The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 584 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-28-2012, 10:16 AM

POST ID # = 622141
Gosforth Reputation: 10
Default I'm very sceptical about this information.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAM GUY View Post
[B]We have seen that the CPU power saving features in the BIOS can cause the PSU to emit the noise. Try disabling these features to see if there is any improvement. ERP, C1E and EIST (Enhanced Intel Speedstep Technology) are few examples of power saving settings, but your motherboard manufacturer should be able to tell you specifically which features your board supports.
Telling straight; in which magical way processor would have influence on PSU fan speed (influence on noise)? There is NO connection between these two components.
ESP 24-pin standard (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATX) does not have any pin that would control the speed or send information between PSU and motherboard.
Sorry, I do not believe in that.

Old 01-14-2013, 03:12 PM
Robsinfo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626323
Robsinfo Reputation: 10
Default TX750 Whine when mouse cursor moves

I purchased a TX750 less then a month ago. There is chirping noise from the PSU when the mouse is moved on the screen. Really annoying when the system is set to silent mode.

To further isolate, and identify the issue... I flipped over the PSU to inspect the fan. The fan is not rotating ( hence the system is not under load ). With every mouse movement the fan attempts to rotate ( a slight motion to turn ) but does not. With the slight fan motion the chirping sound is produced.

Is this a PSU fan issue? or is it a coil issue ?

I can RMA this with the store where it was purchased... but I would hate to have this repeated with the replacement. I will test it with the system under slight loads ( when the fan is moving) and post my findings.

Last edited by Robsinfo; 01-14-2013 at 03:18 PM.

Old 01-14-2013, 11:47 PM
Robsinfo's PC Specs

POST ID # = 626549
Robsinfo Reputation: 10
Default Update: TX750 chirping with mouse movement

Ran a few tests...
1. optical mouse causes no issues with the PSU
2. invisible optical mouse (has no red light) causes no issues
3. laser mouse causes chirping sounds in the PSU
4. I changed the PSU in my system with one from my other machine... there was no chirping from any mouse activity.

My conclusion so far... TX750 PSU is faulty and may get worse over time - best to RMA it.

If anyone disagrees, or has a solution please share.

Old 01-27-2013, 10:37 PM
vladsinger's PC Specs

POST ID # = 629672
vladsinger Reputation: 10

Had the fan stalling same issue with my TX650 and got it replaced, fan seems to spin up properly now, didn't have anything to do with mouse motion to my knowledge.
The replacement produces a quiet rattling noise most of the time when the fan isn't spinning, doesn't sound like coil whine. I would RMA it again, but it seems that the odds that my money for return shipping would be wasted with the odds of irritating noises on this particular series of PSUs. I may have to just sell it and get something a bit more expensive and genuinely quiet.

Old 02-05-2013, 04:56 PM
idgforum's PC Specs

POST ID # = 631919
idgforum Reputation: 10

RMA queation - Send in the hole packet or can I send in only the PSU? Its to punish the consumer to get here a bad 1800 EU product and then let the customer slave with all cables again.

Old 02-25-2013, 11:10 PM
djpaliobcn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 636263
djpaliobcn Reputation: 10
Angry

I have the same problem with Corsair TX850 new, i buyed 2 days ago and today when i connect to pc, i hear the strange soung, like a telegraphist. My computer have liquid cooling and the only sound that i hear is the power supply.

Before this PS I have Tagan Bz-1100W and no problem for 4 years and never do sound, and this PS is not cheap...

I will go to the shop where i buyed that change for antother one and if it persist, change for other mark... :S

Old 02-26-2013, 05:24 PM
Youri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 636428
Youri Reputation: 10

I also have this noize comming from my ax 860 i its a high pitched noize for as long as my power suply gets power and my pc is turned of. I'm wondering if it'll go away with time or if i'm the cause

Old 02-28-2013, 07:35 PM
LiptonICEI's PC Specs

POST ID # = 636956
LiptonICEI Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robsinfo View Post
I purchased a TX750 less then a month ago. There is chirping noise from the PSU when the mouse is moved on the screen. Really annoying when the system is set to silent mode.

To further isolate, and identify the issue... I flipped over the PSU to inspect the fan. The fan is not rotating ( hence the system is not under load ). With every mouse movement the fan attempts to rotate ( a slight motion to turn ) but does not. With the slight fan motion the chirping sound is produced.

Is this a PSU fan issue? or is it a coil issue ?

I can RMA this with the store where it was purchased... but I would hate to have this repeated with the replacement. I will test it with the system under slight loads ( when the fan is moving) and post my findings.

Ey, I have the same problem with mouse.

Old 03-20-2013, 10:42 AM

POST ID # = 641653
ee_guy Reputation: 10

I purchased a 650TX about 5 months ago. The entire time i kept hearing a whining noise from the computer. Tracked it down yesterday. I don't understand why the manufacturer has not copted to the poor PWM design. It looks like the code/design was put together by the college intern who only works once a week and left before finishing the job. The thermistor is in a poor place, directly in line with the fan and not near the actual major heat generating voltage regulators. Also the code your 16pin micro controller is running is poor. It only supports a small range of voltage values roughly 7.5V-5V and gets into the dreaded infinite on off loop. You guys really need to sit down and fix the code/move the thermistor to a more effect spot inside the supply and most user issues would be solved. Try adding a simple timer or minimum on time when it has decided to run the fan. EX. Lower threshold reached, run the fan on low for 2 mins. Then check the voltage after the thermistor again and turn it off or keep it on. Don't have it bouncing around on/off.. I will never buy another Corsair supply if this kind of quality can be expected. For those of you who are interested, ill post pictures and findings from inside the supply when i get a moment to upload them.

Old 03-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Skep's PC Specs

POST ID # = 641849
Skep Reputation: 10

I have recently purchased a system with a Corsair Gaming Series GS800 PSU in it. When the PC has been on for about an hour or so, the PSU will start making a very audible whining noise for several seconds whenever the HDD is being accessed.

Every single time I open a web browser, a video or even the simplest little file the PSU will whine for a few seconds and then stop again. It sounds like the fan is revving up. This is especially annoying when playing video games, as the noise will come and go every few seconds. It only goes away after the PC has been turned off for at least an hour, even though temperature and voltage values are excellent. Anyone have any experience with this? It's driving me mad.

Old 03-21-2013, 01:34 PM

POST ID # = 641955
ee_guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skep View Post
I have recently purchased a system with a Corsair Gaming Series GS800 PSU in it. When the PC has been on for about an hour or so, the PSU will start making a very audible whining noise for several seconds whenever the HDD is being accessed.

Every single time I open a web browser, a video or even the simplest little file the PSU will whine for a few seconds and then stop again. It sounds like the fan is revving up. This is especially annoying when playing video games, as the noise will come and go every few seconds. It only goes away after the PC has been turned off for at least an hour, even though temperature and voltage values are excellent. Anyone have any experience with this? It's driving me mad.
Read my post above, take a look at the fan on your PS for a few minutes. If you see it jostling back and forth and starting and stopping then you have found the source of your issue which was the same as mine.

Old 03-21-2013, 09:04 PM
Skep's PC Specs

POST ID # = 642025
Skep Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ee_guy View Post
Read my post above, take a look at the fan on your PS for a few minutes. If you see it jostling back and forth and starting and stopping then you have found the source of your issue which was the same as mine.
That's not it, though. The fan does very rarely start and immediately stop again, but that's another kind of noise, kind of like a chirping sound. This really sounds like the fan revving up and winding down. The volume is fluctuating constantly, but it doesn't seem to be coming from the fan. It sounds like it's coming from the power supply itself.

Old 04-21-2013, 07:03 AM
hms's PC Specs

POST ID # = 648286
hms Reputation: 10

Is this censored board ? where my post went ?

Old 08-08-2013, 10:31 AM
quiggy2512's PC Specs

POST ID # = 669056
quiggy2512 Reputation: 10

my hx1050 took a dive a couple of days ago man , buzzing humming crackling no fan, fan spins for 2 secs then stops, swapped it out with an identical supply everything fine, i`m running out of options weather to grab an ax1200 or an ax 1200i to replace it or go to another company

Old 08-23-2013, 09:03 AM
Xenofin's PC Specs

POST ID # = 671265
Xenofin Reputation: 10

I upgraded my PC with new ASUS Maximus VI Hero motherboard, i7-4770K CPU and added 2 RAM sticks totalling now 4, and a new Intel 330 SSD for OS drive. Also OS was upgraded from Windows 7 x64 Pro to Windows 8 x64 Pro.

Immediately after I got system running with default settings I noticed that my Corsair HX-750 PSU is the loudest component. It is not the coil whine but a fan which is running with high speed even if system is idle. My total system power consumption now is much lower than 160W at idle with older components (I have not yet had possibility to measure it). I also use these new power saving features of 4770K CPU + Z87-chipset.

This loud noise coming from my PSU i.e. fan running with higher than required speed never happened with older system with Windows 7 when I ran my system overclocked and no power saving features in Windows were on (or perhaps Balanced mode was selected). Earlier I could not hear PSU fan from 2m distance even if all other fans were stopped.

My PSU was installed first time in 01/2010 and is under warranty.

I have not tested if removing C7 -state (new feature with Haswell) and other power saving features could help because one of the major point upgrading my PC was to have them in use.

Otherwise, all is working well and voltage levels are good and no major fluctuation even in high load. My case is well ventilated Obsidian 700D and I removed and cleaned as much dust as I could from inside the PSU with pressurized air.

Does this fan noise mean that it is dying? Or do you suspect that power saving features have something to do with the fan noise?

Closed Thread