Corsair Community

HX650 singing and annoying noise

ildotoress

Hello,

I've just purchased a new PSU and as I am (hopefully not 'was') a Corsair fan I've donated my old HX520 and bought a HX650.

The power supply performs flawlessly except for one weird noise.

Randomly is does a 'bird singing' noise. This occurs in idle as well as in full load (the actual load is < or ~ 330W).

I just couldn't believe it when I heard it, and it is definitely coming from the PSU.

I've done a little research and it seams that all the first lot of PSUs have this problem. Only a change with a PSU from a newer lot will fix it.

Unfortunately the local reseller only has the defective lot (as does all Romania).

I think Corsair should have recalled ASAP all the PSUs, as many other correct manufacturers do. Very disappointed about this.

I've already placed a RAM request, no. [5362950]

I hope I will not be charged for any shipment and other expenses as I've already paid 148$ for acquiring this unit.

Please help me solve this as quick as possible.

Thank you

I've also got this same problem with my HX650 gold, but I live in the UK.

I'm now onto my 2nd PSU after I sent the first back to my supplier. Now I've just fitted this brand new one and the bird noises are starting up again.

I'll contact my dealer and send it back (again), but I'm really put off Corsair with this issue. I've always used them for previous PC builds in the past. For £100 I thought I was getting a quality product :(.

uh i'm scared now...i just ordered one of these in the USA and started finding out about the noises it makes.... ugh

youtube is loaded with HX650 noise videos....some sound like duck calls....

I'm just wondering if at some point corsair has changed something in the manufacturing of the HX650 to fix this....because it seems like an obvious defect

Can some one look into my case please.

I would also have an other request, if I may, can you please send me first the replacement part as I am earning my living on this PC and I do not have an other PSU (I can not stay without a working PC). I know from experience that this is a common practice with APC, Dell, etc. (You (the buyer) receive the replacement part and in the same packaging you return the defective one on the manufacturers cost).

Thank you

I have already placed a RMA request, as mentioned above, the number is: 5362950. But the instructions provided there leave the cost of delivery on my account.

The delivery companies in Romania estimated my cost for shipment to the provided address (Almere, The Netherlands) as a minimum of 100$. This is just absurd.. I am certain that you, as a company, have incomparable better costs negotiated for these expeditions.

I can not afford to do this at the costs that are in RO for non-commercial clients.

Please give me alternative options. (as suggested by me above)

Thank you

I've contacted UPS and finally they they generated my pick-up ID.

But in the meanwhile the PSU started making a hissing sound (like a coil noise but much higher).

It is very low while powered on and the PC running but a lot louder while it is powered on and the PC not running (idle).

I have a Mustek Power Must 800 USB UPS.

My old HX520 was not doing this noise, what could be the source?

Will the new model (that will arrive as of RMA) solve also this issue?

Got this problem as well, bought it in France last week and just received it today. So obviously, it's a frequent and known issue. RMA request just sent a few minutes ago (case number: 5393530).

Considering this is obviously a known issue (defective/poorly balanced fan?) and since the unit is brand new, I do hope I won't be charged return fees for this... otherwise it'd be hugely disappointing.

I've tried to check this more in detail.

Most of the time, the fan spins up, down, and stops without the annoying noise happening (typical cycle is 25-30 seconds with my computer being idle... it can stop for a very short time, though, even less than 1 seconds, before spinning up again).

The squeaking noise indeed does not seem to happen when the fan has enough time to completely stop, before spinning up again. When it decelerates enough and reaches a very, very low speed (very close to stopping) before spinning up, it doesn't seem to happen either (not so sure, though - sounds like it sometimes queals, sometimes not).

Each time I've seen it happen, it had started to spin down (not not close enough to stopping), and went back to higher speed just after/while the noise appeared - it's like the fan is decelerating (power is cut/reduced), and when power is reapplied it squeaks while catching back (or it is ordered to slow but not completely, and that makes the noise).

That's very annoying, with very variable frequency since it seems to depend on whether the fan is given time to spin down completely, or is ordered to spin up again before it has stopped (at least on my unit - maybe some other units do the noise even when the fan spins down completely).

Probably there's an issue with this series of fans (which aren't the quietest fans either - there are distinct, aerodynamic and mechanical noises, even in normal mode). The problem itself seems easy to solve (replace the fan with a non-faulty/more adapted one). In fact, I'd even gladly do it myself if it didn't void the warranty (and put a better, quieter fan inside).

By the way, IMHO this is a not so efficient algorithm, since it'd seem to be better keep the fan spinning at low(est) speed, rather than cutting it and spinning it again even before it has fully stopped (!). Perhaps would be better for the realiability of the fan as well, in the longer term... (and would also have avoided this noise issue).

I don't know what is exactly implemented, but more hysteresis would have been welcome. Don't stop the fan if it has to restart just afterwards, there's really little to nothing to be gained in terms of noise (20 minutes or so without any fan noise would be great, but periods of 30 seconds or so are really of no advantage - it's even worse, since it's easier to notice a fan frequently spinning up and down, than a continuous fan noise that can become unnoticed after a while).

And the HW650 starts spinning down/cutting the fan, then spins up/restarts it barely a few seconds afterwards, even before it has stopped...

By the way, I've received an answer from Tech Support. They only give me the address to ship it to (in The Netherlands).

Shipping costs to The Netherlands (from France) are definitely expensive, so it's really a disappointment, especially considering it's a brand new unit. I would really be expecting better service from Corsair, than paying myself a third of the unit's costs in shipping alone, and for something new from the box...

• Corsair Employee
I have sent another request for our customer service to contact you but it may best for you to call them by phone. You can call the toll free number listed under Contact on the main site using skype to make the call for free

Up..........

i've contacted ups and finally they they generated my pick-up id.

But in the meanwhile the psu started making a hissing sound (like a coil noise but much higher).

It is very low while powered on and the pc running but a lot louder while it is powered on and the pc not running (idle).

I have a mustek power must 800 usb ups.

My old hx520 was not doing this noise, what could be the source?

Will the new model (that will arrive as of rma) solve also this issue?

I have a similar issue and definitely is not the first. To the OP, is the noise similar to this video below?

Definitely the same noise that I have on mine... (now being sent to the Netherlands - thanks, by the way, for the so-far great customer service and tech support).

The only positive thing is the direct RMA process, but in rest I am terribly disappointed.

I can't understand if this is a known issue why weren't the defective lots retreated from market, and even more, not used as RMA replacements.

There is clearly a design problem or insufficient quality check which is really odd since you've raised the warranty to 7 years...

I returned the PSU and requested my money back, hopefully the local shop will do this and I won't be forced to RMA it again.

In conclusion you've lost me as a client for future builds.

• 2 weeks later...

My PSU is just back as well.

And, alas, my replacement unit is still noisy as well. Which is, really, quite a disappointment. Especially considering that the delay for money back from the shop is over, in my case (in France, we only have two weeks).

This sound is hugely annoying, makes the PC unsuitable for any use (movies, even gaming... since I have a silent case, the bird/chirp is audible and prevents immersion), and thus basically makes the PSU useless - in a quality product, this should never even happen.

On the plus side, your RMA process is great, I've always had friendly and helpful people answering me (at least until now) but alas, the replacement unit is faulty. Errors are human, they can't always be avoided (even in RMA)... thus, great companies are those who are able to handle these properly. So I do hope Corsair has a real fix for that...

By the way, here's the details of the PSU I got shipped back as a replacement (on the seal of the internal box):

SKU: CP-9020030-EU

LOT#: 12387002

75 P/N: 75-001217

I'm wondering if this replacement unit also belongs to a batch of defective ones... or even if this is actually a design issue.

PS: should I request a new RMA number, or continue with the current one?

Archived