Corsair Community

Emergency: Corsair H100i RGB PRO XT CPU Cooler fans suddenly not ramping up & BSODs

stormflora

I've had this cooler for a good half-year or so now, never any problems, never touched the iCUE settings besides having it on Balanced by default.

Tonight, I was playing a game with a friend, and about halfway in, I noticed that my fans ramped up to 100%. Okay, sure, maybe the temps kicked in, I let it happen as I played the game.

After I finished and closed the game, I noticed that the fans wouldn't stop spinning at 100%. I tried to restart the PC, and it still kept spinning at 100%. I had to shut down the PC for them to stop. Now that I've restarted the PC, I went into iCUE, and noticed that the fans are all stuck under 300 RPM, and nothing I click or do is changing it. The cooler's ambient temperature itself has risen to 45C.

I tried to update the software, but to no avail. The fans just won't ramp up. I can change the pump speed (you see the numbers go up and down), but the fans aren't responding at all (they're stuck below 300). What could be the problem? Is there any way to fix this? Did the cooler's microchips get fried from that gaming session??

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Nevermind, crisis averted. I force updated the firmware to the cooler even though it's the same version, and it worked again. The gaming session must've overheated the cooler and corrupted the firmware somehow. Never thought that that would ever be possible.

I'll just leave this here for posterity in case anyone else ever experiences this nightmare like I did.

Edited by stormflora

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: Nevermind, crisis averted. I force updated the firmware to the cooler even though it's the same version, and it worked again. The gaming session must've overheated the cooler and corrupted the firmware somehow. Never thought that that would ever be possible.

I'll just leave this here for posterity in case anyone else ever experiences this nightmare like I did.

There has been an increase in users reporting the “stuck fan” problem over the last 2 months for the Platinum/XT coolers. The forced firmware flash seems to solve it for most people. However, this is not something you want to be doing 2-3 times a week. If this starts to happen regularly, contact Corsair support.

Can you tell me which Windows 10 build you running right now?