Corsair Community

TX750 Won't Power On

csaari

Hi everyone! New member here.

I decided to upgrade the video card in my home-built PC. My old power supply didn't have enough power to run the new card, so I picked up a TX750. I hooked it up, and when I plugged in the power cord, and turned the switch on the power supply on, my case fans started spinning very slowly. When I hit the power button on the PC, nothing happened.

I have a basic power supply tester, which just has LEDs for each of the power rails. When I plug the 24 pin motherboard connector into the tester, and turn on the power supply, all the fans run at their normal speed, and all the LEDs light up except for the one for -5v. (I have not tried the paper clip test....)

Does it sound like I have a bad power supply? I bought it at a local retailer, so I can take it back and exchange it for another one. I don't currently have another power supply I can try, nor can I easily try the TX750 in another PC. I can put the old video card and power supply back in, just to make sure everything still works, but of course, I'd prefer not to.

Well, thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Clint

Okay, thanks for the quick reply! That makes sense about the -5v rail.

Do you have any other suggestions as to what I should check? In addition to the new video card, I am running one SATA hard drive, 2 DVD drives, a water pump (not sure on its specs off the top of my head), and a couple of temperature sensors. Is it possible the 750w isn't big enough? I did take the new card back out, but I still couldn't get it to power on.

Thanks again for your help, I greatly appreciate it!

I'm working off of memory, as I'm at work and the PC is at home....

I believe what I did was plug in all the connections for the power supply, and then plugged in the power cord. So far, nothing is happening. Then I flipped the switch on the back of the power supply on. I noticed that the case fans started spinning very slowly, and I think the display on my DigitalDoc fan controller/temp sensor turned on, but without its backlighting. Next, I pressed the power button on the front of the PC case, and nothing at all happened. The fans don't run at their normal speeds, the water pump doesn't kick on, the computer doesn't act like anything is happening.

Now, when I plugged the 24 pin connector into my power supply tester, everything acted normal. When I switched on the power supply, all the fans turned on, the water pump kicked on, and the DigitalDoc and water temp sensor readouts turned on as normal, with backlighting.

I'll mess with it some more when I get home, and see if I forgot anything.

• Corsair Employee
I would disconnect every component from both the PSU and motherboard that you do not 100% need in order to get the system to boot up into the BIOS. Boot up with mobo, CPU, video card, one memory module and the PSU, and let us know if there is any difference.

Okay, so the PC was unplugged from the wall outlet all day. When I got home, I plugged it in, flipped the switch on the PSU, and hit the power button on the PC. All the fans and water pump turned on for about 2 seconds, and just when I thought it was going to boot, the whole system cut off. After, that, the power button wouldn't do anything, until I unplugged the AC cord for a minute or two, then I could repeat it running for about 2 seconds.

I unplugged everything except for what you suggested, and I get the same result. The PSU fan kicks on for about 2 seconds, and then it cuts off. Then I can unplug it, let it sit for a minute, and then repeat.

Well, I found out the AS8 is only ATX12v1, so that may be the problem.

Unfortunately, in the meantime, I think I have managed to take out the MB. I put my original video card back in, along with my other power supply, and I get absolutely nothing. The POST display on the MB flashes some different digits, and I can't seem to find what they mean exactly. If I plug in my PSU tester, the power supply comes on, as do any fans connected to it, and everything seems to run okay.

• Corsair Employee
Sounds like it could be a compatibility issue. If you have the option, I would test the PSU in a different system, and see if you can duplicate the same issues, or if you can rule out a faulty PSU.

Okay, so I tested both the TX750 and my original power supply in another machine, and they both seem to work fine. Based on the fact that neither will power up my machine, and based on the POST codes the AS8 is throwing, the only thing I can think of is that I managed to fry the MB. Not really a big deal, as it's almost 5 years old.

I was planning to build a new machine around the i7 in the near future, but I'm not quite ready to start on that yet. In order just to get my PC back up and running, I picked up a very cheap Gigabyte GA-G31M-ES2L MB and some DDR2 memory. I'm hoping to continue to use my ol' Pentium 4 CPU for now.

Do you think there's any reason why the TX750 and the Gigabyte MB won't get along?

I appreciate all your help, Ram Guy! These forums are definitely a great resource.

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay in posting my update. I got the new board and memory installed, along with the TX750 power supply, and everything has been running fine.

Oh, the joys of upgrading a 5 year old PC! Thanks again for the help.

Archived