Corsair Community

keys "sticking"

enbeekay

Is it normal for keys to sometimes get "stuck"?

I don't mean physically stuck but for instance, if you're playing a game and you hold shift to walk and let go, the key position resets but you start talking in CAPS...

Or you're holding move right, left the key go and you're still moving right...

It doesnt happen often, maybe once or twice a night but it's very noticeable when it does...especially when it ends up being ctrl after crouching and you end up using keyboard shortcuts you dont want to :p

Well I think I've only noticed it during game and there's only one I regularly play at the moment so I don't know if it happens in others, it's happened through several OS reinstalls though so I can happily rule that out...

But for desktop use I'm not holding multiple keys down for prolonged periods (like 3+ at times) so I don't know...

Somebody has suggested it could be to do with rollover and the keyboards memory when you press too many keys down but shrug

Ok so i've been googling around a lot today and apparently the USB2 controller on the old P55 chipset motherboard I'm using was pretty bad and the polling rate is all over the place...I've never really had an issue with mice etc but could that be causing the phantom "stuck key" issue? It'd be odd if it is...

What keyboard do you have because the newer ones are defaulted to 1K polling rate.

K70 Cherry Red/Red backlight original version bought some time in 2014 ::pirate:: (which was to replace an awful ducky black switch that had chatter and not registering issues)

Right so I've tried this on another USB controller now and it still intermittently does it on direction of movement keys or sometimes ctrl and shift...so ehhh

I don't know, it's not a HUGE issue but it is annoying and makes me wonder about the longevity of this keyboard especially if the key shouldnt stay actuated

*edit*

I've run EK switch hitter testing tool with settings from 8ms to 2000ms and there's absolutely no chatter so the keyboard is good on that front. so definitely no idea on the key "sticking" issue that intermittently happens, when i try to make it happen it doesnt...just sometimes shift doesnt respond till i press both sides a few times or shift gets stuck on or i end up moving sideways on its own till i tap that direction key again...it it's definitely a few times a night

*edit 2*

Right so i was messing with EK switch hitter again and...

when i'm tapping keys such as directional movement keys in a game or shift in quick succession as i might in a game i do get some chatter on the keys i've been having issue with, i've tested at 30ms, 20ms and 10ms and on all 3 I get chatter...and also some weirdness where the key releases, presses and gets released again as i'm lifting off...which is odd. also at times the actuation point seems very high. that's something i tend not to notice much though

So yeah, chatter is definitely there but I don't notice it at all when I'm typing and I don't know if that would cause the "stuck key" issue i've been having in game.

Archived