Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-29-2016, 08:00 PM
IZON's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844678
IZON Reputation: 10
Default Air 540

Hey folks,

Why there is no dust filter on the intake for the power supply? Is there an explanation from the corsair guys according to that?
They could have recessed the side panel just a little bit to use one of the magnetic dust filters OR something on the inside of that panel some hatchets or rails and a dust filter like they use for bottom mount psus.

Would be great to see this improvement on a maybe version 2.0 of this case.

Old 03-30-2016, 06:51 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844733
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Cost would be one reason. We would certainly see filters for the bottom, top, and rear before a specific power supply filter. Adding $40 to a mid-range price case would likely have a negative effect on sales. More to the point, not everyone needs filters all over the place. The need is specific to your environment and there is a cost to using them in terms of airflow and fan speeds. Since filters are not exactly hard to come by, this is something the average user can acquire and install on their own.

If you do have a tough environment and thus the need, you might take a look at DEMCiflex's 540 filter kit. You can buy them individually and there is a PSU "side filter". The filters are flexible, low profile, and magnetic. I am using one on the bottom of my 540. South Africa is a long way off for most people, but some computer specialty stores keep them in stock so you might be able to find them locally online. If not, the postage might be worth it for a custom designed set of filters.

Old 03-30-2016, 12:38 PM
IZON's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844791

As I understand. Dust filters are on the intakes so not all over the place. Why would you dust filter the front and the bottom and the top but not the rear? It makes no sense

Old 03-30-2016, 02:15 PM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844807
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by IZON View Post
As I understand. Dust filters are on the intakes so not all over the place. Why would you dust filter the front and the bottom and the top but not the rear? It makes no sense
I am assuming you unintentionally contradicted yourself. People request filters for those locations far more often than a power supply filter. You can't make assumptions about their airflow direction or their case layout. There are reasons why all of those may require filters. A request for a power supply filter on a side mounted opening is rare. If your environment is such that you genuinely need one for that location, you likely need one for everywhere. Either way, the need for these is far from universal and each adds cost to the product. That was the answer to your question.

Old 03-30-2016, 08:23 PM
IZON's PC Specs

POST ID # = 844838

Much obliged ;-)

Old 04-04-2016, 09:23 PM
What am I doing here?
equlizer34's PC Specs

POST ID # = 845521
equlizer34 Reputation: 10

I bought a 140mm magnetic filter and placed it over top the power supply air vents. It's not too bad after a month.