Corsair Community

I keep gettting memory dumps--TWIN 512 XMS3200 DDR400

adamjn

I can only get windows to install most of the time if my timing settings are 3.0, 4, 4, 8, 8. I keep my voltage at 2.75, but that did seem as critical. Otherwise I get memory dumps consistantly throught out the installation process. Once windows is installed I get memory dumps withing the first 10 minutes of booting up consistanly. I ran memtest and recieved an error with both sticks installed on test 11, but every test after that proved to be fine(single and dual). I am really frustrated and would appreciate any help you could give me. System Specs: Intel P4 3.0 Asus P4c800 Deluxe Corsair Twin 512 XMS3200 DDR400 RAM ATI ALL IN WONDER 9800 pro graphics Soundblaster Audugy2 platinum sound 40 gig Western Digital HDD 200 gig Maxtor HDD 500 watt PowerMAX power supply (I think this might also prove to be a problem)

• Corsair Employee
There are a few settings that we can change to try to improve stability on this board. The first being the "USB legacy Support" changed to Disable. The other would be making sure that the Performance Mode is set to Standard. Since I do not know whether you have the LL or C2 version of the 3200 I would suggest setting the "Set by SPD" to Enabled. With those options set and the DIMM Voltage at 2.7X you should be able to pass [URL=http://www.memtest86.com]Memtest86[/URL] with no errors. Let me know if you continue to have errors with our memory. Thanks! Ram Guy

I didn't mention it in my initial post, but USB Legacy Support was turned off and my ram type is 3200C2. When I set my performance mode to standard I get a bad BIOS checksum at boot up and it just keeps searching my drives. MemTest was not an issue though. I only got an error once. Every other time has been fine. I tried reinstalling windows under you suggesions and it gave me a memory dump blue screen in the middle of installation. If I mess with the timing I can get it to install, but my system still won't run stable. :(:

• Corsair Employee
If you have a 800 FSB CPU I would try and set the timings to Cass 2.5-3-3-7 and set the Dim Voltage to 2.7 Volts and then please run [url]www.memtest86.com[/url] on them. If you have a 533 FSB 3.0 Ghz you would need to run the memory at DDR333 Ram Guy

I tried the 800 FSB settings for the ram, but got the same memory dump within seconds of windows trying to install again, but when I ran memtest it showed that both sticks passed all 11 tests without any errors. When I manually enter the ram timing setting there is a fifth number for burst, should that stay at the default of 8 or should I change that as well. I also ran memtest with the test all setting as opposed to SPD. I don't know if that makes a difference.

• Corsair Employee
The burst length should be left to its default setting. If your memory is able to pass the extended test of memtest86 it would point to some other problem with the system. I have no problem replacing your memory. If you continue to have problems please send us an email with a copy of the [URL=http://www.corsairmemory.com/main/rma_request.xls]FORM[/URL] and or all of your info name address and phone# and the Module part# and copy the link to this post and email it to [email]rma@corsairmemory.com[/email] . If after 1 day or 24 hours excluding weekends you do not get the rma please email the same to [email]warranty@corsairmemory.com[/email] and we will help to resolve it. Thank You! Ram Guy

I empathize with you. I have the exact same problem with the P4C800-E Deluxe motherboard with the TWINX1024 3200LLPT memory. My system started out about 6 weeks ago spontaneously rebooting once in a week. It has degraded to the point where it will not stay up for more than a few minutes. It does however run the memtst flawlessly for 5-6 days straight. I am starting to believe it is the power supply. I am guessing that, the video card and Windows draws more power when it is in high-res graphics mode than when in DOS VGA mode which is what memtst runs in. I will swap out the PS tonight and see....

I had talked to Asus support and they recommended (before swapping out the power supply) to disable hyperthreading. I rebuilt the system as per the above instructions (with respect to driver installation) with hyperthreading disabled. The system is solid as a rock. I then enabled hyperthreading and the system crashed within minutes. I went back and forth on enabling and disabling the hyperthreading and the system followed suit. I have been running it all night with burnin twsts and it is rock solid. Twice when it crashed with hyperthreading enable, it actually generated a blue screen which pointed to the fastxxxx driver for the Promise RAID controller. Any ideas on what this means? Is it a BAD CPU, motherboard, memory, ...

• 4 weeks later...
sorry for the late reply, I bought a 480 watt antec trueblue and still have the same results. I even went through the trouble of sending back the motherboard to asus for a more thorough overnight test. It came back without any errors. I guess I will try disabling hyperthreading, but if that doesn't work I am just just going to send in the ram.

My system had deteriorated over about a month where it would reboot within minutes of starting up in windows with hyperthreading on but would be stable with hyperthreading off. It turned out to be the CPU. I contacted Intel and they had me read off the # on the face of the CPU. They then gave me a RMA. It only took 3 days between the time I sent them the CPU and they sent me a new one. It fixed the problem..

Archived