Corsair Community

Cx600

Caughtout3

These new CX series PSU's are cheap chinese units made by CWT,There is a reason the cx series is rated at 30°C instead of 40°C or 50°C.

http://www.overclock.net/t/837679/psa-the-corsair-cx-series#post10897631

Corsair pulled one of the oldest tricks in the shoddy PSU book, and rated it at room temperature. Ok, a smidgen above room temperature. 30 degrees Celsius, vs. 40-50C for all their other power supplies. So by rating the CX600 at thirty degrees instead of forty or fifty they can squeeze out an extra hundred watts. For an estimate, I'd say that the CX500 is a DSA 450W, and the CX600 is a DSA 500W.

• Corsair Employee

caughtout

Opinions are like one's behind; we all have one but some are more size oder challenged than others. ;):

However, CX series line of PSU's are Value based and we never hid the fact that are rated at 30 Deg C in fact its published in the product specification. We aren’t misleading anybody – we openly acknowledge it’s rated at 30C.

And all units in its price range are rated at 25C or 30C. Our GS series is rated at 40C, and TX, HX, and AX are all rated at 50C.

CX Series PSU's are inexpensive, but they are not “cheap”. It does every rated specification that it says it does – unlike a lot of units in its price range. And we stand behind our 3 year warranty on every CX series product.

yea yea,lets dispense with the personal attacks..

cx 400 was rated at 40°C.. then the rating went to 30°C for the cx series when you swapped vendors.

Yes, It does everything its rated for, but if it dies every 5 months and cost me $10+ to return it each time the warranty means nothing,nevermind the week plus downtime. I bought Corsair thinking i was getting a reliable product,even with a replacement I can never have the peace of mind I thought I was getting.

• Corsair Employee

caughtout

That was not a personal attack, only an observation, and you are entitled to your opinion but I am sorry to say its not correct. However, I am sorry that you felt it was an attack on you personally as it was not intended to be that way.

... go for a PSU that is higher current (not wattage) rated - there are plenty by all manufacturers that are aimed at overclocking or just a bit higher specced...

Higher current, but not "wattage", does not make sense. Power (Watts) is dependent upon current (amps) and voltage, you cannot increase current with the same voltage without also increasing power, or watts. It's simple math, Power = Current X Voltage, or Watts = Amps X Voltage.

A PS might have a 12V rail with an increased amperage output, while reducing the amperage available on the 3.3V or 5V rails, with the same overall power rating.

caughtout

That was not a personal attack, only an observation, and you are entitled to your opinion but I am sorry to say its not correct. However, I am sorry that you felt it was an attack on you personally as it was not intended to be that way.

Not correct?

Was the cx400 rated at 30 or 40?

answer: http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx400.html

•Rated up to 400W of continuous power output at 40ºC

Did the rating for cx series change from 40° to 30° with the OEM vendor swap?

answer: http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx430-v2-80plus-certified-power-supply.html

430 Watts @ 30°C ambient temperature

So tell me how is that "not correct"?

And let me ask you if you tested these new CX PSUs at 40° what wattage would they be rated at then? Im very curious to know.

Well, according to this review, a CX430 V2 performed within it's specs at an ambient temperature above 30C, which is specifically mentioned in the review:

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=239

The CX series is Corsair's least expensive PS offering, and is clearly a tight-budget type of unit. Can we expect it to have the same specs and capabilities of the best PS's made? The temp rating may have changed, but that's certainly no secret. Prices are up on everything, and to meet a price point, something must be compromised, that being the components used.

CWT builds the top models of the HX-series PS's for Corsair, and IMO they are hardly cheap, poorly made power supplies. Made in China? What PS isn't?

Heres a link for you too parsec:

http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:PEmpbT2Z5QwJ:www.overclock.net/10897631-post1.html+http://www.overclock.net/10897631-post1.html&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=us

Id link the original but the forum is down.

I was referring to the cheap chinese samxon capacitor in this series,obviously Im aware they are all made in china, just not always with chinese parts.

IMO,If they had any confidence in this PSU they wouldnt have upgraded my RMA so easily.

Here is how that went down, I called and said I wanted a different series PSU than the cx after I had found out that the cx series had been so radically overrated, she said no. So then I asked for a refund,she said no. So then I asked for a copy of the warranty that corsairs site says is available from customer service for purchases before sept. 1 when the new warranty came into effect, thats when I got put on hold for about 25 seconds so she could "talk to a supervisor" well She forgot all about the warranty request and happily told me my RMA had been upgraded. lol

As for CWT, I realize they make all sorts of models, budget to premium and Im not saying any other models are any better or worse but this CWT design at 500w and 600w is overrated.

I am mad that I got taken by corsair, it was the cx400 that got me buying their products so when I needed another cheap PSU quick I went back to them thinking I was getting a decent product. I agree it was my fault for not doing a more thorough investigation, but Im gonna let as many people I can know not to bother with the cx line.

Not correct?
I believe RG was saying your opining on the unit being cheap (not referring to price) was the opinion part and was incorrect, NOT the product specs.

How were you taken? The product meets its rated specs, right? As for the upgrade, it sounds like when the supervisor was asked about your question and he heard about your situation (sounds like your 2nd RMA), he offered an upgrade to make a customer happy. They do that on occasion, not a big surprise or anything.

I believe RG was saying your opining on the unit being cheap (not referring to price) was the opinion part and was incorrect, NOT the product specs.

How were you taken? The product meets its rated specs, right? As for the upgrade, it sounds like when the supervisor was asked about your question and he heard about your situation (sounds like your 2nd RMA), he offered an upgrade to make a customer happy. They do that on occasion, not a big surprise or anything.

I called it cheap because it uses Samxon main Caps.,does any other line of Corsair PSU use Samxon main caps?

The cx400 which has lasted me years and is still going strong powering a system that the cx500 died on in 5 months. That is why I feel I was taken, but as I said my fault for not investigating more. That doesnt change the fact that many others are purchasing cx series PSU's on Corsairs brand recognition alone

Its a first RMA and Im sure it was to get rid of me as I was persistent albeit civil and it sure seemed to me that they didnt want to deal with providing me a copy of the old warranty.

So can anyone tell me what the wattage rating would be for the cx500/cx600 if rated at 40°? How close to the truth is this quote?

http://www.overclock.net/t/837679/psa-the-corsair-cx-series#post10897631

Corsair pulled one of the oldest tricks in the shoddy PSU book, and rated it at room temperature. Ok, a smidgen above room temperature. 30 degrees Celsius, vs. 40-50C for all their other power supplies. So by rating the CX600 at thirty degrees instead of forty or fifty they can squeeze out an extra hundred watts. For an estimate, I'd say that the CX500 is a DSA 450W, and the CX600 is a DSA 500W.

Well, if you prefer to agree with one person's opinion, rather than an objective analysis/test of the unit, that is your prerogative.

Actually, I'm familiar with that person and where he posts. He tends to be in that group of PC enthusiasts that consider any hardware that is not the latest and greatest to be "obsolete" and worthless. Power supplies in particular must deliver 1000 Watts and have voltage regulation at full power under one percent, and operating temps of 30C.

His post you linked to is more of a rant regarding (in his eyes) Corsair no longer being a Boutique manufacture since they have a line of cheaper, budget power supplies. That takes some of the "shine" off his own guru status, of owning and/or recommending Corsair products, the high-end by association set.

I see you copied and pasted a paragraph of his post and used it in yours... verbatim.

This is the part I liked from his post: "The CX430, CX500, and CX600 are a joke. Is the new CX series terrible? No. It's still better than a lot of the crap out there." :ummmm:

He went on to say he could not recommend those units. I imagine Corsair is devastated.

Well, if you prefer to agree with one person's opinion, rather than an objective analysis/test of the unit, that is your prerogative.

*snip for brevity*

Has nothing to do with one persons opinion, I want to know if what he was saying is true. Are there any legit reviews of the cx500/600? because basing your opinion of the cx500/600 on a cx430 review is asinine.

I want to know if any other corsair series uses Samxon primary caps.

And I would like to know what wattage these units would rate at if they were rated the same as the cx 400.

Is the cx series based on the CWT DSA platform?

I dont think these are unreasonable questions to ask of Corsairs techs.

Has nothing to do with one persons opinion, I want to know if what he was saying is true. Are there any legit reviews of the cx500/600? because basing your opinion of the cx500/600 on a cx430 review is asinine...

I don't think an inference on the others performance based upon a review of the model one or two steps below them in power is asinine. Actually, that is not what my post was about, it's point is that that the CX430 performed fine at an ambient temp above it's specs. But since you bring up another point...

It's obvious if you study PS reviews, that models from the same line that are one or two steps in power rating above the base or first model in the line, are the same basic design with additional components that allow it to provide more power. Add another or larger capacity rectifier, one or more voltage regulators, another capacitor or two, slightly larger transformer, larger heatsinks here and there, and you have a unit with 100 Watts more capacity, which is about eight amps on the 12V rail.

Would you expect them to perform similarly? Sure.

I don't think an inference on the others performance based upon a review of the model one or two steps below them in power is asinine. Actually, that is not what my post was about, it's point is that that the CX430 performed fine at an ambient temp above it's specs. But since you bring up another point...

It's obvious if you study PS reviews, that models from the same line that are one or two steps in power rating above the base or first model in the line, are the same basic design with additional components that allow it to provide more power. Add another or larger capacity rectifier, one or more voltage regulators, another capacitor or two, slightly larger transformer, larger heatsinks here and there, and you have a unit with 100 Watts more capacity, which is about eight amps on the 12V rail.

Would you expect them to perform similarly? Sure.

The cx430 is the best PSU in the cx line because its watt rating is within/closest to spec of the CWT DSA,a platform that only goes up to 500w.

Generally I would agree with you ie: same basic design, a few better parts to up the power,etc but we havent seen a real inspection/review of the cx5/600 and my personal experience with the unit leads me to believe otherwise for this product line thus my questions to the techs.

Would you expect them to perform similarly? YES,Absolutely yes! but do they?

I bought a cx500 expecting it to perform like a cx400 and we know how that worked out.

Anyways, at this point Id just like some straight answers to my questions from a tech.

I want to know if any other corsair series uses Samxon primary caps.

And I would like to know what wattage these units (cx500/600) would rate at if they were rated the same as the cx 400.

Is the cx series based on the CWT DSA platform?

And I would like to know what wattage these units (cx500/600) would rate at if they were rated the same as the cx 400.
Rated the same? Do you mean this?

So can anyone tell me what the wattage rating would be for the cx500/cx600 if rated at 40°? How close to the truth is this quote?
If so, you'd have to find a review that tested it as such. Ultimately it wouldn't matter within the realm of the warranty / rated specs as that's outside of said specs. If someone chooses to run hardware outside of their specs then that's up to them.

Also, is there any reason you created a 2nd account? I've merged them.

Rated the same? Do you mean this?

If so, you'd have to find a review that tested it as such. Ultimately it wouldn't matter within the realm of the warranty / rated specs as that's outside of said specs. If someone chooses to run hardware outside of their specs then that's up to them.

Also, is there any reason you created a 2nd account? I've merged them.

Let me put it another way. What is the derating of the cx5/600 at 40/50C?

Is there a electrical engineer/tech who can answer this?

As for the realm of rated specs,Does that mean if my PC's ambient temp in the case is 34C that Im outside of spec and voiding warranty simply by using PSU? Even if thats true,knowing the derating of the units at 40C would make it much simpler to accurately draw power from them in real world settings.

Derating - For an AC-DC power supply, the specified reduction in output power required for operation at elevated temperatures

2nd account to dodge the 15 minute lockout that lasted 30+ minutes.

Ive got all the time in the world to wait for a response from an official corsair rep. or tech, meanwhile Ill keep bumping this so everyone can see just how shoddy the cx series is. I dont think Im asking difficult questions here about the derating of these units. Whats it going to take to get some actual help from you?

If it doesnt matter to you then why chime in? I am quite aware this is a entry level PSU.

These are the official forums right? There are official techs/reps here correct? I dont mind waiting around for one of them to address me. The longer it takes the more people see how the cx5/600 are over rated. Then there is the issue I brought up in regards to warranty and ambient case temps. If it doesnt matter to you thats fine,I think it would be useful info for me and others who are considering corsair products. That theyre so tight lipped on these units already speaks volumes to their confidence in them.

Ive also sent a request to tech support via corsair.com>company>contact as all the techsupport link gives you is an option to RMA

We only have CX430 reviews to go by unfortunately, and from what I can see they aren't bad. The "overload test" of this review site's test of the CX430:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-Power-Supply-Review/1200/8

They pulled almost 550 Watts total from it at almost 46C ambient temperature.

The CX430 V2 did not do quite as well as the first version:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX430-V2-Power-Supply-Review/1284/8

The overload test produced 517 Watts total at 44C ambient.

The conclusion in both of those reviews is positive, quite good really.

I seems these units don't need much if any derating. It seems clear that Corsair rated these power supplies, sourced from CWT, conservatively at 30C.

In the same web site's review of the CX400, here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/Corsair-CX400W-Power-Supply-Review/750/8

The overload test produced 484 Watts and 49C ambient, so a bit less than either of the CX430's, although the CX400 is rated at 40C.

All of these units are clearly "entry level" models, as mentioned in the reviews. Anyone who assumes they are buying a unit that is of the same quality as Corsair's high-end models, or budget models being the same as the best any manufacture produces, are mistaken.

Regarding the CX500 and CX600 being overrated, is that based solely upon the statement you posted earlier, taken from a post in another forum, which is this:

"For an estimate, I'd say that the CX500 is a DSA 450W, and the CX600 is a DSA 500W. "

While I don't know either way, the statement "For an estimate..." obviously has no more certainty than an opinion, and of course does not demonstrate those CX models are based on what he thinks they are. So until we see evidence to the contrary, the notion that those CX units are overrated has not been established or proven in any way.

According to the review of the CX400 on that web site, the same platform was used by the popular EarthWatts 500 Watt unit. The CX400 was quite a gift from Corsair, but alas is no more, as the OEM no longer makes it.

Look, Ive already said that I agree CX430 is the best PSU of the series as it best reflects what the platform is capable of. Im done discussing the CX 430.

I believe the CX500/600 are overrated for 3 reasons,

1.My cx 500 failed hard after 5 months on a system that the cx 400 still powers years later.

2. The information from the link I posted earlier that alerted me to the huge drop in quality.

3. The lack of a technician willing to answer my questions regarding these PSU's.

So, Again, Id just like some straight answers to my questions from a tech.

Specifically:

Does any other line of Corsair PSU besides the CX use Samxon primary capacitors?

Is the current CX series based on the CWT DSA platform? If not then which?

What is the derating of the CX500/CX600 at 40/50C?

If my PC's ambient temp in the case is 34C does that mean that Im outside of spec (as these units are rated at 30C) and voiding warranty simply by using the PSU?

Honestly though,At this point I believe they are unwilling to answer these questions because they know it will only confirm what I linked to.

Archived