Corsair Community

H90 liquid cooling - rattle sound at full rpm

BurnedRope

Hi all,

I've got my pump running at full speed 24/7 (I don't see why you should run the pump at anything less than high speed - you can your cpu as cool as possible as much as possible, right?) and I've noticed that from time to time there'll be a rattling sound.

I have confirmed it is the pump making the noise by turning each fan off in turn (including the one pulling air through the radiator). Also, turning the fan down to below 1400/1450 rpm makes the rattling stop.

I've googled around a bit and it seems the solutions offered mainly consist of running the pump at 90% of max speed. Is that the only solution going around?

Is it something I can/should RMA?

If this is so,its a fan,not the pump rattling...

Yeah, sorry, I meant when I turned the pump down to 1400/1450rpm.

I have noticed that HWinfo reports my rpm to be 1493 average even with the max level set to 1450.

I have had to use DC mode fan control for my other fans due to them being only 3-pin types.

I wonder if that means the cpu fan (where the pump is plugged) is also being DC mode controlled and that explains the difference (and possibly that at 1500rpm the voltage was actually too high and causing overspeed?).

Edit: I've set the control mode to pwm for the cpu fan in BIOS. I'll see how that goes.

Well since switching to PWM mode for the cpu_fan header and setting it to run in turbo (max) mode, the pump is running at full speed without the noise.

Makes me think the DC mode control method was the issue? Is it possible it could have been putting in too many volts and causing the pump to over-spin?

I'll monitor it and report back.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

CCL Online tested the cooler and said there's nothing wrong with it. They're returning the device to me. In the meantime I had bought a different cooler.

So what can I do? Put it on eBay? I'm not sure I know where all the various screws are - they kinda got mixed in with the other screws during my build.

Is there a comprehensive parts list that came with the H90 so I can atleast make a potential buyer aware of what's missing?

Archived