Corsair Community

P5Q3 RAM issues

ayu

9 months ago, I put a lot of effort into getting the right parts for my new computer, also compability-wise. Searched the different sites for products which would suit my needs.

Came across the Asus P5Q3 Deluxe/Wifi AP, and as a guy comming straight from DDR(1), DDR3 was like totally new for me, so I wanted to make sure that I got some RAM that where compatible.

I found the compability-list on this site and found the TWIN3X4096-1600C9DHX listed as being compatible (think it was as enthusiast).

I bought the parts, and got my rig together, and have had nothing but troubles since.

I have recently got them sort of stable, but only sort of, because getting BSODs any time from none and up to +10 times a day, really not satisfying!

Later on I also found that the RAM has been removed from the compability-list, no wonder!

In need for more memory, I wanted to expand to 8Gb, but not with these RAM as base. So are looking for alternatives.

I see in other threads that people recommend: "TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX", but all I can find in my country are: "TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX G", so my question is what is the difference?

If compatible, is it possible to use two kits of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX G for a total of 8Gb on my board (P5Q3)?

Overclocking is not really the issue for me, simply want a stable system would even settle for 1333MHz RAM, is there a good not too pricy alternative for me here? (same conditions as above, 4 sticks for a total of 8Gb).

Hope for some good advice from the RAM-GUY him-self, because have really tried everything in my power to make this work (bios updates, formats, ramtest, bios-tweaks, underclock, you name it).

Thank you for your quick response.

Didn't know that Asus had a non-deluxe version of the P5Q3, but mine is the Deluxe/Wifi AP edition, does that make any difference?

If buying the 1333 parts you're listing, I should have no problems getting stability at stock speed with 8Gb? (1333, 9-9-9-24, 1,6v?)

EDIT:

Furthermore, what was the difference from the G and non-G parts of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX?

• Corsair Employee
With 4 modules I would suggest setting the memory frequency at DDR1066 or DDR1333 the next lower speed grade down from what you purchase and set the memory Voltage to 1.7-1.90 Volts and set the NB/MCH/SPP Voltage to +.2 Volts as well and test the system with http://www.memtest.org. In addition, with some MB's (Mostly ASUS) you have to disable legacy USB in the bios when running any memory test.

• Corsair Employee
If buying the 1333 parts you're listing, I should have no problems getting stability at stock speed with 8Gb? (1333, 9-9-9-24, 1,6v?)

Also, this will depend on your individual motherboard as it is dependent upon the memory controller. Theoretically, if you bought 10 boards, 5 would and 5 won't. That's why I suggested 1333 OR 1066 if 1333 is not stable.

Thank you for your respond, both of you.

So worse case scenario of buying 2 packs, is that I have to run them 1066 instead of the rated 1333.

But this leaves me at somewhat a crossroad either I put my money on performance and get one kit of TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHX G (which I suppose is good to go on the P5Q3 Deluxe) or get two sets of TW3X4G1333C9DHX at the same price.

Sort of figured, but two of those kits is a bit to pricey for me.

Main goal is stability and actually using my CPU at stock settings (underclocking a bit now).

But from what you're saying it's all about luck when running 2 kits.

Thinking of only buying one kit now, because it sounds like a lot of hazzle to gain stability when filling all four banks.

EDIT:

How about the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN are they compatible with the P5Q3 Deluxe?

• Corsair Employee

Yes, they are compatible and the IN means that you will be able to use the Intel XMP memory profile if you use a single kit. XMP won't work with both kits.

Really, your memory needs will dictate the decision here. If you NEED 8GB of memory, you may be forced to compromise a bit of speed. However, if you don't actually NEED 8GB, the 1600C7DHXIN is a great choice as is the 1600C7DHX which is the same kit without the XMP profile.

Thank you very much for your advice, I have decided to stick with 4GB and ordered the TWIN3X4096-1600C7DHXIN in hope getting a more stable machine.

If succeeding in doing so, I will try to sell the 1600C9DHX I have at hand.

Thank you very much for your time and advice.

Archived