Corsair Community

Question cpu fans and icue connections

Mr_Commode

Hope this is the right forum.

Currently building a threadripper system with the h115i cpu cooler and an icue controller.

The cooler has a usb cable, a pump connector, and rgb and fan pigtails.

Can i run that usb to the icue? Can i also connect the radiator fans to the icue? The pump pigtail should go to the motherboard, im assuming, but can it also be run as a fan from the icue provided i give it a thermo sensor or will icue recognise the onboard temp sensor? Can i use a temp sensor in the radiator to trigger the fans?

The USB cable on the cooler should connect to the motherboard. This allows iCUE to "see" the cooler, control fan curves and report sensor values. And yes, the fan curve can be (and should be) based on the coolant temperature values.

From what you've said, it sounds like you have the Platinum version of the H115i. This will also control the RGB on the fans.

Take a look at the AIO FAQ linked in my signature as well.

Ok. So the aic cooler has built in fan and rgb controllers that will sync with the rest of the icue controlled stuff? So it should control its own fans based on coolant temp, then?

Not to be argumentative but will it still work as i described above? Is the icue hub not just a USB hub that should still allow any USB device to be recognised and work properly?

How much control does the icue hub give over fans? Can i control individual fans at differnt RPMs? Im also planning on using 2 of the front fans to cool the video card aic radiator triggered by the second temp sensor port on the icue.

Note: i hate spaghetti messes of wiring and am hoping i can keep all the fan/rgb wiring well hiden and to a minimum.

Ok. So the aic cooler has built in fan and rgb controllers that will sync with the rest of the icue controlled stuff? So it should control its own fans based on coolant temp, then?

Yes, you do this in iCUE. The AIO will have it's own USB connection. You should have the fans on the built-in controller. See the AIO FAQ for some of the reasoning behind this.

Not to be argumentative but will it still work as i described above? Is the icue hub not just a USB hub that should still allow any USB device to be recognised and work properly?

I'm not sure what you mean by 'iCUE Hub'. Do you mean a Commander Pro?

How much control does the icue hub give over fans? Can i control individual fans at differnt RPMs? Im also planning on using 2 of the front fans to cool the video card aic radiator triggered by the second temp sensor port on the icue.

Note: i hate spaghetti messes of wiring and am hoping i can keep all the fan/rgb wiring well hiden and to a minimum.

If by 'iCUE Hub', you mean a Commander Pro, then yes, you can have individual fans at different speeds. Each Fan Port on the Commander Pro can be independently controlled. If your front fans are connected to a CoPro, you can control them based on the GPU temperature. However, I would recommend that you use one of the built-in temp sensors for control ... and place that just above the GPU. It will be an effective proxy and your curve will run without requiring any software.

Yes, sorry, commander pro (compro). To me its just a controller hub, new fangled technology that fascinates me. I havent built any serious PCs since jumper settings were a thing and over clocking was trial and error with tiny plastic jumpers. This new stuff looks awesome and im trying to learn the abilities and limitations before i ruin any expensive parts.

What is a common temp for the aic to turn on the fans? Assuming the coolant is hotter at the pump on the cpu, i should be able to use radiator temp to trigger the fans through the compro for borh cpu and gpu. Im assuming the pumps will run based on their own internal sensors, correct?

So cpu pump gets plugged into mobo and the usb to the mobo, for reasons i havent read yet, but the fans i can play with based on radiator temps via thermistors connected to the compro. Just because this will help clean up wiring spaghetti.

Is the icue a software thing that will run in the background to keep my lights and fans running correctly?

I should go read your faq.

First, terminology is important. Please use the correct terms for the parts. Otherwise, it's confusing and you could get invalid/incorrect information. Or no response because no one can understand what you are talking about. The RGB FAQ has pictures and descriptions of all the key parts for reference. Because yes, learning this the first time through is a bewildering flurry of Pro's and Platinums and Nodes and "Gee-Whiz WTF is this thing"? There is, btw, a Corsair RGB Fan Hub and it's very different from the Commander Pro.

For radiator fans, you want to run them from the cooler. It will be able to use the coolant temp internally to run your fan curve. That means that it can do it without having the software running. The AIO FAQ has some in-depth information on what to look for when creating curves as well as background information that'll answer many of your questions.

The Commander Pro (CoPro) can use any temperature that iCUE (the software to control all of this) 'sees' ... however, if the temp sensor is anything other than the built-in thermistors on the CoPro, then it requires the software for it to run. So, ideally, use those thermistors so that the fan curves get written directly to the device and run with or without the software running, including at startup.