Corsair Community

memtest86 errors only with XMP enabled

Krizzle

Memory: Vengeance LPX 3200 2x8GB kit

CPU: Ryzen 3600

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x570-i Pro Wifi

XMP disabled: system runs okay (though didn't test for extended time), memtest86 gives no errors, but obviously low performance in gaming.

XMP enabled: BSOD soon after logging into Windows 100% of the time (within the first minute), memtest86 stops because there are too many errors (10k+).

After disabling XMP again: Windows has gotten so unstable that I keep getting BSOD's (multiple tests always result in this issue). At which point I have to completely format the drive and reinstall Windows.

I read that you can manually fill in the timings in the BIOS, I have tried but honestly I'm too stupid for it. Isn't XMP supposed to fix this and pretty much work out of the box? If XMP doesn't work, can I assume something is wrong with these sticks and ask for a replacement?

Memory: Vengeance LPX 3200 2x8GB kit

CPU: Ryzen 3600

Motherboard: Gigabyte Aorus x570-i Pro Wifi

XMP disabled: system runs okay (though didn't test for extended time), memtest86 gives no errors, but obviously low performance in gaming.

XMP enabled: BSOD soon after logging into Windows 100% of the time (within the first minute), memtest86 stops because there are too many errors (10k+).

After disabling XMP again: Windows has gotten so unstable that I keep getting BSOD's (multiple tests always result in this issue). At which point I have to completely format the drive and reinstall Windows.

I read that you can manually fill in the timings in the BIOS, I have tried but honestly I'm too stupid for it. Isn't XMP supposed to fix this and pretty much work out of the box? If XMP doesn't work, can I assume something is wrong with these sticks and ask for a replacement?

JEDEC speeds are supposed to work out of the box. Unfortunately XMP doesn't always work out of the box and the solution is typically to manually enter voltage, frequency, and timings.

Try this simplified procedure...

1) Make sure your ram is installed in the primary channel on slots A2 & B2.

2) For simplicity you can just use the "reset to bios defaults" option in your BIOS/UEFI. (it may be worded a bit differently depending on your motherboard) then save and reboot. This should clear any custom settings you may have set including removing any CPU overclock and XMP settings.

3) (if not covered by step 2) Verify and/or reset all your ram specific settings to AUTO, save and reboot.

4) Do not set XMP mode but instead manually set your DRAM voltage to what your XMP settings required (typically 1.35v is common) (Make sure you are setting your DRAM voltage not CPU voltage.) save and reboot. The voltage requirement should be printed on the back of your ram next to the model and version number if I remember correctly.

5) Starting at DDR4-2133 manually step up your frequency one step at a time, save, reboot, and memtest at each step until you reach DDR4-3200. If you are impatient you can probably start at DDR4-3200 and test just see if that works first as it would save you some time. (your hardware is supposed to be capable of this)

Edited by A Computer Guy

• 2 months later...

In my opinion, there is nothing "wrong". XMP is not guaranteed on any specific configuration unless the memory is on the motherboard QVL at the speed you want. XMP is an overclock, and just like every overclock, "your results will vary". You could have tried a little more RAM voltage, to see if it was stable. But your particular set of parts may not be stable at 3200.

Kodi nox

Edited by clarc