The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Notices

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 41 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-22-2013, 09:26 PM
abn505's PC Specs

POST ID # = 683954
abn505 Reputation: 10

Well, the number is 1338, just 5 from the newer lot number. Called Corsair, they said if you are a normal user with a case that is well ventilated, my case is the 750D. We both agree that I should not see the temps we are talking about. At least I have 5 years if it does act up.

Old 11-25-2013, 08:38 AM
abn505's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684336

I have had my RM850 now for two weeks. I have not had any issues, although the fan has never kicked on yet. I have run Futermak 11 and PCmark7 with no issues. Fan still never came on. I did not run them at the same time. I didn't think that was possible. I have my RM850 installed with the fan up. What is the best way, fan up or down? I would think either way is fine, I know up will pull in case air, but I have a 750d case with plenty of air flow. Fan down will pull in air from the bottom, but the small gap betwwen the bottom of the case and the table wouldn't allow for actual room temp air to come in I would think.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:36 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684355
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn505 View Post
I have had my RM850 now for two weeks. I have not had any issues, although the fan has never kicked on yet. I have run Futermak 11 and PCmark7 with no issues. Fan still never came on. I did not run them at the same time. I didn't think that was possible.
I don't think it is. That's why I suggest running Furmark and Prime95 at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abn505 View Post
I have my RM850 installed with the fan up. What is the best way, fan up or down? I would think either way is fine, I know up will pull in case air, but I have a 750d case with plenty of air flow. Fan down will pull in air from the bottom, but the small gap betwwen the bottom of the case and the table wouldn't allow for actual room temp air to come in I would think.
Either way is fine.

Looking at your system specs, I'd say your power requirements are so low that your PSU fan may never turn on. Not unless you put a second graphics card in there.

Old 11-25-2013, 12:59 PM
abn505's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684360

I thought about SLI, but don't know how much I would gain. I suspect not a lot to justify 300 more dollars.

Old 11-25-2013, 01:17 PM
spqr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684362
spqr Reputation: 10

Damn, my RM 750 just arrived, and it is affected by this problem (LOT 1336) :(
Now waiting for answer from Corsair to get a replacement...

Old 11-25-2013, 01:42 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684369
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Vuk, have you used the PSU yet and had any trouble with it? There is no need to have it replaced unless it is going to meet the criteria in the OP.

As long as you have a well ventilated case you shouldn't have any problems.

Old 11-25-2013, 05:35 PM
ICDP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684398
ICDP Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
Well, actually 1355 is greater than 1341, so if that were your serial number, you'd be ok. ;)

But also, that can't be your serial number. Can you take a pic? Reason being: The first two digits are the year (13 = 2013) and the next two are the week (52 = last week of the year), so 1355 is impossible. ;)
Hi, I opened a ticket and called USA tech support and they opened an advance replacement returns for the PSU. Unfortunately the RMA they sent for the original PSU is not prepaid freight costs as mentioned by the OP.

My ticket number is 6261275 and I left another note saying the RMA should be prepaid. Is there anything else I should do to ensure my freight is paid for. The girl on the phone said they would take $120 from my credit card I don't return the original PSU. I don't want to be out of pocket for returning a PSU that has a design flaw.

Incidentally I purchased an extra GTX780 for SLI.

Old 11-27-2013, 07:38 AM
Zapee995's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684683
Zapee995 Reputation: 10

Hello Corsair community! My pc is:

Z77 extreme 6
3770k@~4.6Ghz
Gtx780
XMS3 8Gb 2000Mhz
Samsung 840Pro 128GB
WD 500GB
Corsair TX750M

My computer is under custom watercool with one d5 pump and my pc case corsair air 540.

I purchased the RM850 but didn't tested it yet...The lot number is 1335 and at this point i have to ask..Every RM750/850 below 1341 has this problem or some specific montels??

My room temp is ~22oC an i will test the psu soon. :P

Another thing i want to know is how long does the corsair RMA take?? Thanks in advance.:)

Old 11-28-2013, 12:21 PM
spqr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 684859

Hi!

My first RM750 LOT was 1336.
I got the replacement, the LOT is 1333

It was told, that under 1341, it is factory faulty, now what??
Replacement LOT is 1333, but it's fixed?

+ the nylon was open, which contained the cables... Corsair sending used/repaired PSUs as replacement for brand new? SHAME.

Last edited by spqr; 11-30-2013 at 11:04 AM.

Old 11-30-2013, 03:43 PM
ICDP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685193

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuk View Post
Hi!

My first RM750 LOT was 1336.
I got the replacement, the LOT is 1333

It was told, that under 1341, it is factory faulty, now what??
Replacement LOT is 1333, but it's fixed?

+ the nylon was open, which contained the cables... Corsair sending used/repaired PSUs as replacement for brand new? SHAME.
I did an advance RMA as well. 1st PSU was from lot 1335, the second (replacement) is from the same lot number. Does this mean Corsair sent a similarly affected PSU?

I did get one power off problems (GTX780 SLI) and have not seen it with the new one. Is there way we can tell if our replacement PSU are OK?

Old 11-30-2013, 08:07 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685216
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by vuk View Post
Can't explain why the cable bag was open, but the PSU has only been out for two months so I doubt it's "used". It would take longer than that to process, re-certify, ship, etc.

My best guess? Engineering probably tested the unit before they shipped it and used the cables to hook it up to the Chroma.

Old 12-01-2013, 06:34 AM
spqr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685257

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICDP View Post
I did an advance RMA as well. 1st PSU was from lot 1335, the second (replacement) is from the same lot number. Does this mean Corsair sent a similarly affected PSU?

I did get one power off problems (GTX780 SLI) and have not seen it with the new one. Is there way we can tell if our replacement PSU are OK?
Eh, what a shame...
You applied for another replacement?

I think I will contact corsair again and ask for a replacement with LOT number >1341, this is totally ridiculous....
If they are not willing to replace it, then I am gonna sell this crap as new and buy Seasonic, which is the best anyway.

@ICDP: mine makes a clicking sound when it turns on/off. Is it so with yours too? Weird, coz I have never heard any PSU doing so... I am totally fed up with corsair...

Last edited by spqr; 12-01-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Old 12-01-2013, 11:06 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685285

A lot of PSUs click when they turn on and off. You have a relay in there that switches power from the +5VSB to +5V when turned on.

As for the lot codes you guys are seeing: When the problem was first discovered, a new run of units were not yet in production. I believe they reworked existing production units by adding the second thermistor, so they would not have new serial numbers (although I personally think it would have been wise to somehow mark the units differently).

We're going to confirm this with engineering, but as you may or may not know; it is Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. so nobody is available in the Fremont office to answer these kinds of questions until 12/2.

Old 12-01-2013, 02:01 PM
spqr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685297

Quote:
A lot of PSUs click when they turn on and off. You have a relay in there that switches power from the +5VSB to +5V when turned on.

As for the lot codes you guys are seeing: When the problem was first discovered, a new run of units were not yet in production. I believe they reworked existing production units by adding the second thermistor, so they would not have new serial numbers (although I personally think it would have been wise to somehow mark the units differently).

We're going to confirm this with engineering, but as you may or may not know; it is Thanksgiving holiday in the U.S. so nobody is available in the Fremont office to answer these kinds of questions until 12/2.
Thanks jonnyguru!
I hope so, but the problem is, that I can not even sell this unit with this LOT... Everybody thinks this is faulty one, so I would need another!

Last edited by spqr; 12-02-2013 at 02:25 PM.

Old 12-04-2013, 11:07 AM
ICDP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 685768

Quote:

Thank you for the feedback. I assumed this would be the case with existing stock modified. I will check back after the holiday period to see if there aer further updates.

Closed Thread