Corsair Community

Running LL120 w/o motherboard

grabbou

Hey,

I am building a project where I would like to use LL-120 fans to provide lightning. It's not a PC and there's no way to have ICUE software running in order to control the fans.

I have checked the Internet for alternatives that come with a built-in remote controller, but they are all poor quality and nowhere close to LL-120 appearance.

I've read there's "hardware lightning" mode available in ICUE and I was wondering if that could work in my case. I would plug the whole setup once to a PC in order to configure the hardware lightning and then, run them in "detached mode", without motherboard connected.

My question is whether this setup would work and if not, what would be your recommendation.

The hardware playback mode should work in this case, but it's very limited in the effects you can use. You can only use basic effects like Rainbow wave and Visor and only one at a time. You also need a Commander PRO to control the fans and a SATA Power supply.

Alternatively you can use an Arduino to control the LL fans, they use the WS2812B protocol for the leds.

Thanks! Is there a list of built in effects available somewhere? I believe that’s still more than e.g. “A-RGB Mini Controller” by Cooler Master offer, being 4 modes and 7 colors.

Not sure if there's a master list somewhere. But you can download iCUE and uncheck "Show only connected devices" and you'll have a "Demo Device" to explore. It'll be under the "Hardware Lighting" tab. Many of the effects can have custom colors.

You'll have:

• Rainbow Wave
  • Rainbow
  • Color Shift
  • Color Pulse
  • Color Wave
  • Sequential
  • Strobing
  • Visor
  • Marquee
  • Temperature
  • Rainbow Channel