Corsair Community

H115i Pro XT and H100i Plat. pump rattle

doblez

Hi,

I've seen multiple threads about pump rattling with the new CoolIT pumps in Corsair's newest lineup of AIOs. I'll put a link to the noise at the bottom.

I've now gone through several of the coolers to see if I could find a unit without this problem: three H100i Plat and now an H115i Pro XT RMA'ing the, what I thought was defective, unit each time. Does anyone have a solution to the rattle? The noise disappears on quiet and balanced if I put my case horizontally or in extreme mode both horizontally and vertically and I don't want it to run in extreme mode constantly.

Is this just a flaw with the design because it seems like 4 defective units defines a trend...

In advance thanks for your help

Link to Noise

The noise disappears on quiet and balanced if I put my case horizontally or in extreme mode both horizontally and vertically and I don't want it to run in extreme mode constantly.

Generally if the noise changes when you re-position the case, the source is air bubbles and not a defect in the motor. The motor doesn't care what position it is in and if were mechanical based the fastest Extreme speed would be worst of all. Air bubbles are not automatic, but can be created when glycol based fluids are shaken. It can happen on install. It can happen in the delivery truck before you ever get it. However, most of the time it plays out on its own in the first few hours or perhaps a day or two. Unfortunately, sometimes it is stubborn or you have a large collection of bubbles in the wrong spot.

The best advice I can give is to tilt the case so the in/out tubes are higher than the block/pump. For most people that will be lifting the front with some lean toward the back. This is not a hold it for 6 hours kind of thing. It should release in a matter of seconds, if you can get the angle right. That can be hard to see on a closed cover block. You might also set the pump to Extreme before the attempt to create the most head pressure possible to push the bubbles out the block. Unfortunately, it is a fiddly kind of thing and your sound clip is plenty irritating. However, this should not be a permanent state.

I have the h115i plat and mine is silent. I mean I did not check it with my glass panel off but I can not hear it at all on any setting, the pump that is. I have a Crystal 570x case with the unit mounted in the front with the tubes on top of the rad. Edited by jamie1073

Generally if the noise changes when you re-position the case, the source is air bubbles and not a defect in the motor. The motor doesn't care what position it is in and if were mechanical based the fastest Extreme speed would be worst of all. Air bubbles are not automatic, but can be created when glycol based fluids are shaken. It can happen on install. It can happen in the delivery truck before you ever get it. However, most of the time it plays out on its own in the first few hours or perhaps a day or two. Unfortunately, sometimes it is stubborn or you have a large collection of bubbles in the wrong spot.

The best advice I can give is to tilt the case so the in/out tubes are higher than the block/pump. For most people that will be lifting the front with some lean toward the back. This is not a hold it for 6 hours kind of thing. It should release in a matter of seconds, if you can get the angle right. That can be hard to see on a closed cover block. You might also set the pump to Extreme before the attempt to create the most head pressure possible to push the bubbles out the block. Unfortunately, it is a fiddly kind of thing and your sound clip is plenty irritating. However, this should not be a permanent state.

That's what I would've figured, but when I tilt the case a certain way, the sound disappears on quite, but then when I tilt the case back to the upright position it reappears as if nothing's happened.

Best guess is the bubble is moving to the top of the pump cap as your rock (or otherwise out of the mechanicals), but it is not escaping out the out tube like you want. You may need to rock backwards (I/O rear fan side) to get the outlet tube above the rest of the pump. If you have a massive 1000D like case, this is likely impossible and you have to try to do the same thing with the cooler removed. Normally that means using the 24 pin jumper for power to SATA after removing the cooler so you can manipulate more easily.

I'm having the same issue. My H100i Pro XT pump has loud rattling in quiet mode which would otherwise be a perfectly quiet setup (tilting it hasn't helped). I've had these same issues with my previous (other brand) AIOs which were fixed with being able to have custom speed on the pump. In one instance I only had to add about 8% more speed to the pump which made it from a rattling nightmare to almost perfectly quiet AIO.

I would really appreciate to have a custom pump speed in iCUE. I have no rattling in Balanced and Extreme modes but they have a distracting humming/whirring noise.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi guys,

I am having the exact same issue. I am onto my second H115i RGB platinum both with this issue.

I have now even tried running the AIO externally off the socket to try and get rid of the bubbles but no matter where I move, shake or tap the horrible ticking sound still occurs.

I think it must be an issue with the new CoolIT designed pumps.

@doblez did you manage to get a unit that works?