The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Enthusiasts Section > System Builds, Modding, Custom Components, and Picture Gallery

Notices

Old 01-14-2020, 06:22 AM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1031307
Salsiccia Reputation: 16

Thanks for the support guys - much appreciated.

I am very happy with the white interior too. My current dilemma is I've noticed it obviously shows every speck of dirt. This won't be an issue once its all assembled and sealed of course, but in this "construction zone" that I'm in now, I'm thinking I should probably give it a clear sealing coat. Easy enough to do now as nothing is screwed into the case yet. More food for thought !

I wasn't sure whether the teardown would be worth it, but now I see it nearly done I'm very happy with it.

I've measured the cable runs and ordered my cable kit from Cablemod. (Shout out to their support team too - my new ASUS mobo had a Cablemod discount voucher in it which didn't work when I keyed it in at checkout, but their support team were right onto it and got it sorted for me over a weekend - thanks Joe!) Not sure how long that will take to get here, could be 3 or 4 weeks as they are now in their yearly housekeeping slow period - although my order did apparently land in time not to be affected - time will tell.

Now trying to source the Ryzen 3950X CPU that I want. My usual supplier of all things PC is now OOS of them indefinitely so I'm scrounging around. Found a couple of other retailers here in Aus who claim they have some in stock. Will try one out tomorrow.

Had a scare a few days ago - my daily drive PC is now on its last legs. Suddenly all 4 USB3 ports on the rear are busted. Started looking at a quick mobo swap on that just to get me through the few weeks I reckon I have left on this new build, but its an X79 / DDR3 board and trying to get them these days is not fun. Have also lost access to my work area at home where I had the new beast set up (the Mrs wanted the real estate in the back room back !!) so now have to find somewhere new to set up a build area. I have a big house and there's only 2 of us here so you'd think there'd be plenty of room, but apparently - No. Anyway, that problem ain't gonna get solved here !!!

I take your point about the ML PRO fans too flash. I have 5 of them on my daily drive (with an AIO) and I love them - and can't hear them at all. Budget is getting tight now though so can always swap out to MLs down the track as I already have the LLs that came in the case plus some others I bought.

Old 01-16-2020, 10:26 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1031661

The latest care package arrived today - from the good folks at Cablemod !!
A little disappointed I didn't get the nice Cablemod box, but in the interests of keeping shipping costs down to an affordable level, I can understand why bubble wrap is the preferred outer !!

- Red cables are the 24-pin and dual EATX connectors.
- Green for the nVidia graphics card. With gold combs in a nod to the Australian sporting colours
- RGB cables for the SATA and Molex utility cabling for the Corsair lightshow and cooling devices. Yes these should be completely invisible in the end result behind behind the mobo tray, but I don't care - that's for my amusement !

And a couple of packs of anodized thumbscrews to tidy up some of the mounting points around the pump/res and other areas.

Due to a mess-up at my work, they've decided not to pay me for January so while that gets sorted out I have to pause the buying of the last few parts I need to complete this:
- CPU (Ryzen 3950X)
- PSU (may be able to swing a spare into play, but not sure yet)
- RAM
- M.2 drives

Luckily I still have all of the tube bending and fitting to do so that will keep me busy for a while.

Old 03-15-2020, 04:27 AM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1037854

Apologies for the lack of updates here recently, this project has been packed away in a box for the last few weeks due to me getting kicked out of my work room at home !

I've found a new workplace now so am about to pick this up again. Also, with our impending holiday on a cruise liner just cancelled to to this world Corona silliness I find myself with time to fill again !

I also decided, once I saw the White QL fans announced, that these would sit very nicely in my white-interior 500D case, so I've just ordered a pack of 3 of those.

This will make the internal plumbing even tighter now as I was only planning fans on the outside of my front 360, now I want push pull, with the QLs on the interior as well.

It will be worth it.
I know it will.
I just have to keep saying that enough times and eventually I will believe it !

Old 03-24-2020, 10:09 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1038750

Sooooo, this COVID nonsense is really slowing things down !

Turns out I went too early in ordering the pack of 3 white QL fans - they have evaporated in Australia. So I've turned that order into 3 white LL fans and I'll go with them for now. I can upgrade to QL down the track. Still waiting on delivery of that fan pack though - things have really slowed down here. Good thing I'm not in a hurry !

Have also just rechecked wiring for the internals and discovered I need a fan hub now. Adding in 3 more fans has pushed me past the capabilities of the single CoPro. I now have 9 fans to manage and conventional wisdom suggests no more than 8 per CoPro so I have ordered a fan hub. I really don't want to mess with fan splitters anyway, I'd rather have a separately powered device and know I have headroom.

Cause and effect - that fan hub of course needs SATA power so I now don't have enough SATA doo-hickeys on the cables I ordered from Cablemod weeks ago. I can re-order new SATA cables from Cablemod or just stick with the plain ones that will come when I order my new PSU. Since these cables will all be totally invisible behind the mobo I'm tempted to just go with a plain one from the PSU pack. Mind you I still haven't done a test cable run using the main cables so when I do that I may find an error that needs correcting. If so and that necessitates another order, then I can add the new SATA port into that.

By the time this all finishes the next gen Ryzen CPU will be out - lol !!!!

Old 03-27-2020, 07:16 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039033

Woke up this morning to the realisation that the white LL fans are NOT an appropriate substitute for the QLs I originally wanted. I've remembered that the light show on the LL series is only visible on the intake side, and I have them mounted as Pull on the inside of the rad, thus with the exhaust side facing inside the case and the front light show side buried hard up against the rad.

Now I'm back to either QLs (and an uncertain delivery timeframe) or see if I can find some MLs in White (and an uncertain existence!)

First world problems :-)

Old 03-29-2020, 12:52 AM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039150

So with purchasing in a bit of a lull at the moment as I scour the planet for some White QL fans, I'm turning my attention to the significant tube bending task I have ahead of me that I have been avoiding for ages.

I found this nice little tube bending jig online today, but seems its not actually available to buy anymore.

So I've decided to make my own, in a far more amateurish fashion. My thinking is to knock up a very simple piece of wood with a couple of appropriate width "channels" on it that are at a very close to perfect 90 degree angle. Hopefully this will help me get some consistency around my bends. My guess is that the majority that I will want are going to be 90 degrees. Any variances from that I can deal with at the end.

This will help me fill in the time while I source QL fans. I have also realised that once I have built this thing, "simply swapping" the 3 front fans from LL to QL will be anything but "simple". I will have to drain and disassemble the majority of my loop to do that so I am going to wait until I've sourced the QLs from somewhere.

Last edited by Salsiccia; 03-29-2020 at 12:53 AM. Reason: Fix typos

Old 03-29-2020, 03:48 AM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039161

Excitement :-)

Just sourced a couple of radiators that I think will suit better than what I currently have.

Slim profile (30mm) and White.

The slim profile will help me with what is going to be a very tight build and the white is going to sit much better inside the case.

Obviously there will be a slight cooling hit going with a slimmer rad, but I am pretty sure I have capacity to cover that and the small space I will get should more than make up for it.

I hope !

Old 03-29-2020, 06:03 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039245

OK, So my current Corsair rads are also 30mm thick so I'm not gaining any room with the new ones I found, but I am gaining White :-)

Old 03-31-2020, 06:13 PM
Salsiccia's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1039508

Fun fact:

Visited the hardware store a couple of days ago to pick up the bits to make my tube bending jig, and now due to the Corona silliness, we have to queue to get in !!!!

[IMG][/IMG]