Corsair Community

Replacement suggestions

tomramos213

I have the 2008 HX1000W. I got it when it first came out, didn't realize it's been 12 years now. I do not overclock my CPU, GPU or RAM. Before I got my EVGA RTX 2080 XC Ultra Gaming, I had EVGA 980s in SLi. I don't plan to go SLi anymore, and I am moving to RTX 3080, my builds have always been watercooled. Should I get an HXi1000 or the AXi1200? Some are saying I can get away with an HXi850. I don't have HDD, I have M.2 and SSDs. My PSU is running fine, but it's 12 years old now. I've always wanted the HXi series so I can monitor the PSU, though I've never done it before. Thoughts?

I know I want some leeway, but if I cheapen on the PSU it might not last as long as my current one. This was my first Corsair PSU, before that it was Antec and I had to return 2 of my Antec PSU because they failed. And under normal use, I guess that's why you don't really see Antec anymore.

It's probably gonna work with a 650W for some amount of time depending on your CPU. BUT it will a) be loud cause the fan will be working overtime b) inefficient - peak efficiency is generally at around 50-60% load c) your PSU will probably not last 12 years again running at it's peak all the time

Also, you don't cheap out on PSUs. If you can afford a 3080, you can afford a HX850

Personally I would get an 850 simply because it has more 8 way power sockets. Many motherboards now use two, and 3080's can use up to two as well. I know, it's not critical, but hey if you are going to buy a new supply then why not?

The next one I will get will be an RM850i.

idk if people are aware of this but the 30 series GPUs may spike way higher thus tripping OCP. I really don't understand why people skimp out on PSUs. Don't buy highend hardware if your PSU can't properly support it.

damn...

Totally agree with this sentiment. I just saw a video today where the PSU was allegedly within nvidia's power specs for the 30xx GPUs, but it didn't last 10 secs due to the spikes mentioned above. An inferior PSU is about the only component in your PC that has the capability to fry everything. Don't skimp on it.

• Like 1

So I got the Corsair AX1200i. I've run both Heaven and 3dMark Bench Marks. My GPU Temp is around 40c-43c, CPU 60C, PSU 39C. Power In average 90-110W, Power Out 70-90 watts, and efficiency 70-85%. I thought I'd be pulling more than 70-90 watts from the PSU. This is monitored in iCUE. Oh and the PSU fan is set to default, but has not turned on. Is the efficiency of this PSU so high that it only needs to Power Out 70-90 watts to run my system?

usually maximum efficiency is at around 50-60% load. once you have a 3080, you should land at around 400W total system power, depending on your model. the FE stock has a power limit of 320W iirc, if you CPU doesn't bottleneck it or the card thermal limits, it will most certainly be able to pull that much power in 3dMark (and in gaming in that sense). The AX1200 might have been a little overkill from a wattage point of view, but maybe you plan to upgrade to a new Ryzen 5000 CPU or want to mess with overclocking. it will get a little better regarding efficency then.

I do plan to get the new Ryzen CPU when it comes out. All my builds before the 1080 were SLi, hence my HX1000 PSU. I've always tried to have as much overhead as I can reasonably afford. I never expected my HX1000 to last 12 years, it's sitting here now, in the AX1200i box, nothing wrong with it, might use it on a small build. That's the main reason I got the AX1200i, which may be overkill but if it lasts a decade, it's worth it. When I get the new CPU and GPU, we'll see how much power it pulls. I was expecting around 300watts average on my current rig. Maybe the M2s and SSDs don't pull that much power anymore?

So I got the Corsair AX1200i. I've run both Heaven and 3dMark Bench Marks. My GPU Temp is around 40c-43c, CPU 60C, PSU 39C. Power In average 90-110W, Power Out 70-90 watts, and efficiency 70-85%. I thought I'd be pulling more than 70-90 watts from the PSU. This is monitored in iCUE. Oh and the PSU fan is set to default, but has not turned on. Is the efficiency of this PSU so high that it only needs to Power Out 70-90 watts to run my system?

70 -90W is what it uses in idle.

under 3Dmark or Heaven, you should have a lot more during runs.

The R5 3600 barely reaches 60W, but the RTX 2080 should spike around 250W if not too heavily OCed. total power i guess around 450W more or less.

The power your components draw do not change with the power supply. they will draw bronze 90 watts or platinum 90 watts :p

the efficiency will indicate how many watts are lost (power in = power out + losses... the more efficient it is, the less power is wasted in heat, which also means your PSU will run passively more often).

That's not really true anymore. Not with modern PSU topologies.

please elaborate if my knowledge is ancient, would really appreciate it. Best via pm, don't want to hijack OP's thread.

The efficency curve peaks as 50% for this particular unit as shown in the manual tho.