Corsair Community

Amd Ryzen C14 vs C16

tvdz

Hello everyone,

I am new here. A month ago I upgraded my old pc to the 1700x. I replaced all the components beside the ssd, hhd, power and gpu. These are the specs:

Amd 1700x

Asus prime x370 pro

corsair vengeance lpx 2x16 gig CMK32GX4M2A2400C14

msi gtx 970

650 w power coolermaster

I use my pc for productivity work like 3d rendering, premiere, afx, etc. The pc was rebuild by an company. At first I already had issues with stability. When doing normal tasks there was not a problem. Even running cpu tests like aida64 it was very stable. But when I began to render in afx, I began to have bsod. In the errors I had the understanding that it could have been the memory. I did memtest and everything was good. Then because of another person on the internet suggested to lower the clock speed of the memory. So I did. It is now 1866. That fixed the problem. After working for a month everything was smooth.

Last week I got a bsod again. I did a memtest again and on test 7 there were 56 errors. Then I thought this is not good. So I looked on this forum and then I saw the compatibility thread. I saw that only the C16 series are compatible. But on the asus site there is also the C14 in the qvl list.

So my question is, is the C14 versions of corsair memory compatible with the ryzen cpus?

I hope someone can help me with this.

There are two ways to look at the compatibility issue. Asus will tell you it is only compatible if they bothered to test it and often use this in an exclusionary way. Your kit is not on their list. In reality, if you booted up, it's compatible. The modules work or they don't when you put them in. It seems more likely you need to tweak your settings, just like everyone else.

You might be able to pin point the BSOD origin with the code on crash, but that is certainly not an exact science. 3D rendering, etc. can be more difficult than a AIDA64 blend test as some of your programs may use x264 or similar instructions that make things harder. You didn't mention what clocks and voltage you are running, but a bump in Vcore would be the likely place to start.

I don't see any reason to lower the clock speed down to 1866, below the JEDEC 2133. If it won't run 2133, something is wrong. You should not need to underclock the memory for it to run stable. C12 vs 14 vs 16 is just one of the memory timings and that value does not determine compatibility, just stability. It is changeable, just like anything else. Before you get up to your neck in timings, I would suggest a small bump in DRAM voltage. Those timings are not aggressive for 2400, but the XMP value is 1.20. In a stressful environment or on an immature BIOS, that might not be enough. Down at that level DRAM temperatures are insignificant, so there is very little cost to increasing the voltage here. Try 1.25v or even 1.30v. It will make little difference in terms of temperature.

Frankly, there seem to be a lot of issues with Ryzen and DRAM stability. In fairness, it is a new platform and there are things to be addressed. I was ready to pull my hair out in the early days of X99 as well. I don't have any AMD stuff and don't follow the Ryzen specific issues, but with 32gb I suspect this is a combination of immature BIOS and some basic settings that may be able to overcome it. Bump the DRAM voltage first while at your XMP 2400 values. After that I would take a look at System agent voltage and VCCIO voltages before tweaking the primary timings. It seems more likely the volume/density of memory is the issue, not the timings.

Archived