Corsair Community

question

Hi - I am hoping that someone can help me out with some advice regarding X58 Chipsets, Marvell Controllers and Corsair Force GT and Force 3 SSD's.

Right i had a Asus P6X58D Premium X58 Chipset running my Corsair F240 SSD off of the Marvell 9128 Controller in AHCI mode since Corsair released them without any problems, yes it was SATA2 and yes it was only 240MB/s so there wasnt any bottle necks with it being on a single PCIe lane. It did run brilliantly quickly and i was very happy with the performance.

So when the new Corsair SATA3 SSD's were realeased i snapped up the Force 3 and then the Force GT hoping for double the perfomance of my F240.

Originally installing the Force3 120 on my ASUS P6X58D i couldnt even get Windows loaded. I tried it on the SATA2 Intel controller without any problems, but on the Marvell 9128 in SATA3 AHCI it saw the drive but couldnt write to it very well.

So after reading some forums regarding the Marvell 9128 Controller issues and single lane bottleneck i purchased a ASUS Rampage Extreme 3 Black Edition chipset as it has the Marvell 9182 Controller, which it was said has a second PCIe lane and no problems with SATA3.

I also purchased the Corsair Force GT just to get maximum performance, but i am getting the same instability as before on both the Force 3 and Force GT disks with the Marvell 9182.

Can anyone help please? I have tried new SATA3 cables, new Mobo, new PSU and still lots of sadness. I can now get Win7 loaded but it will either BSOD or not reboot everytime.

Is this a Marvell issue, a Corsair issue or just SATA3 in general?? Is there any X58 chipset or addon SATA3 card that doesnt use Marvell or works well with Corsair SATA3 SSD's?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay :-)

Hi - I am hoping that someone can help me out with some advice regarding X58 Chipsets, Marvell Controllers and Corsair Force GT and Force 3 SSD's.

Right i had a Asus P6X58D Premium X58 Chipset running my Corsair F240 SSD off of the Marvell 9128 Controller in AHCI mode since Corsair released them without any problems, yes it was SATA2 and yes it was only 240MB/s so there wasnt any bottle necks with it being on a single PCIe lane. It did run brilliantly quickly and i was very happy with the performance.

So when the new Corsair SATA3 SSD's were realeased i snapped up the Force 3 and then the Force GT hoping for double the perfomance of my F240.

Originally installing the Force3 120 on my ASUS P6X58D i couldnt even get Windows loaded. I tried it on the SATA2 Intel controller without any problems, but on the Marvell 9128 in SATA3 AHCI it saw the drive but couldnt write to it very well.

So after reading some forums regarding the Marvell 9128 Controller issues and single lane bottleneck i purchased a ASUS Rampage Extreme 3 Black Edition chipset as it has the Marvell 9182 Controller, which it was said has a second PCIe lane and no problems with SATA3.

I also purchased the Corsair Force GT just to get maximum performance, but i am getting the same instability as before on both the Force 3 and Force GT disks with the Marvell 9182.

Can anyone help please? I have tried new SATA3 cables, new Mobo, new PSU and still lots of sadness. I can now get Win7 loaded but it will either BSOD or not reboot everytime.

Is this a Marvell issue, a Corsair issue or just SATA3 in general?? Is there any X58 chipset or addon SATA3 card that doesnt use Marvell or works well with Corsair SATA3 SSD's?

Thanks in advance and sorry for the essay :-)

The current line of SandForce controller is very buggy and especially has trouble with Marvell controllers, it is recommended by Corsair to use Intel's SATAIII or SATAII, though it also has problems with them, AMD motherboards seem to provide the most stability. Corsair is working with SandForce to try and resolve the issues with the controller.

Archived