Corsair Community

CPU FAN ERROR its driving me mad lol

Pepperami

Hey guys

So, I had everything set up and working on my old system which was

Asus VII Hero MoBo

i7 4790k CPU

Corsair H115i Platinum RGB

Ive taken the plunge and for me probably, this was the last 'Major' upgrade to my PC as sadly im not as young as I was :sigh!:

So I've brought the following and installed them all in my nice Corsair Obsidian 500D RGB Case :)

Intel i9 10900k

Asus Maximus XII Hero MoBo

New Corsair Dominator Ram 2 x 16GB RGB

and of course, for CPU Cooling, the original (although not that old) H115i Cooler

The new MoBo has a specific header on it for AIO, so I attached the H115i to it, as I assumed that is what that header is there for, this is an AIO right?

I've spent the last two f$^king hours in the BIOS, disabling Fan Monitoring, lowering the minimum fan speed for the CPU, even though there is NO fan as such for the CPU as this is the pump and nothing has worked, all its done on saving the BIOS and exiting is either reboot, given me the CPU FAN ERROR yet again and asks me to go into BIOS or it reboots, then goes into BIOS again all on its own no pre boot as such

WTF is going on????

I've drunk my body weight in coffee this morning and Vaped myself senseless trying to fix the issue and it will not be fixed

All of the above I tried I googled the error and all the above comes from trawling the internet and looking at peoples work around, but I dont want to start disabling everything surely thats not the point is it? Surely ASUS gave users an AIO header to be able to USE IT

If anyone has any clue as to what I should do, please, save me :veryangry

Cheers guys!

1) Move the H115i connector back to cpu fan. That connector only does two things. It reports a pump speed to the BIOS in raw form (divide by 2) and it will throw up a warning if there is an electrical problem with the cooler on boot. That clever little AIO header Asus re-labeled used to be a much more useful CHA fan header. Now it’s set to 100% by default and whether it can be used for other things at all depends on the board model. It has no special properties. It’s just marketing nonsense.

Furthermore, CPU fan does not make a very good case fan control. It was designed along with OPT to run a pair of cpu cooler fans. Whatever you put on there will be very reactive and respond to cpu temp only. Putting the AIO header there solves several problems and maintains its safety feature.

Or

2) Enter the BIOS. F7 to go to the advanced bios. Tab over to the monitor column. Then scroll down about 10 places until you see the CPU fan header speed (probably 0 rpm). Hit enter and a select box will appear. Change this to “ignore”. CPU header detection is now disabled.

Yeah that worked :D:

Thank you for that, I was almost at the point of trying that anyway but thought I'd ask for help as I honestly didn't know and if the manual says 'Use this header for AIO' then most people I think who actually read the manuals would lol

All I have to figure out now is how to install windows 10 on the new M2 drive, thats another hurdle as I haven't used one before and the BIOS is a scary place lol

Thanks again bud!

• 4 weeks later...
1)

2) Enter the BIOS. F7 to go to the advanced bios. Tab over to the monitor column. Then scroll down about 10 places until you see the CPU fan header speed (probably 0 rpm). Hit enter and a select box will appear. Change this to “ignore”. CPU header detection is now disabled.

Thanks so much! I'm in IT and have been building systems professionally since DOS 3.1 days and never knew that there were settings under the BIOS's Monitor tab. Sigh!

What's weird is that my system has been running fine since I built it in 2013. Then, after an O/C failure, system started to periodically through this "CPU Cooler Error." I'd reset BIOS to default, reboot and then reset all my custom settings and I'd be good to go (had to do this about 3x). But then the error became intractable. So I changed the CPU fan setting to "ignore," as per your suggestion and system booted fine.

Question is, why this problem now, after all these years? No new BIOS updates for several years now. I haven't messed with my BIOS settings in a long, long time. Weird. I was thinking that maybe the H100i cooler was starting to fail...I have no idea...

Thanks again!

Unfortunately "ignore" just masks the problem and turns off the warning feature. The underlying reason may or may not be an issue.

If you have a cooler that gets it's pump and/or fan power from the motherboard header, it needs to be set to 100%/disabled. If you have a bad crash and have to clear CMOS, pull the battery, or something on that level, it is going to put the fan control for that header back to default. Often that is not enough voltage to get the pump started and it might throw up a CPU boot error or continually go across the maintain voltage line causing the pump to drop in and out of detection.

However, if you have something from 2013 like the "H100i" that has a SATA power supply for the pump/fans, then that header is not supplying power and you should not encounter this. If this is the case, you may want to consider the CPU cooler error as triggering correctly and the device is dropping in/out based on the electrical signal from the device (the cooler is failing).

Is the pump speed steady? Or a bit erratic?

• 4 weeks later...

I had this issue last night and found this thread. Thought I would post my solution in case it helps someone. I have a newer version of the same Asus motherboard. I had my AIO pump on the pump header and the two fans on the AIO connected to an extension that was on the CPU fan header that resulted in CPU fan error on startup.

It seems that when the pump header is used, it requires BOTH the CPU fan header and OPT header to be utilized. When I removed the fan extension cable and individually plugged each fan into the CPU fan and OPT headers, it booted successfully. I've also seen people recommend using the CHA fan header for your pump instead, since you essentially just need the AIO pump running at 100%.