Corsair Community

Connecting LL120 Fans to an Asus AIO

TonsofPuppies

I'm just about to start my PC build, but I'm trying to figure out in my head, before I start, what the best way to connect the AIO and fans is. I am using an Asus Ryujin 360 AIO, along with 6 LL120 fans and 4 LED strips (I am replacing the 3 included fans with the AIO, with the LL120s) There is a CoPro included with my Obsidian 500D RGB SE case. What is the best way to get everything set up?

Should I just connect the power connectors for the 3 front LL120s to the cables coming out of the block of the Ryujin, just as I would if using a H150i Pro? Then connect the 3 remaining fans to the CoPro? Or should I connect all 6 fans to the CoPro and leave the connections to the AIO directly empty?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated!

My initial instinct would be to connect the fans directly to the cooler. Part of this, of course, would depend on the level of control that I have over the fan speeds - if I can control the fans based on the coolant temperature, then it's a no-brainer. If not (and since I'm no expert on the Asus cooler, I can't say if it is or not), then I'd connect the to the CoPro, use one of the CoPro's thermistors to measure the temperature of the radiator exhaust, and use that to control the fan speed. The radiator exhaust temperature is a good proxy for the coolant temperature - it'll typically be within 0.5C.

My initial instinct would be to connect the fans directly to the cooler. Part of this, of course, would depend on the level of control that I have over the fan speeds - if I can control the fans based on the coolant temperature, then it's a no-brainer. If not (and since I'm no expert on the Asus cooler, I can't say if it is or not), then I'd connect the to the CoPro, use one of the CoPro's thermistors to measure the temperature of the radiator exhaust, and use that to control the fan speed. The radiator exhaust temperature is a good proxy for the coolant temperature - it'll typically be within 0.5C.

The Asus cooler does allow you to control the fans based on the temperature of the CPU (99% certain of this). So does this seem right to you?

LL120 Fan 1 (front bottom):

Power - 360 AIO

RGB - LED fan hub

LL120 Fan 2 (front middle):

Power - 360 AIO

RGB - LED fan hub

LL120 Fan 3 (front top):

Power - 360 AIO

RGB - LED fan hub

LL120 Fan 4 (top front):

Power - CoPro

RGB - LED fan hub

LL120 Fan 5 (top rear):

Power - CoPro

RGB - LED fan hub

LL120 Fan 6 (top front):

Power - CoPro

RGB - LED fan hub

Then...

LED fan hub ---> SATA power

LED fan hub ---> CoPro (LED 1)

LED strips (4 connected together) ---> CoPro (LED 2)

CoPro ---> SATA power

CoPro ---> USB header

Does this setup work? This is the only part of the build that I'm somewhat unsure over. Haha.

There is a very meaningful difference between CPU temp and the coolant/liquid temp. You are certainly better off with coolant temp and the Asus promo literature indicates it measures both liquid temp in and out, which is interesting. However, as mentioned above there are not a lot of these around and I don’t know anyone who has one. My understanding is you must use AI Suite/Fan Xpert for cooler control and that may complicate iCUE functionality to boot.

There is a very meaningful difference between CPU temp and the coolant/liquid temp. You are certainly better off with coolant temp and the Asus promo literature indicates it measures both liquid temp in and out, which is interesting. However, as mentioned above there are not a lot of these around and I don’t know anyone who has one. My understanding is you must use AI Suite/Fan Xpert for cooler control and that may complicate iCUE functionality to boot.

I'm fine with using the iCue only for the lighting. As long as I can still sync up the lighting between all 6 fans, I'm happy. I don't mind allowing the Asus software to control the fan speed for the radiator fans, whilst using iCue to control the remaining 3. The lighting is the main thing I care about being in sync. Based on the setup I mentioned above, that should work?

The lighting is easy. 6 LL fans, each with one lighting wire. All go to the SATA powered 6 port RGB hub. Done. iCUE will handle fan lighting.

The uknown aspect is how the Asus fan motor controls work and you will need to make an initial choice about how to power them, as outlined above.

The lighting is easy. 6 LL fans, each with one lighting wire. All go to the SATA powered 6 port RGB hub. Done. iCUE will handle fan lighting.

The uknown aspect is how the Asus fan motor controls work and you will need to make an initial choice about how to power them, as outlined above.

Based on your experience, do you think it's a good idea to start with the fans connected directly to the AIO (the same way as I would if using the stock fans) and do some experimentation with it before doing my final cable management?

I would start with 3 fans on the aio so you know how it works, if it works, strengths & weaknesses. The other 3 you likely arrange as described - with a thermistor wire from the C-Pro tucked above the 360mm radiator. This will be equivalent to water out temp and allow to make a similar curve to the Asus controls. Doesn’t work well? Move three wires from the AIO to the C-Pro and you’re ready to go again. Fan behavior can be changed within iCUE in just a few seconds.

I would start with 3 fans on the aio so you know how it works, if it works, strengths & weaknesses. The other 3 you likely arrange as described - with a thermistor wire from the C-Pro tucked above the 360mm radiator. This will be equivalent to water out temp and allow to make a similar curve to the Asus controls. Doesn’t work well? Move three wires from the AIO to the C-Pro and you’re ready to go again. Fan behavior can be changed within iCUE in just a few seconds.

I'll try it and let you know how it goes. Thanks! If anyone else has some input, please feel free to comment. The more I know, the better. :):

im in the same boat. 7 ll fans 3 of which will be on the ryujin 360. from what i have read you can not change the small high speed fan built into the pump mount without having the other fans connected to you cooler. people are saying that once you setup your fans you can then unplug and plug into commander. the small high speed fan will remember its settings and stay at the rpm you initially set. my build will be done this weekend and ill have more first hand experience.

Archived