Corsair Community

HX1000i X99 rampage v power errors

smokeintheeye

Hello all hope someone can help me out. i have an i7 5820k a rampage v with a HX1000i. but over the last 4 to 5 weeks im getting a lot of kernel-power 41 (63) errors. i just wanted to know if this is something to do with the OCP setting in the link software? at the min the OCP setting is set to on. will this be whats making the pc shut down bye its self? i did have a good overclock at 4.6ghz with XMP on at 2400. but after getting this error i have set everything in the bios back to stock. but i still get the error every now and then. all my ram passes with no errors when testing. but some times its like harf the PSU shuts down. i made a post on the asus rog forum http://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?84085-kernel-power-41-(63)-windows-10-help-please-!!!!! just with it been a power error i want to work out if its the psu that needs to go back.

if someone can let me know how the OCP setting work that will be fab. and what the profiles do in the link pro,bal,qui?

my XTU setting are on here http://hwbot.org/user/smokeintheeye/

was just reading this – How many Amps does the OCP default to on the AXi series. I heard it is different for each PSU?

By default, 40A. This is configurable.

– I was told that Intel Haswell-E processors are using up to 47A when overclocked to 4.4GHz and that it exceeds the OCP on some PSUs. Some motherboard makers are telling us to stay away from certain PSU’s. What are your thoughts on this?

When you have a PSU with multiple +12V rails, OCP can easily trip if the CPU is overclocked and running over load. This is why Corsair PSUs with Link Digital allow the user to disable OCP and why all other Corsair PSUs feature a single +12V rail.

– ASUS designed the VR circuit on their X99 platform with 60A components. Corsair came out with the AXi series in 2012 with an adjustable OCP that was off by default. Was Corsair foreseeing a situation in the future where end users could customize the OCP setting depending on what motherboard they were using?

Initially, Corsair was simply following our existing trend of providing power supplies with a single +12V rail. Since OCP is most beneficial during the initial build stage of putting together a PC, it made sense for the PSU to have the OCP on by default and therefore we decided to make the change.

from this post http://www.legitreviews.com/intel-x99-motherboard-goes-up-in-smoke-for-reasons-unknown_150008

so am i right in turning the OCP off on this PSU with an X99 chip set?

IDK what is the exact load your CPU is using when overclocked, but it is possible that could cause issues. But then you said you later set everything to stock and you are still having issues, so it seems unlikely that high load is causing this. Still, you could try to disable OCP to see if you have the same issue, nothing wrong would happen by disabling it, it is just like an extra protection layer to avoid short circuit, in the rare case short circuit protection fails to work.

Archived