The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-06-2018, 02:02 PM
RobAP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979214
RobAP Reputation: 10
Default Crystal 280x tasteful easy airflow improvement.

I have a black 280x more for style than total awesome overclocking. However, the reviewers of these cases are all complaining about the fan choking placement of, well, everything. I can see what they're talking about.

Well some looking and poking around the hardware store with a list of measurements and some parts in my pocket gave me what I needed.

First, this case sits low. 7/16" of the ground (just under a half inch)
Second, the top glass sits tight. That glass only has 1/4" gap around the edge for your 140mm fan to suck in or blow out through.

Fixes from my local ACE hardware:
1.) Patio furniture plastic foot ends! Yes, the case feet have two pegs to fit into the bottom, but they actually fit perfectly into the furniture footings! All you have to do is drill out the tiny hole in the bottom of it for your screw to go through, plus you will need a half inch longer screw as well, so pick up four of those while you're there. Go too long and your PSU will block it. These little bits double the height of the case, completely doubling the air intake area.

2.) Fixing that top glass. Look in the fitting, screws, bolts section and you will find nylon spacers. The posts, are 1/4" diameter or possibly a bit more but a 6mm I.D. spacer is not large enough....I found that one out. So The spacers I used are 3/8" black nylon. I got some larger ones as well to make the posts look fatter and the same diameter of the rubber feet inset to the glass. This raised the glass to a total of 5/8", making the intake area from 9 sq. inches to 24 sq. inches.2.5 times standard. The thumb screws are juust long enough to secure the glass well.

and guess what? It isn't too high and looks the part given the other overlapping glass sticking up.

The front glass, actually, isn't too bad. There's almost a half inch of space at the top, venting in the sides and overall not so bad especially if you don't plan to run a radiator in the front with powerful intake fans. General airflow fans though? 140's? Perfect for that. Lots of people look at radiators and believe they are flooding massive heat into the case but it's really not on the scale you may think. So these fixes ao enough air to really make the case stay good looking but also really flow so much more than before. I will put a 280 radiator in the top. The trick is to get ones as narrow as possible. A few AIO cooling kits have rads 137mm wide leaving you enough room to work cables. But in reality, an air-cooled build with all the 140 fans you can find should work very well with these fixes combined. Quite too.

Hope you liked it.

Last edited by RobAP; 11-06-2018 at 02:16 PM.

Old 11-11-2018, 02:46 AM
EXILE157's PC Specs

POST ID # = 979871
EXILE157 Reputation: 10

I'm in a love, hate relation with this case I wish Corsair would do a 3.0 version of this case.

I don't know if I'm explaining it right, but I would love to see :

-Top Glass Panel to magnetically unlock and swivel on a right angle covering the Top right plain side of case, for better exhaust.

-Front Glass Panel to magnetically unlock and swivel on a right angle covering the Front right plain side of case, for better exhaust.

-Side Glass Panel to magnetically unlock and swivel open with option to take off the hinges to work inside the case.

I will load an image down the line of what I'm trying to say for those that can't picture my idea...

Old 11-15-2018, 12:19 PM
RobAP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 980621
RobAP Reputation: 10

i totally get what youre talking about. acessability for maintenance. honestly raising the top glass like i did makes that exhaust much better and negligible impact to results of it completely gone. The bottom raised with general case fans there bring in any spare air the front can't bring to the game.

but swivel panels, indeed would be nice. I did check the front bezel contraption and dissassemble it completely and the glass can be removed, absolutely, and if you wish to replace it with a nice thick mesh, or another shet of metal bent on a sheet metal brake with custom cut designs in it, that would really look good and completely aid breathing. That's getting into heavier modding territory but at least your not cutting and damaging the origional structure, and could return it to stock easy. So the front and top panels could easily be modded into a shiny nice mesh for breathing if the glass adjustment is undesireable.

Old 12-08-2018, 02:35 PM
Closet spender
cms239's PC Specs

POST ID # = 984388
cms239 Reputation: 10

I had exactly the same idea. Only done the top though.

Be interesting to do some test to compare temps

Old 12-08-2018, 03:17 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 984394
Zotty Reputation: 52

Excellent post OP :)

Old 12-09-2018, 01:09 PM
Closet spender
cms239's PC Specs

POST ID # = 984559
cms239 Reputation: 10

This is what I did

Old 06-09-2019, 09:24 PM

POST ID # = 1007488
Newbuilder1 Reputation: 10

Hey OP! Can you post a link to those plastic legs!? I’d love to put them on mine!

Old 06-09-2019, 10:36 PM

POST ID # = 1007492
Newbuilder1 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAP View Post
i totally get what youre talking about. acessability for maintenance. honestly raising the top glass like i did makes that exhaust much better and negligible impact to results of it completely gone. The bottom raised with general case fans there bring in any spare air the front can't bring to the game.

but swivel panels, indeed would be nice. I did check the front bezel contraption and dissassemble it completely and the glass can be removed, absolutely, and if you wish to replace it with a nice thick mesh, or another shet of metal bent on a sheet metal brake with custom cut designs in it, that would really look good and completely aid breathing. That's getting into heavier modding territory but at least your not cutting and damaging the origional structure, and could return it to stock easy. So the front and top panels could easily be modded into a shiny nice mesh for breathing if the glass adjustment is undesireable.
Do you know the dimensions of the pegs?

Old 08-12-2019, 03:52 AM
EXILE157's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014427
EXILE157 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobAP View Post

Don't understand why Corsair's Design Department can't think of these ideas?... Common sense stuff , every new case lacks something, never a complete WoW factor case... Who does the final decisions??

Old 08-14-2019, 04:18 AM
Ronarch's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1014594
Ronarch Reputation: 10

I just got this 280X RGB case, mainly for its beauty along with my new 3700x ITX stuff.
But I've noticed that the temperature of, not CPU, not GPU, but the 3.5" hard disks always keeps climbing up to a level beyond acceptable I believe.

Owned the case for a week and I've observed that the hard disk temp. can reach 56c top after 6 hrs of gaming. I think maybe it's the heat of the CPU being pushed by the AMD stock cooler, Wraith Prism toward the harddisk bay. I have ordered a new cooler (Deepcool Captain 240 Pro) and two 5cm fans for the hard disk / cable management chamber. Hope it will help.

Do you guys experience the same problem?

Old 08-23-2019, 02:36 AM
skyvory's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1015455
skyvory Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronarch View Post
I just got this 280X RGB case, mainly for its beauty along with my new 3700x ITX stuff.
But I've noticed that the temperature of, not CPU, not GPU, but the 3.5" hard disks always keeps climbing up to a level beyond acceptable I believe.

Owned the case for a week and I've observed that the hard disk temp. can reach 56c top after 6 hrs of gaming. I think maybe it's the heat of the CPU being pushed by the AMD stock cooler, Wraith Prism toward the harddisk bay. I have ordered a new cooler (Deepcool Captain 240 Pro) and two 5cm fans for the hard disk / cable management chamber. Hope it will help.

Do you guys experience the same problem?
Register just to give some of my thought regarding this.

The case looks gorgeous indeed. I even considered to build one with it, but one of my concern is the hard drives temperature, which no review said about it whilst the design clearly shows how enclosed the HDD chamber without any useful ventilation for airflow nor dedicated fan mount for the space, which is definitely the flaw of this artistic box.

There's no point of having separated compartment for 3.5" storage whilst ignoring the fact that spinning disc generates heat that's critical to the longevity of the drives.

My guess since not many people complain about the hard drive temps is because their budgets allow them to use just SSD with such expensive case.