Corsair Community

Problem with new Reactor 60GB

kruncher

I have just purchased a Corsair Reactor Series 60GB (CSSD-R60GB2-BRKT) SSD drive and am having some problems.

Initially I installed Windows 7 32-bit on the drive. Occasionally when I restart the machine (or go into sleep mode) the BIOS fails to detect the drive.

After a search on Google I found that several people were having this same issue, and followed their recommendation of switching my BIOS from IDE mode to AHCI. I then reinstalled Windows 7 (but this time the 64-bit version).

I am still having problems with the drive vanishing upon reboot. I get an error message "BOOTMGR is missing." If I switch the computer off at the mains and then on again, the computer appears to work fine. This is a serious problem with the sleep mode though!!

About 30 minutes ago things were even worse because I switched the computer on and Windows started, but my desktop background had gone, it wouldn't let me select a different one. In fact, I was not able to write ANY data to the SSD. I couldn't even create an empty text file by right-clicking the desktop, a message box said that the drive was probably read-only.

So I switched the computer off at the mains, and then switched it back on again. This time Windows initiated CHKDSK which stated that it had recovered numerous orphan files (whatever that is). The computer then restarted itself and started Windows as usual.

Things seem to be fine again (until further data corruption or missing SSD). In fact I am writing this message on the computer now.

I have always trusted Corsair products and have used Corsair RAM without problems for years. I am really surprised that I am having so much trouble with this SSD, and am shocked at how many people are complaining of similar issues in various forums.

Please can you help me with this issue?

Kind regards,

Hi kruncher

A number of us are experiencing this exact issue, you can subscribe to THIS thread just in case any news/announcement/updates happen to appear there.

On the plus side, I'm quite gladdened by RAM GUY's post;

...there will be a solution for this soon.

which is the most positive statement regarding this issue I've read in a while. ;):

We're all hoping soon will be very soon.

I have always trusted Corsair products and have used Corsair RAM without problems for years. I am really surprised that I am having so much trouble with this SSD

I had the same reaction. :nodding:

• Corsair Employee

For the drive you have there should not be any problem with the drive, but please go to Power Management in the BIOS and make sure the system is set to S1 and S3 not one or the other and that you are using AHCI mode.

However I would suggest you just use Suspend to Disk rather than suspend to RAM.

> For the drive you have there should not be any problem with the drive

There is definitely a problem here, and I am not the only person experiencing it.

> but please go to Power Management in the BIOS and make sure the system is set to S1 and S3 not one or the other

My BIOS is set to S3

> and that you are using AHCI mode

I stated that I was using AHCI mode in my original post.

When I tried to boot my computer today it failed every time with the message "BOOTMGR is missing." The only way that I could get it to boot was to switch it from AHCI back to IDE. I am about to reboot the system again and revert back to AHCI.

There is definitely a problem with this device. Before I purchased this drive I actually asked if it was compatible with my motherboard, and a member of your team said that it would definitely work.

As mentioned in my first post, I switched from IDE to AHCI and then installed Windows 7 64-bit.

My problem is occurring BEFORE the OS even comes into play. Sometimes the BIOS doesn't detect the SSD, and other times Windows fails to boot. For the prior case a cold boot resolves the problem for one boot. With regards to Windows failing to boot, the only solution is to change AHCI to IDE temporarily for one boot into Windows, and then turning it back to AHCI again afterwards. The Windows problem usually occurs if I switch the computer off and on again without switching off at the wall.

I have already verified that Windows 7 is using AHCI as this was my first thought on the matter.

• 4 weeks later...

Okay, I have just upgraded my motherboard (I haven't returned SSD yet because I wanted to try it on another board first). So far it seems to be working great without any of the previous problems (only time will tell).

It seems that your SSDs are not compatible with "Abit AW9D-MAX".

I am now using a "Gigabyte H55M-S2H" motherboard.

> Are you sure its not the other way around?

Quite possibly.

If Windows 7 goes into sleep mode, when it resumes sometimes I get the blue screen of death. The SSD for some reason is not detected when resuming from sleep (sometimes). A cold boot resolves the issue.

It now only seems to happen when Windows 7 sleeps. Any ideas?

I was unable to find any "Hybrid Suspend" options nor a "Suspend to Disk" option.

The only option that I could see was to switch to either S1 or S3. It was set to S3 by default (labelled suspend to RAM). So I have changed this to S1.

You are probably already aware, but this is an AWARD BIOS.

Is S1 the same as "Suspend to Disk"?

• Corsair Employee
Where can I find this option under Windows 7?

A: Power Options/ Control Panel/Category small Icons to show all options)/ Power Settings/Change Plan options then select Advanced.

Under my BIOS I only seem to be able to select one or the other. There isn't an "S1 & S3" option that I can see?

A: Talk to the MB maker and see if there is a BIOS update but yes with some MB's you may not have the option for both.

Archived