Corsair Community

Is Delay in Power-up Normal?

Mike101

I recently built a system that powers-up by a momentary (less than a second) spin of the fans, a moment of silence then the cycle repeats itself a second time. After this, the power turns on and everything is normal. The system works fine other than this wierd start-up. This delay occurs every time I start the system or reboot it. In fact, I noticed it the very first time I pushed the power button. I have tried two new copies of the motherboard (ASUS A8N-SLI Premium with latest BIOS 1009) and three PSU's (Corsair 520W and two Antec SmartPower 450W). I also have disconnected all the drives at times. None of the equipment changes has had any effect.

I am beginging to conclude that the delay is built into the high-efficienciy PSU's and/or this model ASUS motherboard. I have searched the net, but have not been able to find anything definitive.

Has anyone else experienced the same patttern with new hardware? Can PowerGuy shed any light on this? Thanks.

Thank you for confirming what I was suspecting. It would be nice if ASUS would mention this behavior in the manual. They include self evident things like which direction the board goes but omit the unusual powerup. Antec is not aware of it, at least the tech I talked to is not , he sent a replacement PSU. Similarly, NewEgg sent me a replacement motherboard.

On the positive side, I learned about the Corsair/Seasonic PSU's while researching this issue. I was impressed enough to buy a Corsair 520W unit before I even received the replacement from Antec. The brand new Antec is now in a closet.

Archived