Corsair Community

12pin Adapter for upcoming Ampere GPUs

ulukaj

There shouldn't be any need for that. the new 2x6 pins is a new option for OEMs, but i doubt it will be seen in the DIY market. The cards should come with traditionnal 8 pins PCIE. I doubt Nvidia would shoot itself in the foot selling cards you can't plug without changing your power supply

[ame]

[/ame] Edited by LeDoyen

• Corsair Employee
Hello,

any news regarding the rumours about new Ampere GPU 12pin power connectors? Ive just recently bought Corsair PSU and I am worried I will have to switch to a new PSU...:(:

From what I've gathered, the consumer product will have standard PCIe power connectors. But it's a HUGE card.

The SI's card is smaller, but needed a smaller power connector to accomplish this. Enter the micro-fit 12-pin. I believe Nvidia will include an adapter, but I'm sure that SI's that will build using the card will have a cable made that plugs directly into the PSU.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Corsair Employee
I have a 1600i. Is corsair planning on selling something like this?

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards-12-pin-power-connector/

A cable designed to be connected directly to the PSU would be preferable.

You can pretty much be 100% sure that IF the Ampere cards with the 12-pin micro-fit end up in end users hands, after market modular cables are going to be available for everyone.

You can pretty much be 100% sure that IF the Ampere cards with the 12-pin micro-fit end up in end users hands, after market modular cables are going to be available for everyone.

Thanks. Several websites are reporting the 12 pin cable is a real thing. Just looking to be prepared. Hope Corsair has one that attaches directly to the power supply. Decrease the clutter.

https://www.techpowerup.com/271284/picture-proof-of-nvidia-12-pin-power-connector-seasonic-ships-modular-adapters

• Corsair Employee
Thanks. Several websites are reporting the 12 pin cable is a real thing. Just looking to be prepared. Hope Corsair has one that attaches directly to the power supply. Decrease the clutter.

https://www.techpowerup.com/271284/picture-proof-of-nvidia-12-pin-power-connector-seasonic-ships-modular-adapters

Did any part of anything I said say anything about the 12-pin power connector not being "a real thing"?

Yes. I too have seen the same pictures over and over again and again. Like I said, it should be no concern to any end user.

Let me rephrase/summarize what I've already said:

Nvidia has no plans to release consumer cards with the 12-pin connector.

SI's that will use the FE version with the 12-pin connector will be provided an adapter.

IF (big IF) for some reason the FE cards leak out into the channel (stuff like that always do, right? Like tray CPUs...) I can tell you that most every PSU company and aftermarket cable manufacturer already have a cable set up to sell.

The problem is, because everyone is being told that end users should not be in possession of cards with 12-pin connectors, nobody is going to go full blast on making them. You also risk making Nvidia angry at leaking information like what Seasonic leaked. But Seasonic doesn't care because they're not an Nvidia partner.

Any changes in PSU provision is a non starter. The existing DIY market already has a well capitalized PSU with adequate capacity. With the rise in dual EPS12V I had to grab some more cables but my HX1000i has enough plugs to handle the demands.

A new connector does not make any sense after 20 years of ATX compatibility.

It looks like a new connector will indeed be needed for NVIDIA's Ampere GPU.

An article just posted at WCCFTECH confirms this new connector and shows an adapter upcoming by Seasonic.

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-rtx-30-series-ampere-gaming-graphics-cards-12-pin-power-connector/

Hopefully this will only be for the founders edition cards but I guess we will have to wait and see.

Edit: oops, I didnt notice this info was already posted above. Sorry. Came here when I saw the news seeing if Corsair would be doing something similar.

Edited by Arugula

Twitter is full of crap speculation. September 1 is the big media event.

I will wait for that. I prefer some substantive news and not idle speculation.

at this point it's not speculation. seasonic has their ****** together. i would like a 12 pin cable for my AX1600i since i will be buying a founder's card. founder's card will have water blocks available on day 1 from alphacool

A new connector does not make any sense after 20 years of ATX compatibility.

omg, another one.... it's a 12V cable just like every other PCI/EPS/Molex/SATA cable in your computer. all you have to do is make a cable that was 2x 8 pins on one end and 12 pins on the other. nothing on the PSU side has to change.

Edited by terroralpha

• Corsair Employee
seasonic has their ****** together.

No. Seasonic is neither a board partner nor a system builder with an NDA with Nvidia. So they can release 12-pin adapters, etc. before card launch, etc. while everyone else is told not to say anything until launch day.

If i'm not mistaken, Nvidia stated that founders card will have an adapter for PCIE cables bundled in.

It's not like the thing will be impossible to power up on launch day.

Still, I doubt a major power supply... supplier like Corsair would skimp on a cable to power cards from the GPU market leader. Just wait for launch day. The cards won't be available in the market the day they are unveiled anyway.

There shouldn't be any need for that. the new 2x6 pins is a new option for OEMs, but i doubt it will be seen in the DIY market. The cards should come with traditionnal 8 pins PCIE. I doubt Nvidia would shoot itself in the foot selling cards you can't plug without changing your power supply

Wrong! LOL!

Well, they did change the socket and plug. Also, interestingly, some people are going to need new power supplies. But getting back to the point, although NVIDIA will be pushing adapters, I would like to see some cables to convert my existing modular Corsair power supply.

• Corsair Employee
Wrong! LOL!

Well, they did change the socket and plug. Also, interestingly, some people are going to need new power supplies. But getting back to the point, although NVIDIA will be pushing adapters, I would like to see some cables to convert my existing modular Corsair power supply.

You did notice that NONE of the AIB partner cards used the 12-pin, right?

That said, a cable will be available if someone has a FE card and doesn't want to use the included adapter.

Keep in mind: The whole purpose of the 12-pin was to reduce board space on the card. The card is already too big. So they want to save space any way they can. The 12-pin is much smaller than two 8-pins.

Wrong! LOL!

Yea, i answered early august, there was no info yet :) just rumors hehe

That said i still believe it's a non-issue. adapters come with FE cards, PSU OEMs are issuing cables for modular units, and as the Guru said, all the partners cards unveiled to date use normal PCIE sockets.

The cards have been revealed only yesterday, OEMs can only just about start to say what they have prepared for these cards so there's no rush. I bet soon there'll be some sort of type 3 and 4 corsair 12 pin cables for modular PSUs. It would make sense they are made available just before or when the first 3080 hit the stores.

Same goes for all PSU manufacturers, waterblock manufacturers etc...

That's exactly what I was hoping for. Thanks for posting. The extra cable/adapter will only cause more clutter in my case. This solves the issue.

I agree, I would love it if PCIe cables were available in different lengths for cable management etc.

ATX12V cables tend to be a tad short too

I agree, I would love it if PCIe cables were available in different lengths for cable management etc.

ATX12V cables tend to be a tad short too

That’s a great idea. My concerns were cable clutter and increased resistance with increasing length. One cable off the PSU itself is soooo much easier. Another 75cm of extension cable just wasn’t appealing at all.

• 2 weeks later...