Corsair Community

RGB on MacOS = no UPS battery

hquest

I decided to do a mod on my Apple hardware - because while the metal finish is gorgeous, it is lacking colors :)

So I went and grabbed a few spare RGB strips and a Commander Pro. Both small enough to be added where I need. As iCue does not support this product in OSX, I used Bootcamp to configure it, and set the hardware default to what I want.

Works great, except my macOS now thinks I’m running out of UPS power. Reason being, Commander Pro is also a well known UPS identifier, used since the early 2000’s, which Corsair is also using as a USB identification name.

With that said, and the fact this is the new product, which are the odds Corsair could perhaps add their brand name, or modify slightly the USB ID so their product does not get misidentified as a UPS unit?

USB IDs are based on two values - the Vendor ID (VID) and the Product ID (PID).

Corsair's VID is 1b1c. This is actually assigned to them and they had to pay to get it. And any modification to this would break every Commander Pro out there. That's no a realistic option or request.

If a UPS vendor is or was using that ... then they aren't compliant with the USB spec.

So - the real question is - why is MacOS misidentifying the device? And what is this "well known UPS identifier" that is apparently unknown to Windows?

http://openupsmart.sourceforge.net/

This is the open source implementation of the original Commander Pro UPS monitor, still maintaining the communication protocol implementation. Yes, Apple might have went the lazy route and did not checked VID/PID, only for product name. Unless there are zero plans to support the Corsair Command Pro on Apple hardware/macOS, then I guess I'll have to live with a "faulty UPS unit" if I want to unofficially mod an unsupported combination.

Also, to Apple's point, there are so many different vendors implementing a "Commander Pro" compatible UPS monitor, it is hard for them to keep track of all the vendors, so I see why the "lazy route" as I stated before.

Edited by hquest