Corsair Community

Corsair H80i - constant Quiet-Mode & Firmware?

eCronik

Hey guys,

I am using the H80i for an i7-5930K since 1.5 years now and just discovered Corsair Link. Didn't even know it existed, as I've bought the PC from a manufacturer.

Anyways, I was complaining all the time, that the cooler is pretty noisy - until I discovered the Quiet Mode now. When monitoring Corsair Link, the only thing that changes when I switch from Balanced to Quiet is the RPM of the Fan's, as it goes down to around 1150 RPM in idle, load 1350 RPM - Pump remains being around 2300 RPM, idle and load. So basically constantly using the Quiet-Mode should even increase the life of my Cooler, right (or at least of the Fans)? So is it safe to use the Quiet Mode all the time?

I did OC my CPU to 4.3 GHz - in Balanced Mode max load temps were around 70°C - in Quiet Mode it is max 75°C. Loving the silence... :) Corsair Link says the H80i stays below 50°C at all times. Is that OK too, as I assume there the liquid is meant. What would be the max temperature for that?

Furthermore, I've seen in Corsair Link (Version 4.2.1.42) that my Cooler has a Firmware (1.0.5). Are there any updates on that and if so, how to apply it? Don't see any function for that in Link and when searching via Google don't find any links or ways to download any Firmware?

Thanks in advance!

Best regards,

eC

You should be fine to use Quiet mode 99% of the time with the possible exception of long, sustained loads. The fans aid in the removal of heat from the water (H80i Temperature or H80i Cooler Temp), but the differences in water temp at high fan speeds are small. During normal variable load usage, you are unlikely to see a meaningful difference. You can also set up a custom curve as a compromise between quiet and performance. You may also notice as the weather warms up (and your room), baseline fan speed will increase. This is because the water temperature has increased as well, regardless of CPU load. Custom curves can be useful for maintaining your current nominal water temperature without unnecessary fan speed.

50C water temp is still safe, but it is about the line where I might want to start making changes or at least taking a hard look at the set-up if you encounter 50C regularly. I can't tell from your information, but if you have gotten close to 50C water temp than you either a) live in the tropics or b) have the H80i mounted in the rear exhaust port on your case; c) you have a 980 Ti. There is nothing wrong with this per se, but your water temperature will take a lot of that heat and boost your idle water temps (and thus fan speed too). Besides a custom curve, another way to deal that issue is to run a fixed fan speed when you know you are going to have a sustained load -- CPU or GPU. Pick a speed you can stand to listen to, then lock it and save it as a preset for easy loading. When mounted in the rear exhaust slot, the cooler has the secondary purpose of removing waste heat from the case. More exhaust is better, but perhaps not at the expense of irritatingly loud fans. The fixed speed keeps a constant rate and I found this was the best solution when running that kind of set up.

I have lost track of the firmware versions for that cooler. Also, the naming of these things has become rather intertwined. We are talking about this H80i and not the more recent GT or V2.

You should be fine to use Quiet mode 99% of the time with the possible exception of long, sustained loads. The fans aid in the removal of heat from the water (H80i Temperature or H80i Cooler Temp), but the differences in water temp at high fan speeds are small. During normal variable load usage, you are unlikely to see a meaningful difference. You can also set up a custom curve as a compromise between quiet and performance. You may also notice as the weather warms up (and your room), baseline fan speed will increase. This is because the water temperature has increased as well, regardless of CPU load. Custom curves can be useful for maintaining your current nominal water temperature without unnecessary fan speed.

50C water temp is still safe, but it is about the line where I might want to start making changes or at least taking a hard look at the set-up if you encounter 50C regularly. I can't tell from your information, but if you have gotten close to 50C water temp than you either a) live in the tropics or b) have the H80i mounted in the rear exhaust port on your case; c) you have a 980 Ti. There is nothing wrong with this per se, but your water temperature will take a lot of that heat and boost your idle water temps (and thus fan speed too). Besides a custom curve, another way to deal that issue is to run a fixed fan speed when you know you are going to have a sustained load -- CPU or GPU. Pick a speed you can stand to listen to, then lock it and save it as a preset for easy loading. When mounted in the rear exhaust slot, the cooler has the secondary purpose of removing waste heat from the case. More exhaust is better, but perhaps not at the expense of irritatingly loud fans. The fixed speed keeps a constant rate and I found this was the best solution when running that kind of set up.

I have lost track of the firmware versions for that cooler. Also, the naming of these things has become rather intertwined. We are talking about this H80i and not the more recent GT or V2.

Thank you for your answer! Yes, I'm having the "normal" H80i you've linked and it is using the rear exhaust of the case. Water temps in idle are around ~36°C - I have set already a counter-measurement when it hits 51°C - then it'll bump the fans to 100%. Same with the CPU going over 85°C.

CPU idle temp (Package) is around ~45°C - in Quiet-Mode as well as in Balanced. These temps when the OC is applied though - not having the stock temperatures right now.

If there would be an available firmware upgrade for that Cooler - where could I get it/how to apply it? Like I mentioned, no function for that in Corsair Link - at least not in the most recent version for me.

Thanks,

eC

At some point it went from manual firmware updates to updating through LINK. However, I think the problem may be that you skipped right up the current version of LINK which cannot update that model. You may have to temporarily roll back to an older link version to apply the update, then uninstall and re-install the current version. Hopefully, someone else can point you to the exact version and confirm the process.

At some point it went from manual firmware updates to updating through LINK. However, I think the problem may be that you skipped right up the current version of LINK which cannot update that model. You may have to temporarily roll back to an older link version to apply the update, then uninstall and re-install the current version. Hopefully, someone else can point you to the exact version and confirm the process.

Yes, you were right - I rolled back to 3.1.5570 and instantly after rebooting CL reminded me that there is a Firmware update to 1.0.7 for the Cooler - applied it, uninstalled and reinstalled most recent.

Weird though, that they don't have that integrated anymore.

Glad it got sorted. I suspect CL4.xx only has this issue with the prior H80/100 H80i/100i models and it was necessary from a technical standpoint to divorce the older method of loading the firmware from the current LINK program. Having spent a lot of time with the old system, I feel change is good.

Archived