The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-26-2019, 08:02 PM

POST ID # = 1005839
baneling Reputation: 10
Default fan on the RM650x

Hi all, on the RM650x, does the fan blow air inside the PSU or does it blow hot air out?

Old 05-27-2019, 01:09 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005849
DevBiker Reputation: 88

It pulls air in the top (the grill) and out the back.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 05-27-2019, 07:07 AM

POST ID # = 1005862

thanks. I have an i7-9700k, with a 1050Ti video card, 1 SSD and 1HDD, 1 DVD drive, Nocuta NH-D15s heatsink and fan. do you think that will be enough load for the PSU to have to use its fan?

Old 05-27-2019, 10:20 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005876

While gaming ... perhaps. You should have the fan directly intake from the outside. Most cases have this designed into the case where the PSU mounts.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 05-27-2019, 11:30 AM

POST ID # = 1005888

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
While gaming ... perhaps. You should have the fan directly intake from the outside. Most cases have this designed into the case where the PSU mounts.
it seems my case is designed with the PSU at the bottom and with the fan facing down. I don't think I can change that. but why does it matter if the fan is blowing air inside the PSU and the side with the holes for the hot air to go out is facing the back of the case?

Old 05-27-2019, 12:41 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1005894

Quote:
Originally Posted by baneling View Post
it seems my case is designed with the PSU at the bottom and with the fan facing down. I don't think I can change that. but why does it matter if the fan is blowing air inside the PSU and the side with the holes for the hot air to go out is facing the back of the case?
That's pretty normal these days. The fan should be facing the bottom; it will intake from there.
Air inside the case will be warmer than ambient. So this ensures that the PSU has a dedicated source of the coolest air possible (room ambient). That's how it should be installed. Don't be like the Verge and install it with the fan facing up.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 06-19-2019, 12:57 AM

POST ID # = 1008458
Pocah Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by baneling View Post
Hi all, on the RM650x, does the fan blow air inside the PSU or does it blow hot air out?
Depends what case you have and which way up you place the PSU. Most cases these days face the PSU down and draw air in from the outside and return it to the outside, but that's not always what happens.

Under idle conditions your PC will only be using around 100W so the PSU fan will not be running. That load will increase to 200W or so when you are gaming, so after a little while the PSU fan will come on.

It would help if you explained why you wanted to know, then we could offer some meaningful advice. If you are asking is this enough ventilation for the case, no, it's not.

Tags
air, fan, hot, psu, rm650x