Corsair Community

Asus P5N32-SLI Deluxe and ASUS P5N32-E SLI PLUS with Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX G

-Jim-

Hi,

I'm a Newbie here as this is my first time with Corsair Memory, :o: so please be patient.

My Brother and I have different derivatives of the Asus P5N32-SLI motherboard. I have the earlier Deluxe version with an Intel Pentium D 950 3.4 Ghz CPU. I've been wanting to upgrade from some "generic" type RAM for some time, but as his Box (PC) was having serious issues, and we'd change everything out except his Intel Pentium D 3.6 Ghz CPU (his motherboard is brand new, as is the PSU, dual SLi nVidia Video cards, etc.) and the Ram; it became the priority.

But then my Box started acting strange and the Plextor started having errors burning DVDs (never happened before) and eventually failed upon booting at times. I thought this was my image so I was going to use Ghost to re-install. But I was going to replace his RAM first.

I heard great things and posts about Corsair, and decided to purchase their product based on their Customer Service reputation and reliability. (Even if they are more $$.) I checked their Memory configurator and knew which modules were compatable. I wanted 4 gigs even though XP32 bit won't "see" it all and I may move to a 64 Bit OS (my CPU supports it) in the future. I read the Corsair link explaining the benefits /issues of 4 gigs with a 32 bit OS.

So I've been keeping an eye on a local store (NCIX) and noticed they had TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX G on sale with a Rebate from Corsair. (The net price is Sweet!:D: but I hate mail in rebates:mad:!) I phoned my Brother and told him I'd get the Ram today.

I wanted to see if the RAM in my Brother Box would pass Memtest 2.1 (in case we could use some of it on a Box one of his son's has) so I downloaded it last night; and for grins I ran it on my Box to ensure I had burned it to CD correctly. I wasn't expecting it but my RAM failed. (it's 2X 1Gig 4200 CL4 DDR2) I pulled one stick and it passed, so I ran the second stick and it failed. Si I tested it again with the same result.

(I guess I'll try to get a RMA number for it => it's 2 years old but has a Lifetime Warranty. I was told by an authorised dealer that I'd have to deal direct with the OEM and they's do nothing for me That's not service!:evil:.)

So I ended up picking up a set on his account and one for me. Now I get it home and I'm unpacking it as I type this. Inside the folder in the "EASY INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS", at the end, in BOLD it says:

PLEASE NOTE: Corsair's line of 4GB memory kits are designed for PCs featuring 64-bit operating systems. Installing 4GB onto PCs with 32-bit operating systems is not advised nor suported under warranty.

What's up with this? I'm amazed to see this on the inside of the package and not in big bold (flashing?) print on the outside.

I was going to post here asking for advice on settings but I came across this when I opened the package. Should I just return it ?

Please advise.

Wired,

I figured it may be something like that, but without something from Corsair I'm still hanging out there...:(:

Thanks for the tip on Memtest. I decided to try to confirm the first set of tests, so I grabbed a more recent version (Sept 2007 => MemTest-86 v3.4) and disabled USB Legacy Support as you sugested.

The "bad" stick passed on the first go around, so I rebooted and did it again. It then failed but in a different manner than the first times.

(On my first test with both sticks installed in Dual Channel Mode (Memtest v 2.01) the failures were at different adresses but all during Test #5. When I installed only the "bad" stick it failed on Test #2.)

Now on the latest test (Memtest v 3.4a) on the "bad" stick, it failed with a notice (after about 10 minutes) Unexpected Interupt - Halting. The Type was GEN_PROT (general Protection?). I don't know if this infers a Memory failure or something else?

I just got this Motherboard as an RMA return from Asus so I'm hoping it's good and not causing these issues. (I assume they test these thoroughly before shipping after a warranty claim.)

Should I put in the Corsair TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX G and try it? If so I think I need to put it in one stick at a time and adjust the settings (according to some posts with similar hardware I read...) as having everthing set to auto in Bios with 2 sticks typically results in a failure to boot.

I'd doubt I'll have an issue, and if so I'll fight it out with Corsair if / when the time comes.:o:

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Memtest86+ is different from Memtest86. Also, Memtest86+'s most recent release is newer than Memtest86's last release.

Thanks (isn't that confusing:eek:), I'll give it a go (and advise) but I'm really wanting to get the Corsair Ram installed in both boxes.

By the way, when will the Ram Guy chime in with suggested settings:confused:?

• Corsair Employee
You can get the tested settings from the link in my signature for one set of modules but if you are trying to use 4 modules DDR667 would be suggested and set the NB/MCH/SPP voltage to +.2 as well and as Wired stated please use http://www.memtest.org Version 2.01. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Gents,

Thanks for the info.

I rescanned the Generic memory Sticks with Memtest86+ 2.01 with very similar results. The Good Stick Passed (I did only one pass as this stick always passed every time before) and the "Bad" stick failed again (both with / without disabled legacy USB) but both times on Test #6.

If I understand Ram Guy's links I'm to use the following for TWIN2X4096-6400C4DHX G:

DDR2 XM2S-6400C4_____EPP + JEDEC Values for PC2-6400C5

From the link:

"Motherboard make and model: Asus M2N32-SLI Premium/Deluxe

Each pair is tested and packaged together using the following settings:

AI Over Clock Tuner: Manual

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz/(266Mhz for Intel)

DDR2 SDRAM Clock: Manually set to 800MHz

PCI Express Freq: Auto

PCI Freq: 33.33

Performance Mode: User Define/Manual

DRAM Timing Selectable: Manual

SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 5T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 5T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15T

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)

Command Rate: 2T

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9

Advanced voltage control

CPU Vcore offset:_Disabled

DDR2 Termination: 0.5x

CPU to NB HT:____1.200V

NB to SB HT:_____AUTO

NB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO

SB Core/PCI-E:___AUTO

SB Standby core:_+1.500V

Output driver control

CKE:______AUTO

CS/ODT:__1.00X

ADD/CMD:_1.00X

MEMCLK:__1.00X

Chipset Core Voltage: Auto

All other settings are motherboard defaults.

Maximum DDR2 recommended VDIMM: 2.1 Volts"

I'm assuming where it states "5something" ( Like SDRAM CAS Latency: 5T) I should go to "4something" ( Like SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T)

Thanks for the heads up to boost the voltage to the maximum if I was to use 4 stick (in one Box) but I plan only to use one pair in each Box.

Do I have your instructions correct? Please advise (I'd rather be safe than sorry :roll: please remember I'm a Corsair Ram Newbie:o:).

Thanks for the assist.

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0-2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Is this an automated response?

Polygon,

You made my morning :laughing:.

I too though RAM Guy's response was "disconnected" from what I asked in my last post. (I'm going with only 2 Sticks...)

So I'm plowing on rather than have concise instructions.

I've put in one Stick (running here) and tried to configured it as follows (some items I could not find in my Bios Screens* but I'll check again when I put in the second stick):

CPU External Frequency: Manually set to 200MHz/(266Mhz for Intel)*

PCI Freq: 33.33*

SDRAM CAS Latency: 4T

SDRAM RAS to CAS Delay (tRCD): 4T

SDRAM Row Precharge (tRP): 4T

SDRAM Active to Precharge Delay (tRAS): 15 => No "T"

SDRAM Write Recovery Time: 5*

Write to Precharge Delay: 15 (If it's Listed)*

Command Rate: 2T*

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9

Advanced voltage control

CPU Vcore offset:_Disabled*

DDR2 Termination: 0.5x*

CPU to NB HT:____1.200V*

SB Standby core:_+1.500V

Output driver control

CKE:______AUTO

CS/ODT:__1.00X

ADD/CMD:_1.00X

MEMCLK:__1.00X

Chipset Core Voltage: Auto

I have two other settings I left to Auto tRC and Address Mode as they are the default setting. I'll post back with my results.

Is this an automated response?

No, it's a human but, it appears that RAM GUY may have misread the last post since we are talking about 2 kits, 2 machines, etc.

And yes, try the settings RAM GUY posted, setting the timings manually to those listed. Outside the 4,4,4,12, leave all the others at AUTO or whatever the MOBO defaults to. And, don't worry about damage to the memory as long as you don't go over the rated voltage.

Specmike & all,

I tried the settings as I posted above, with both sticks installed (bios says the second stick is in dual channel mode => confirming the correct slot), but Windows failed to boot (got to just past the Windows splash screen and 'hung" with a black screen):[pouts:.

When I rebooted the Bios advised:

Overclocking failed or overvoltage failed. Please re-enter setup to re-configure your system. Press F1 to run setup. Press F2 to load default values and continue.

I tried to reboot after re-entering setup and escaping without changing anything but of course it didn't boot. I shut down (holding power off button for 4+ seconds), removed the second stick and then re-started. The same error appeared so I selected F2 (default values) and it rebooted.:sigh!:

Any ideas where I go from here?

Thanks for any assistance.

With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR667 and set the memory Voltage to 2.0-2.1 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

Specmike,

I'm assuming you meant Ram Guy's post which was talking about running 4 Sticks (and not the 2 sticks I installed which I assumed were to be 1.9 volts as per DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 1.9 from his referenced link). But as it's below the maximum I'll tweak it and advise.

By the way, just for reference, I ran Memtest+ 2.01 against the settings I had above, and the second Corsair stick passed as well as the first.

With the CPU you have I would suggest trying the memory frequency at DDR667 and the settings I gave and test the modules one at a time with http://www.memtest.org, using Windows does not tell us what the problem is!

Ram Guy and Specmike and all,

Thanks for the inputs. I never ran Memtest in Windows => only used a bootable floppy or CD version. I decided to try the change in voltage first (one step at a time) => first 2.0 volts. but when that didn't boot with 2 sticks then 2.1 volts, and voila it boots to windows. It seems stable with no incomplete sequence start-ups but I wonder if this is now optimal for the apparatus. (The memory is 800MHz not 667.) I'd still like to tweak it and hopefully correctly adjust any outstanding settings like the ones with an * below I couldn't find in my Bios settings.

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

Advanced voltage control

SB Standby core:_+1.500V*

Output driver control*

CKE:______AUTO*

CS/ODT:__1.00X*

ADD/CMD:_1.00X*

MEMCLK:__1.00X*

Chipset Core Voltage: Auto*

I left Auto tRC* and Address Mode* to Auto as they are the default settings but are these correct?

Should I run Memtest+ V2.01 on these chips individually set as is to confirm stability? (It's a bit of a pain swapping out the first stick as it really close to my Scythe Zipang CPU cooler.) I ran Memtest against both chips yesterday, before adjusting the voltage, and it was only on test #4 after 2 hours. Is it effective against more than one chip at a time? How long should one expect it to run to complete?

By the way, I'm not a Gamer :eek: (I've got a box I put together dedicated for that for my son) but want this Box to be Quiet, Reliable, and Quick. I'm going to install a Video Editing package (Home Movies for vacations, family events, etc.) on a dedicated drive. In the past I've been a Pinnacle Studio user (from version 7 until 10) but got frustrated with it's (ahem) systemic unreliability:[pouts:. I don't know what video editing package I'll use now, but they all need decent horsepower it seems. Hence the move to max out the Ram on this box, and hopefully optimise the speed.

My Brother's Box is doing better. I emailed them and got them to run Memtest (floppy version). One of their sticks was "Bad". So they are running the good one. There's is a Gamer Box (Dual Sli video cards) and my nephew is eager to get the new Ram. He's running it with the settings tweaked down on his games => but at least he's running. I plan to go over there today and install the Corsair Ram based on the settings above. (Unless someone chimes in with something new :D:)

Thanks for the assist. I appreciate the inputs:cool:

• Corsair Employee
Should I run Memtest+ V2.01 on these chips individually set as is to confirm stability? (It's a bit of a pain swapping out the first stick as it really close to my Scythe Zipang CPU cooler.) I ran Memtest against both chips yesterday, before adjusting the voltage, and it was only on test #4 after 2 hours. Is it effective against more than one chip at a time? How long should one expect it to run to complete?

Yes as stated previously please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Yes as stated previously please test them one at a time with http://www.memtest.org.

Ram Guy,

I ran the tests on both Boxes, each Stick at a time and all passed with no issues (800 Mhz too!). :D:

I wonder if this is now optimal for the apparatus. (The memory is 800MHz not 667.) I'd still like to tweak it and hopefully correctly adjust any outstanding settings like the ones with an * below I couldn't find in my Bios settings.

DDR2 SDRAM Voltage: 2.1

Advanced voltage control

SB Standby core:_+1.500V*

Output driver control*

CKE:______AUTO*

CS/ODT:__1.00X*

ADD/CMD:_1.00X*

MEMCLK:__1.00X*

Chipset Core Voltage: Auto*

I left Auto tRC* and Address Mode* to Auto as they are the default settings but are these correct for the Deluxe version of the P5N32-SLI? Should the Plus version final settings be much different?

Please advise. Thanks.

• Corsair Employee

The settings for the memory should not change with the model of MB and to be clear and the point I think you keep missing is: When mixing memory it will be hit and miss and there is no set rules to follow only the tested settings for how we sell them with one set. Mixing two sets is trail and error and you just have to test it. And any setting not listed should be set to Auto or BIOS default.

The TRC setting was listed for some Intel chipsets that seemed to set it incorrectly so with this MB leaving it at Auto will not be a problem.

And with two sets of XM2S-6400XXXX DDR667 would be suggested.

Bottom line if the system is stable no matter what settings you have set and you are not going over the max Voltage of 2.1 Volts you should be fine and if you ever have a problem with the modules we will be happy to replace them..

Archived