Corsair Community

Unstable system, Corsair AX760i made it worse...

choncie

Hi,

My system is the Cyberpower Gamer Xtreme 1502 (GX1502). It has a Radeon R9 270 2GB graphics card. (full specs are here: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...). No overclocking on anything. I've added a few additional HDDs.

Original problem was that during gameplay, sometimes either the game would crash randomly or the screen would black out and the "display driver not responding" error displays. I have the latest BIOS, latest AMD drivers, windows 8 x64 with latest windows updates.

I suspected a PSU problem based on forum posts & other online info, so I installed a new Corsair AX760i PSU (self test before install showed fine) since cyberpower systems tend to ship with cheap PSUs and this seems to be a common problem.

So the system booted up fine, I installed the corsair link app, & started to play watchdogs. After a couple minutes, the whole system turned off with no warning and would not power back on. Toggled the power switch off then on and then the system came back up but the same issue happened again.

Had to leave the system off for some time in order for it to reboot (it would start to boot & then just power off again over & over). Once it was back up I turned on the corsair link logging and let it sit there. It eventually just powered off spontaneously. The corsair logs show no temp issues, all temps were normal on all components. I ensured all the power connections were firmly in place and that the radeon card was fully seated etc. After many experiments, including successfully running a directx benchmarker for a couple hours with no problem, followed by a spontaneous power off, I began thinking the new PSU was more sensitive to faulty components, so my suspicions fell on the Radeon card.

But, I removed that and I tried another older radeon card I have, the HD 6670 and ran a directX benchmarker, eventually as it was running the system powered off. I've also tried booting with just the bare minimum stuff connected (motherboard, graphics, main HDD), but still issues so now I'm now suspicious of the motherboard. I ran a full suite of memtest86 tests with no issues found so probably not the DRAM.

Another weird bit is if windows is running & I select 'restart', when the system reboots, the system shuts down, then powers on and then immediately off over & over. I have to hard reset the PSU to get it to start booting again.

So now I've put the old PSU back, with the completely original setup restored (all original components in and connected up). I have run directx benchmark (btw, using Heaven DX11 free benchmark app) for several hours with no issues. Seems the system was much more unstable under the corsair PSU, but I'm thinking that may just be a symptom of some other fundamental problem, ie, motherboard or something else.

Finally, I just spent ~3 hr playing watchdogs last night. There was a hang where the whole screen went dark/light gray in a kind of diamond pattern & required a full reboot (hold power button for a few sec). But aside from that, no crashes, no power offs. Should I just be happy with that?! :\ The PC this one replaced never crashed - once in a blue moon maybe. Just need to decide whether an RMA is worth it... :(

I'm at a bit of a loss. Cyberpower has offered to authorize an RMA, my concern is they will get it back and run their diags/burn-in and declare "no problem found" - it's a pain to send a monster desktop PC for service so was hoping to avoid that or at least have a high level of confidence as to what the actual problem is beforehand.

Let me know your thoughts, thanks!

-c

Archived