Corsair Community

HG10 N980 & N970 Thread - Post Issues Here

TheDudeLasse

Those temps look about right; the non-Ti 980 seems to run a bit hotter than a 980 Ti or TITAN X under HG10 in our experience. That's because the 980 has a much smaller die with a higher heat density; the greater surface area of the 980 Ti and TITAN X allows them to transfer heat more efficiently.

As a sidenote, we're testing a fix in house for the N980. Should it be successful, we may be able to roll it back out within a couple of weeks.

Oops... Meant to say 980 Ti

• Replies 928
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's my setup:

HG10 N980 bracket + H80i GT on an MSI reference card.

I'm using a stock bios and I run the card overclocked to about 1460-1480 MHz. The 110 %:n power limit kicks in after 1480 MHz.

My card is a MSI:n GTX 980 Ti reference model (ASIC 80.3 %).

Here are my temps in a Fractal Design Define XL -case (@1480 Mhz):

Idle: 28 c

Furmark: 62 c

Ungine Heaven: 62 c

Fallout 4: 60 c

Battlefront: 65 c (This game really roast my old 2600K:ta as well)

(I have NF-P12 1300 RPM fans hooked up to my AIO's for quiet performance)

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/910/z9wd2Q.png

Here's my setup:

I'm using a stock bios and I run the card overclocked to about 1460-1480 MHz. The 110 %:n power limit kicks in after 1480 MHz.

Ouch, that is about +15* compared to what I see on my EVGA kit :(

Idle is about the same.

Are they just not shipping it due to these issues or just no stock?

It's shipped and waiting at my friend's place. Shipping to my house would have been more than the price of the bracket, but since we're meeting for new year's, it's one less expense on my already withering wallet. :D:

Here's my setup:

http://imagizer.imageshack.us/v2/1600x1200q90/910/z9wd2Q.png

Personally, I wouldn't be happy with those temps atall. I get 65° C max with my ACX 2.0+ cooled, overclocked 980 Ti @ 1.23v with an aggressive fan curve.

I'm satisfied until Corsair releases the promised official fix for this.

I'm sure your ACX 2.0 will run at those temps with an aggressive fan profile, that's exactly what i'm trying to avoid.

That's exactly what I mean. I can get a maximum temperature of 65° C using aggressive air cooling or 75° C using a quiet fan profile, whereas you should be beating my maximum temperatures easy with minimal fan speed; the fact that I'm matching your temps with air cooling at all is just a little shocking.

That's exactly what I mean. I can get a maximum temperature of 65° C using aggressive air cooling or 75° C using a quiet fan profile, whereas you should be beating my maximum temperatures easy with minimal fan speed; the fact that I'm matching your temps with air cooling at all is just a little shocking.

I'd be a little disappointed too, but on the flipside even a poorly performing mount like this will still be venting the heat outside the case instead of inside of it, and is probably a good deal quieter than an aggressive ACX2.0+ profile.

I'd be a little disappointed too, but on the flipside even a poorly performing mount like this will still be venting the heat outside the case instead of inside of it, and is probably a good deal quieter than an aggressive ACX2.0+ profile.

Oops, I had the H80i GT hooked up to the wrong header, the pump was only running at 60%. Now its running at full speed and temps dropped by a few degrees. And yes my system is silent, having tested the ACX 2.0... it's far from silent on higher RPMs.

Yeah, that's the main benefit of whacking a CLLC on a GPU really. I'm sick of heat from the GPU being exhausted inside my case, I'm not really sure how effective the blower fan will be though, considering the bracket isn't a closed bracket like that of the Hydro GFX.

Just did my first install.

I followed Corsair_Dustins unofficial fix to place #6 washers between the Asetek bracket on my H90, and the standoffs on the HG10.

I also peeled the purple thermal pads off the HG10's and placed them on the boards during install. I used the Intel brackets.

I only installed once, and then went to test, so no retries thus far.

I have minimal to no warping of the boards. If there is any at all, it's tough to tell, and only questionable at some angles.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Baseline temps using ACX2.0+

Ambient is 68F/20C for all tests.

Unigine Heaven @4k, 8x MSAA, everything max.

Stock fan profile.

Top GPU (ASIC 82.3%): 83C, 70% fan

Bottom GPU (ASIC 71.0%) 74C, 40% fan

Manual 100% fan:

Top GPU (ASIC 82.3%): 73C

Bottom GPU (ASIC 71.0%) 58C

Heat rises, so we always expect the top GPU to be much hotter, even though in this case it is the higher ASIC card.

___________________________________________________________________________________

Temps with HG10, H90 and my custom wires harnesses

Stock fan profile.

Top GPU (ASIC 82.3%): 68C, 20% fan

Bottom GPU (ASIC 71.0%) 62C, 5% fan

Manual 100% fan:

Top GPU (ASIC 82.3%): 55C

Bottom GPU (ASIC 71.0%) 42C

Some notes:

I use two Noctua Industrial fans for each H90 in push-pull. They are governed using PWM from the video card. These fans can move LOTS of air and are LOUD at full speed, but very quiet at minimum speed, and will actually turn off, if given a 0% PWM signal (which the default ACX2.0+ bios will do below 60C)

My results are perplexing me though. I was expecting the "top GPU is hotter" result to go away, as all the heat is being sucked out the front of the case, but my top GPU still runs about 12-13C hotter than the bottom GPU, despite having a much better ASIC quality, which means it should be cooler, not hotter.

Part of this can be explained by the top H90 being right above the bottom H90 (they are touching) and I imagine some heat rises there. But I don't think that explains everything.

I suspect I might have gotten a better mount on the bottom GPU than on the top one, but I am not sure.

I'm not sure, as it was a major pain, but I might try a remount of the top GPU to see if I can get better temps. I'm still holding off to see what Corsairs solution will be.

Sorry, no pics. I still need to do some buttoning up, routing wires, etc. Will post in a few days.

edit:

Just to test I disabled SLI and re-ran heaven. Top GPU temp was mostly the same, so I am fairly certain I have a worse mount on top GPU than on bottom GPU, and that it has little to nothing to do with GPU position.

Edited by mattlach

Yeah, that's the main benefit of whacking a CLLC on a GPU really. I'm sick of heat from the GPU being exhausted inside my case, I'm not really sure how effective the blower fan will be though, considering the bracket isn't a closed bracket like that of the Hydro GFX.

Well, the beauty is that the blower doesn't have to be very effective. It only has to deal with the VRM and RAM heat, the AIO cooler takes care of the GPU.

My understanding is that leaves very little heat for the blower to deal with. It is probably WAY overkill for what it needs to do, and in fact I'm counting on that, with my voltmod for the blower, making it spin much more quietly.

Well, the beauty is that the blower doesn't have to be very effective. It only has to deal with the VRM and RAM heat, the AIO cooler takes care of the GPU.

My understanding is that leaves very little heat for the blower to deal with. It is probably WAY overkill for what it needs to do, and in fact I'm counting on that, with my voltmod for the blower, making it spin much more quietly.

Your temps are in line with what I'm getting. I have my Noctua AIO fans hooked up to a Molex, so they are running at a constant speed of 1300 RPM. This leaves only my blower fan to be contolled by a custom Afterburner profile. 22% is the lowest it will go, but it seems to be silent at those speeds.

The bracket gets quite hot during load, so it's definitely transferring heat very well from the VRAMs and VRMs. It's not blistering hot however, so I expect the temps to be ok, though it would be good to get some actual measurements.

Does anyone know the screw size of the little screws that hold the bracket to the video card?

The HG10 manual calls them M3 screws, but I have compared them to some M3x0.50 screws that I have, and they seem smaller, so I think it is wrong.

The reason I ask is, that when installing the HG10 bracket on my EVGA ACX2.0+ cards, you have to remove the black heat spreader that sits underneath the ACX2.0+ heatsink. When you do this, you lose the tapped hole that holds the top of the PCI bracket to the video card.

I'm looking to get a couple of nuts, so I can screw the bracket back on, but I just don't know what size they are.

My computer has a very annoying sound that correlates with the pump on the H90's. My theory is that they are vibrating the video cards, and this is creating noise due to them not being tightened down to the PCI slot cover.

Appreciate any thoughts.

lol has eveyrone arleady given up on their hg10 n980?

I'm looking forward to Corsair releasing a revised version, though I am sceptical due to the initial release. I definitely won't be rushing to purchase the revised bracket though and hopefully some reviewers will get hold of it this time and Corsair will deservedly be publicly slaughtered if it's another bad release.

lol has eveyrone arleady given up on their hg10 n980?

Nope.

I'm using mine (installed with the washers as suggested by Corsair_Dustin)

I'm not seeing quite as good temps as I had hoped, but certainly better than I did with the stock ACX2.0+ cooler, and they are perfectly silent.

During actual game play at stock clocks, the most my GPU fans have spun up to is 17% (and the Noctua fans are dead silent at that speed) and sit at ~60C.

The current titles I am playing don't require overclocking, as I have them vsynced at 60hz and am getting no more than 60-70% load, so I just keep them at stock speeds for now.

Before they would spin up crazy fast and be very loud. Now I can't hear the computer at all when wearing my headphones, even during extended gaming sessions. I'm sometimes amazed when I take the headphones off, at how quiet the computer is.

Now, I am waiting for the official fix, to get the temps I want so that when I need to overclock, I can.

My biggest annoyance right now is that the pump on one of my H90s (top GPU) is making a humming noise. I THINK it's just vibration, and I need to tighten something down. (I suspect the fact that on ACX2.0+ boards you lose the top PCI bracket screw when installing the HG10 might be a contributing factor here). I haven't had time to address it yet though. Hopefully soon.