Corsair Community

Air 240 - Will a MSI 970 Gaming Fit

yehoshuaC

Like it says in the title. The MSI GTX 970 Gaming is 141 mm tall with recessed pci-e power plugs and there is a cut out at the beginning for the sli bracket which allows the card to avoid the pci latch on the case. I just don't know if there is enough clearance between the motherboard and the window side panel.

Taking this into account, will this card fit in the Air 240?

I had a conversation with another user last night who had submitted some pictures to a similar thread. He said that both he and a friend had fit an XFX 290 Double D, a card with a 143mm height, into the Air 240 and still had clearance.

I went ahead and ordered the case and will be able to give you my personal experience next week.

That'd be amazing yehoshuaC. I'm dying to replace my HD5870 cards but I'm really looking for the most silent possible option. I hate the EVGA sound, the 980 stock is pretty good but hey, there's no reference cooler for the 970.

Thanks again! I'll be monitoring this thread.

Just to be clear. We are talking about this bad boy right?

http://gamingtilldisconnected.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/MSI-GTX-970-box-and-card.png

• Corsair Employee

Yeah, sorry guys. We tried growing the dimensions of the Air 240 reasonably, but personally I think we should've grown that one about 2mm or so, too.

Why that card specifically, though? The GTX 970 is a 145W part, you shouldn't need a cooler that bulky anyhow. It's massive overkill.

Why that card specifically, though? The GTX 970 is a 145W part, you shouldn't need a cooler that bulky anyhow. It's massive overkill.

It's definitely one of the best 970 cards available at the moment, and the problem isn't just with the MSI card, it's with almost all of the 970's. Unless it's an EVGA or "reference" cooler it will not fit in the AIR 240 which is really disappointing.

The same statement goes for tower air coolers, with 120mm of clearance none of the highly rated and regularly recommended cooler will fit in a case with Air in its name.

Small form factor is great and all, but it shouldn't kill your options for parts.

the MSI is crazy silent, i heard the EVGA one with the ACX something cooler, it's noisy compared to the MSI cooler.

My pc is currently not as silent as I want it to be, I have to return my H100i because of high pitched noise coming from the pump, but besides that noise, there is no noise, my pc is pretty much silent.

I'm getting the 350D instead. Corsair is love corsair is life.

Hi folks, so what is the ideal GTX 970 (non ref) to drop into this case? With a consideration for SLI in the future?

Thanks.

Your best bet will be to wait for the EVGA GTX 970 FTW Edition, it has a modified version of the ACX 2.0 cooler with a plate covering the heatpipe contact points allowing for even contact between the die and all 3 pipes (as opposed to the current offerings where only 2 out of 3 make full contact). It should be out near the end of this or and the beginning of next. That's what I'll be picking up.

• Corsair Employee
It's definitely one of the best 970 cards available at the moment, and the problem isn't just with the MSI card, it's with almost all of the 970's. Unless it's an EVGA or "reference" cooler it will not fit in the AIR 240 which is really disappointing.

The same statement goes for tower air coolers, with 120mm of clearance none of the highly rated and regularly recommended cooler will fit in a case with Air in its name.

Small form factor is great and all, but it shouldn't kill your options for parts.

I agree with you that's kind of an oddball thing. But if the Air 240 doesn't suit your needs, you can either get that cooler clearance you want with Mini-ITX and the 250D, or Micro-ATX and the 350D.

There are still good low profile coolers that'll fit in the Air 240, but obviously we tend to prioritize using CLCs since those are the coolers we produce and the Air 240 can fit an H105 in push-pull with a reference GTX 780. ;)

• 2 weeks later...
That one will, actually. The G1 Gaming GTX 970 doesn't have the height issue the other cards mentioned here do.

I'm a huge fan of corsair products and was thinking about macro/ mini itx built especially the corsair air 240 as the main case, but the only problem is stopping me is if the G1 gaming 970 gtx really fit the 240 air. It says that the air 240 Maximum GPU Length: 290mm while the length of the G1 gaming 970 GTX is L=312mm, W=129mm, H=43mm. I'm trying to run x2 970 GTX G1 gaming in sli + h100i in front. Can anyone confirm that it really does fit i would appreciate it.

I'm not sure about the width, other than I guess you can fit a 4 slot card, if one exists.

As far as the height, measuring from the top of my standard height, (111mm) video card to the inside of the window, I come up with 22mm. That would put the maximum around 133mm. There is a little flexibility with the door, so you might fit a card a millimeter or too higher, but I wouldn't consider that "fitting".

• 2 months later...
Yeah, sorry guys. We tried growing the dimensions of the Air 240 reasonably, but personally I think we should've grown that one about 2mm or so, too.

Not fitting the MSI GTX 970 is a real disappointment as I finally found a case that would make go down to micro atx maybe in the version corsair can make it a little bigger.

I've had my MSI card since launch so I can't really swap it for a lower card.

• 11 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
Hi guys.

Will a Gainward gtx970 Phantom fit?

That card is only 112mm in height, there should be enough clearance. Air240 can actually do up to 135mm comfortably, anything taller is a bit tight. You should be fine.

• 1 month later...

Not fitting the MSI GTX 970 is a real disappointment as I finally found a case that would make go down to micro atx maybe in the version corsair can make it a little bigger.

I've had my MSI card since launch so I can't really swap it for a lower card.

I've been bumming about the same thing, but I'm quite happy with the build overall. Even considered letting the plastic press against the card but it's too much force on the part and scratches the hell out of the panel. Attached is how I got past it without buying another case.

http://i.imgur.com/mdjHzjN.jpg?3

Just moving the panel to the outside of the case makes plenty of room. Used (in the photo) magnets, and black magnetic tape attempting to cover the unsightly edges. Might as well be bondo and JB Weld, because it still looks like hell. Crap made out of what was originally, and expected to be, a very attractive case.

If Corsair would make a variant of this same plastic cover that still anchored itself on the inside of the cover plate, but extended the plastic panel itself so that it protruded outward like 1/16" to 1/8", it'd be totally usable with this card (and any other like it) and would still look very nice. What's the chances of that happening? Otherwise, anybody know somewhere one could go to get such a thing custom made?

If Corsair would make a variant of this same plastic cover that still anchored itself on the inside of the cover plate, but extended the plastic panel itself so that it protruded outward like 1/16" to 1/8", it'd be totally usable with this card (and any other like it) and would still look very nice. What's the chances of that happening? Otherwise, anybody know somewhere one could go to get such a thing custom made?

This right here! I just upgraded from a Gigabyte GTX 970 G1 Gaming card to an MSI 980TI without realizing the width of the card would be an issue. I'd love to have a replacement window that gave me the extra 1/2" of clearance that I need instead of hacking something together to do it myself.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys,

Happened to get a graphics card first before a casing and was leading towards this Air 240. The thing is, I think I got a card that's too huge. Its this Zotac 980ti.

Dimensions as below:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v493/Strack/IMG_1117_zpsckacke1f.jpg

Basically: L310mm x W57mm x H122mm (Hope I measured them correctly)

Question is, will it fit into Air 240? Its practically the better-looking and 'smaller' ones around that I think will be just nice. :o:

Basically: L310mm x W57mm x H122mm (Hope I measured them correctly)

I think the measurement everyone is using is to the bottom of the PCB. Just because about touching the metal tape measure to the PCI contacts.

Archived