deltaminds's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967454
deltaminds Reputation: 10

I usually freeze to death while my PC is running XD

Old 08-07-2018, 07:22 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967479
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107

Now that I can see the front panel, I am not overly surprised it was posing some measure of restriction. The solid panel with inlets at the top/bottom does reduce the amount of air coming through at xxx speed. Side inlets tend to be better and on most of the recent cases with this you see designers adding more depth to the panel to reduce the negative effect. That's also kind of how it goes. If you put a noise suppression panel on something, it is going to help retain sound energy in the case, but that also means it is going to retain heat energy as well and the block is in both directions. Overly complicated way of saying you can't have both a super open airflow case and a noise suppression case in the same box. Still, we are talking about single digit change and while this is a frequent topic in June, July, August. I know anyone asking in January is probably in Australia. Just a Summer thing.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2018, 07:47 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967485

You know, the one thing we didn't talk about was controlling fan speeds at these temps. Most of the presets have a base of around 20-23C or standard room temperature. So if you are starting off at 30C, it essentially thinks you are at load when you are only at idle. There isn't much need to run the fans high at idle and you can't reduce the coolant or CPU any further. Almost everyone is going to want to make themselves a custom fan curve.

Hit the + sign to create a new "cooling mode" (this can be renamed). New stuff appears in the lower central menu area. Figure out your normal Summer idle coolant temp. (Looks like about 29-30C). Set a fan speed that is non-irritating. I use about 600 rpm, but you can use less. I prefer mine just a bit higher to cover up the noise from my two pumps. Then decide what speed makes these fans annoying to you. Lets says that is 1000 rpm. Set the 1000 marker on the curve to a coolant level you are only going to reach in extreme circumstances. Maybe 40C. You will have to observe and see. Straight line the rest of the points. That's it. Slow and steady is all you need for radiator fans. The only added wrinkle for you is this is also your sole intake source of air, so running them a little faster will still get air into the case, even if you don't need it for CPU cooling. You will have to see if it matters.

*Because room temp is not a static value, I leave myself some wiggle room at idle. I'll might be as low as 25C in the morning and more like 29-30C in the late afternoon as the sun bakes this side of the building. I use the 29-30C as the base. If I am playing around and it 25C, the coolant won't even make it to 30C so the fan speed becomes irrelevant.

Old 08-07-2018, 02:45 PM
Noob
arflyy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967552
arflyy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
You know, the one thing we didn't talk about was controlling fan speeds at these temps. Most of the presets have a base of around 20-23C or standard room temperature. So if you are starting off at 30C, it essentially thinks you are at load when you are only at idle. There isn't much need to run the fans high at idle and you can't reduce the coolant or CPU any further. Almost everyone is going to want to make themselves a custom fan curve.

Hit the + sign to create a new "cooling mode" (this can be renamed). New stuff appears in the lower central menu area. Figure out your normal Summer idle coolant temp. (Looks like about 29-30C). Set a fan speed that is non-irritating. I use about 600 rpm, but you can use less. I prefer mine just a bit higher to cover up the noise from my two pumps. Then decide what speed makes these fans annoying to you. Lets says that is 1000 rpm. Set the 1000 marker on the curve to a coolant level you are only going to reach in extreme circumstances. Maybe 40C. You will have to observe and see. Straight line the rest of the points. That's it. Slow and steady is all you need for radiator fans. The only added wrinkle for you is this is also your sole intake source of air, so running them a little faster will still get air into the case, even if you don't need it for CPU cooling. You will have to see if it matters.

*Because room temp is not a static value, I leave myself some wiggle room at idle. I'll might be as low as 25C in the morning and more like 29-30C in the late afternoon as the sun bakes this side of the building. I use the 29-30C as the base. If I am playing around and it 25C, the coolant won't even make it to 30C so the fan speed becomes irrelevant.
I am actually setting up curve right now! Also, today when I booted up my PC, coolant temps were in the low 25-26C, so it's def a ROOM temp issue!

I see your point, maybe I can slap the front panel on and turn up the speed to see what happens?

As i'm typing this, here are the temps as of right now (keep in mind it's early in the morning and my room is WAY* cooler than during day)

Last edited by arflyy; 08-07-2018 at 02:54 PM.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:34 PM
Noob
arflyy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967567

My main issues are:

1. Room temp
2. Case airflow

1. With the front panel ON, Coolant temps never go above 34C. So technically I could just slap it on and forget. However, as the coolant temp increase and stay in the 32-34C range, CPU temp increase as well to about 35-40C, on IDLE.

2. Front panel OFF, coolant temps are MUCH MORE realistic, staying usually under 30C on idle, which in turn keeps my CPU at 30-34C. Much better temps.

I would assume if I was to bring my room to like 1-5C, I would see a dramatic decrease in coolant as well as CPU. This remains to be tested when winter comes around...

Last edited by arflyy; 08-07-2018 at 04:47 PM.

Old 08-07-2018, 04:49 PM

POST ID # = 967570
dcx4610 Reputation: 10

Seems about right based on room temp. I have an 8700k and the H110i and idle at around 30-32C with a pretty warm room. In the winter though, I'm idling at 20/21C which is pretty awesome.

It's all about the ambient room temp.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 08-07-2018, 05:01 PM
Noob
arflyy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967571

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcx4610 View Post
Seems about right based on room temp. I have an 8700k and the H110i and idle at around 30-32C with a pretty warm room. In the winter though, I'm idling at 20/21C which is pretty awesome.

It's all about the ambient room temp.
Can't wait for winter! 20/21C on idle.. wow.

What are your CPU temps when you're hitting 20/21 on idle? I would assume under 30 for sure.

25-28C?

Old 08-08-2018, 07:34 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967640

The only thing I can add to this is fan speeds are not linear in cooling effectiveness. At low speeds, changes in fan speed will have a more noticeable effect. At higher speeds, there may be no further cooling effect. When resistance is moderate to high and the fan speed low (both radiator and case panel blocking pathway), you probably don't move very much air at 400 rpm. Does that mean you need to run them at 800 rpm at idle? Absolutely not. We can see the difference, 2C in coolant temp which only translates into a +2C average at the cores. However, you certainly can alter the coolant temp slightly at idle with more fan speed. Running 600 rpm with the panel closed might be to close running 400 with it ajar.

The other thing is coolant temp range. Most people will see coolant temp about +4-7C over their room temp. That part we can see. However, the maximum for your specific setup is probably going to be about 40C. It might be possible if you kept exhaust fans low to heat up the case with the GPU, but 40C is more or less going to be the maximum value you ever see in Summer. If you hit 50C coolant temp, something is wrong and you need to stop and investigate. To that end, I would make your "fan spike" somewhere in that 43/44-50C range. Most people are not going to sit there and watch coolant temp, but you likely will notice the fans if there are blasting at 100% when they normally would not.

Old 08-08-2018, 11:07 AM

POST ID # = 967668
dcx4610 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by arflyy View Post
Can't wait for winter! 20/21C on idle.. wow.

What are your CPU temps when you're hitting 20/21 on idle? I would assume under 30 for sure.

25-28C?
Yep. Around 23-25. It'll still spike with activity but usually stay in the 30s.

I freak out during the Summer because the temps are so radically different because of ambient temp.

Old 08-08-2018, 12:15 PM
RGB Lunatic
Alcasczar's PC Specs

POST ID # = 967677
Alcasczar Reputation: 10

Just adding in my 2cents,

My ambient room temps controlled by AC stays steady around 20-22c.

CPU is i7 8700k (DELID) Mild OC to 4.8ghz and XMP 3200 on ram
Cooler Corsair Hyrdo H115I

CASE 760T

Idle temp is 30-35c.

Playing a game like overwatch it sits around 40-48c with occassional spikes to 50-55c but not for long.

I using a high performance mode for power profile too.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg JPEG_20180717_212336.jpg (1.29 MB, 83 views)

Tags
8700k, cooler, temp jump, temperature