The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Hydro X Custom Cooling

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-22-2020, 11:57 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047487
DevBiker Reputation: 94

It's worth noting that Jay pointed out you aren't going to come across this in real life. It's a serious edge case and having a card installed in a manner that would expose the flaw would have other issues as well. Can it be improved? Sure. Is it a "major flaw"? No .. a major flaw would be on that a user would see during reasonable and normal usage. That's not the case here.

But ... the reality is ... we live in a world where it is deemed necessary to put a warning label on curling irons that states "Not for internal use". Dumb people gonna dumb. An extra level if idiot-proofing wouldn't hurt. I'd be curious to see if an interim fix could be as simple as Jay suggested - just a slightly thicker o-ring.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Old 05-23-2020, 12:51 AM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047494
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by DevBiker View Post
It's worth noting that Jay pointed out you aren't going to come across this in real life. It's a serious edge case and having a card installed in a manner that would expose the flaw would have other issues as well. Can it be improved? Sure. Is it a "major flaw"? No .. a major flaw would be on that a user would see during reasonable and normal usage. That's not the case here.

But ... the reality is ... we live in a world where it is deemed necessary to put a warning label on curling irons that states "Not for internal use". Dumb people gonna dumb. An extra level if idiot-proofing wouldn't hurt. I'd be curious to see if an interim fix could be as simple as Jay suggested - just a slightly thicker o-ring.
A simple warning label not to flex the terminal might be a good idea actually. At least people who know how to read might be able to avoid issues by better knowing the tolerances of their hardware.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:10 AM

POST ID # = 1047496
PeiXi Reputation: 10
Thumbs down

Wow just wow, what snotty replies from a Corsair rep in view this is a real overlooked flaw.

My own encounter with your MP600 SSD support and now this. Your brand is going down hill. Avoiding Corsair please all!

-MP600 SSD have problem reaching full speeds in X570, go look at the complaints in your SSD forums-
-Corsair have kept quiet and is ignoring us all-

Last edited by PeiXi; 05-23-2020 at 01:12 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:11 AM

POST ID # = 1047497
PeiXi Reputation: 10
Thumbs down

Quote:

It is not an edge case, watch Linus video, he was trying to link the CPU and GPU block and the leak happens too.

Watch Igorlab, he reported to Corsair back in 10-2019, a simple tug cause the leaks

https://www.igorslab.de/en/corsair-h...-watt-success/
Old 05-23-2020, 01:18 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047498
DevBiker Reputation: 94

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeiXi View Post
Wow just wow, what snotty replies from a Corsair rep in view this is a real overlooked flaw.

My own encounter with your MP600 SSD support and now this. Your brand is going down hill. Avoiding Corsair please all!

-MP600 SSD have problem reaching full speeds in X570, go look at the complaints in your SSD forums-
I don't think that there has been a single Corsair rep replying on this so I'm not sure where you are talking about snotty replies.

And this is a user forum. Not an official channel.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Helpful Links and FAQs:
AIO FAQ | RGB FAQ |
HydroX FAQ | RGB Cables |
iCUE Tips & Tricks

Last edited by DevBiker; 05-23-2020 at 01:22 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 01:50 AM
Administrator
Wired's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047499
Wired Reputation: 32

Quote:
Quote:
I don't think that there has been a single Corsair rep replying on this so I'm not sure where you are talking about snotty replies.
Correct, there hasn't. The list of Corsair Employees on the forum can be found here, under Corsair Employees.
Admin of this forum / webdesignforums.net / Petri's IT Forum / The Corsair Memory Steam Group
Founder/Creator/Admin of ZE SECRET PROJECT (Coming Soon)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:32 AM
LeDoyen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047531
LeDoyen Reputation: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by A Computer Guy View Post
A simple warning label not to flex the terminal might be a good idea actually. At least people who know how to read might be able to avoid issues by better knowing the tolerances of their hardware.
A thicker o-ring would just bend the plastic more and probably cause more issues, or flat out not work.

Increasing screw torque deforms the plastic and makes the bracket bow, making the situation worse

A stiff machined manifold would mostly solve the issue with the 2 screw design but if Corsair wants to keep the cheaper injection molded solution, they will have to figure out how to better clamp these o-rings, maybe with a 3 screws solution as everyone pointed out.

In a purely mechanical sense, it's a bad design, but maybe they worked around the clock to release one piece of each element of a custom loop when launching hydro-X?
Old 05-23-2020, 11:45 AM
Infin1tum's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047551
Infin1tum Reputation: 10

Maybe it would be enough to add a simple pin into the middle instead of a screw. That would probably add enough rigidity to keep the manifold from flexing. I don't know how thick the plastic is between the ports but people might be even able to do that themselves if they are concerned it'll happen to them. And you wouldn't need much of a retooling I think. Either mold the pin directly into the plastic or add a step in machining to drill another hole. The molds need to be changes frequently anyways as far as I know about injection molding.

Last edited by Infin1tum; 05-23-2020 at 11:49 AM.
Old 05-23-2020, 03:15 PM
LeDoyen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047589
LeDoyen Reputation: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infin1tum View Post
Maybe it would be enough to add a simple pin into the middle instead of a screw. That would probably add enough rigidity to keep the manifold from flexing. I don't know how thick the plastic is between the ports but people might be even able to do that themselves if they are concerned it'll happen to them. And you wouldn't need much of a retooling I think. Either mold the pin directly into the plastic or add a step in machining to drill another hole. The molds need to be changes frequently anyways as far as I know about injection molding.
A new hole in the middle would be too close to one of the screws holding the plexi to the cooling plate, that would make the plastic prone to cracking. But they could relocate that other screw a few mm lower and call it a day.
Old 05-24-2020, 02:27 AM
A Computer Guy's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047633
A Computer Guy Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeDoyen View Post
Major Hardware actually started the whole leak investigation because he found his XG7 leaking in his rig.. just sitting there.

It's true for 99.9% of people it will work okay, but nonetheless it's a slightly flimsy design, just because the manifold is not stiff enough to work perfectly with just two screws.
Because it's molded, they can't make it thick because of deformations when the plastic cools (the constant thickness rule), so it would require 3 screws to deal with the inherent flex of a thin plastic piece.

They did not point at a scandal or a monstruous hidden flaw.. it's a weak point of this block, and unless people point at it, it won't be resolved.
In the PC enthusiast world, "Good enough" is not enough :) at least not at this price point. I would be very reluctant about installing a potentially leaky block on a 1200$ card. It has to be sturdy, and work, no matter what.
I found another youtube video made back in Oct 2019 from igorsLAB. I know zero German but from the horrible google auto generated translation he was basically saying he accidentally caused it to leak when using soft-tubing so be careful not to apply too much pressure the terminal in the wrong way or it may leak but as long as it's in the correct position you should be fine. Also it looked like from his comparison charts the Corsair block performed pretty well against the competition.

Last edited by A Computer Guy; 05-24-2020 at 02:31 AM.
Old 05-24-2020, 01:17 PM
Fishman101's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1047712
Fishman101 Reputation: 10

Quote:

well to counter this, i have had to deal with corsair support twice now; once for my hydro x pump failing and the second time for the leds in the xg7 failing. both times they have gotten back to really fast diagnosed the problem super quick and sent out replacements ASAP. in my experience the total time from ticket to receiving the replacement has been under a week which i believe is fantastic. also the customer support on the other end of the email was always polite i cannot rate their customer service highly enough.

i know not everyone has had such a good experience but seeing as everyone is being so negative about customer service i thought id throw my two pennies worth in.

As for the block, i have had mine (including replacement) for 9 months now and have had no leaks and have rebuilt the system three times with no problems, i am slightly concerned now but using hard tubing it shouldn't be a problem
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20200524_181543[5644].jpg (1.73 MB, 27 views)
Old 05-28-2020, 06:55 AM
Flynny75's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1048246
Flynny75 Reputation: 10

Whist he is clearly having fun in this video, he does state it does not take much force at all to cause a leak.

Some respondents in this thread sound like they have their head in the sand. Its one thing to try and calm peoples nerves, but its another to bash people doing these 'tests' until Corsair provides any sort of official response. I like Corsair probably more than the average Joe (I have ~15 Corsair components), but lets not be fanboys about this.
Old 05-28-2020, 09:41 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1048267
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynny75 View Post

Whist he is clearly having fun in this video, he does state it does not take much force at all to cause a leak.

Some respondents in this thread sound like they have their head in the sand. Its one thing to try and calm peoples nerves, but its another to bash people doing these 'tests' until Corsair provides any sort of official response. I like Corsair probably more than the average Joe (I have ~15 Corsair components), but lets not be fanboys about this.

If he was trying to be serious, he picked an unfortunate title frame with the massive look of surprise after confessing to watching all the other videos of people doing it. The only video that is getting bashed is the original and for it's content, a complete lack of any methodology, and combined with questionable intent.

What surprises me is the number of people who keep adding to this all over the internet who: 1) don't have the block in the question; 2) appear not to have any custom water cooling at all and potentially no experience in general; 3) haven't made a post in 5 years, but suddenly run to the Corsair forums to link to some video showing the problem. What is the motivation there?
Old 05-28-2020, 11:33 AM
Flynny75's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1048284
Flynny75 Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
If he was trying to be serious, he picked an unfortunate title frame with the massive look of surprise after confessing to watching all the other videos of people doing it. The only video that is getting bashed is the original and for it's content, a complete lack of any methodology, and combined with questionable intent.

What surprises me is the number of people who keep adding to this all over the internet who: 1) don't have the block in the question; 2) appear not to have any custom water cooling at all and potentially no experience in general; 3) haven't made a post in 5 years, but suddenly run to the Corsair forums to link to some video showing the problem. What is the motivation there?
Because I was just about to buy one, having already bought / fitted / enjoyed the rest of the Hydro X / Corsair RGB ecosystem. Just because I've not posted about it anywhere doesn't mean my opinion and concerns for my 2080TI are invalid.

Yes. My specs are out of date.
Old 05-28-2020, 11:49 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1048294
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 116

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynny75 View Post
Because I was just about to buy one, having already bought / fitted / enjoyed the rest of the Hydro X / Corsair RGB ecosystem. Just because I've not posted about it anywhere doesn't mean my opinion and concerns for my 2080TI are invalid.
The you should have led with "I am considering purchasing this and would like some reassurances... etc.". But that's not what you did. You decided instead to throw out an insult and asked no questions at all. So now you have a credibility problem. I'll assume you are not answering for the 50 other people out there doing the same thing.