Corsair Community

Question about Force 3 1.3 firmware for LPM reg fix users

Solid T

Regarding the Force 3 1.3 firmware update. I had been experiencing frequent freezing on my system as others had. However, after I applied the LPM registry fix, I have not yet experienced any problems on my system.

In this case, does Corsair recommend that I do not update my firmware? Or, do you recommend that I undo my registry changes, and then apply the 1.3 firmware update? Or, should I just leave my SSD firmware at 1.2 with the LPM registry fix?

I would appreciate some advice on this matter. Thanks.

Well, I had obviously read that on both the post and the pdf before posting my question.

The fact is, my SSD was NOT stable before using a fix that originated outside of Corsair (as far as I know).

I'll just take your NO answer for what it is and not expect any specifics at this time.

Well, I had obviously read that on both the post and the pdf before posting my question.

The fact is, my SSD was NOT stable before using a fix that originated outside of Corsair (as far as I know).

I'll just take your NO answer for what it is and not expect any specifics at this time.

I think the LPM registry fix came from Intel for a problem not related to the SF-2281 controller, though I can't say for sure, as for here, it was recommended by users.

As for your drive, I think Corsair doesn't want any users not currently having issues to take a chance on the F/W, though its intended to fix the problems with the Force Series SATAIII drives it may cause problems as every system is different and may react differently to it, most manufacturers take that stance when it comes to new BIOS and F/W, and as this F/W is a one way street if you do run into problems with it you won’t be able to go back to a stable system.

Personally I say stick with it as is unless stability begins to degrade then flash to the new Firmware.

Thanks for the response TheOne687.

I wasn't sure if "those who are stable with the current 1.2 firmware" referred to those who didn't have to use any fixes at all to get their SSDs to work. Since many users on this forum didn't find success with the LPM fix, I wasn't sure if my success was just luck, a temporary solution, or a permanent solution.

Anyway, sticking with 1.2 while keeping an eye on stability and performance is obviously a good idea. Thanks again for you input.

Thanks for the response TheOne687.

I wasn't sure if "those who are stable with the current 1.2 firmware" referred to those who didn't have to use any fixes at all to get their SSDs to work. Since many users on this forum didn't find success with the LPM fix, I wasn't sure if my success was just luck, a temporary solution, or a permanent solution.

Anyway, sticking with 1.2 while keeping an eye on stability and performance is obviously a good idea. Thanks again for you input.

Good luck with the drive. :):

I was 98% stable with my gt 120gb but every great now and again I would get a freeze when using firefox just like other users described. Only happened when I was using the PC hardcore for hours... well hardcore surfing anyways. So I updated just today to 1.3. Will see if it makes a difference!

Also I changed a number of other things such as....

- Changed registry to run ahci

- Then changed bios to run ahci

- Manually set the trim command to on

I can say without a question, that turning on ahci ROCKS ME SOCKS! Good lord did it speed up windows boot times and also the overall feel of everything. I thought it was fast previously but now it is crazy fast. I did notice my HDD score lower in windows from 7.8 to 7.5 over the last few weeks so hoping that TRIM fixes this. Will test that again in a few days.

So anyways, the other things I did besides the firmware were drastic improvements to my system. Now just blasting away on the net to see if it fixed any of my rare freeze issues. If I cannot get it to freeze over the next several days, I will report back as I could at least get it to do it once a day under heavy use.

Prior to RMA'ing my serial # 1126, I did vastly increase my system stability by doing a secure erase, re-installing my drive image, and using the LPM registry fix. After that, to check stability, I disabled sleep, and left my laptop on 24/7. It would still BSOD, and fail to recognize the drive when it attempted to re-boot, every 2-4 days.

i think the LPM registry fixed did take place, I've updated my force3 120gb from fw 1.2 to 1.3, and did the LPM registry fixed, the freeze seems to be gone, but I've already changed my browser from firefox to chrome, my WEI HDD score is 7.9

Archived