Corsair Community

Corsair 650W RM650 Fully modular PSU clicks

N1K

Dear community,

recently I have bought a new PC configuration and I have a question regarding my Corsair 650W RM650 Fully modular PSU.

I've noticed that this PSU makes a click once the PC turns ON/OFF or resume/goes to standby. I presumed and confirmed online that this behavior is by default.

Most of our power supply units (PSUs) have an inrush current bypass relay that makes a *click* noise when the PC turns on and off. This is considered normal and not a defect.

What I have also noticed is that it also makes after 5-10 minutes after I start to play a game. Is that also normal? What is happening inside the PSU at this point?

Thanks,

Nik

• Corsair Employee

That is correct.

The click when you on/off: It is the inrush current limiter relay. Any modern PSU is going to have this feature.

The click a few minutes after you start gaming: That's the fan controller turning the fan on.

Edited by jonnyguru

That is correct.

The click when you on/off: It is the inrush current limiter relay. Any modern PSU is going to have this feature.

The click a few minutes after you start gaming: That's the fan controller turning the fan on.

Thanks jonnyguru!

Br,

Nik

• 5 weeks later...
I have the same PSU and I barely notice it. The load on mine is low so the fan never comes on.

The onrush circuit is also pretty quiet too.

Well, my whole setup is ultra-quiet and you can hear the PSU fan, but once it's off you can't hear anything even from a few centimeters.