The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-14-2017, 02:50 PM
Breimeister's PC Specs

POST ID # = 899332
Breimeister Reputation: 10

The only time I have seen the bios shut down my system due to surge protection is when I ran the latest version of Corsair Link. I think Corsair Link is doing something to cause the Asus surge protection to shut down my system. I have disabled the surge protection in the bios and now Corsair Link is running properly and shows all my Corsair devices.

I think/hope my AX860i is running properly.

After a few times of running okay the system suddenly shut down. After restarting it shut down almost immediately after I start up Corsair Link. The event viewer is not helpful and just tells me the system shut down unexpectedly. I have removed the usb connection from the AX860i to the H100i and enabled the bios surge protection. At least the Corsair Link software seems to run fine with the power supply usb cable not connected.

Last edited by Breimeister; 04-14-2017 at 07:00 PM. Reason: The problem was not resolved.

Old 04-24-2017, 01:32 PM
Theri's PC Specs

POST ID # = 900545
Theri Reputation: 10

***UPDATE***

So after many weeks/months (I lost tack of time) I finally got the store I bought the PSU to swap it for a new one. I just installed it and have not encountered any shutdown yet (here's for hoping!).

I will keep this thread updated for further information regarding if it worked or not.

Old 05-17-2017, 01:46 PM
Breimeister's PC Specs

POST ID # = 903593

I just installed the latest CorsairLink software, connected the AX860i via the dongle that came with it. A second or two after I start up CorsairLink the system shuts down and reboots. This time I looked at the CorsairLink debug log and it does look like my AX860i is putting out some strange numbers. I started a ticket and provided them with that log. Maybe their techs can tell if the problem is with my AX860i or the CorsairLink software.

Old 05-26-2017, 02:46 PM
slipps666's PC Specs

POST ID # = 905739
slipps666 Reputation: 10

just an update the anti surge protection makes no difference started getting the boot loops again

Old 05-27-2017, 11:35 AM
kcodyjr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 905863
kcodyjr Reputation: 10

I really want an RCA on this. I just bought an AX860i, haven't even received it yet, and now I'm seeing more serious talk about these issues on the forum, as opposed to the mindless complaining on Amazon.

I'm planning to use mine in a serverish role, not a gaming rig. Actually, formally it's a workstation, but it's being used to develop server software, hence I went for a server-class board, and a heavily monitorable power supply and cooling system, and optimized for multi-threaded performance, et cetera.

If this thing is going to be flaky, it was already a bad decision.

I don't mind going through some debug cycles, I'll even open it up and put a JTAG cable or whatever on it from a laptop so I can get captures as it goes down, but I will most certainly need Corsair's active and wholehearted support for such an effort.

Old 05-31-2017, 10:26 AM
Breimeister's PC Specs

POST ID # = 906321

I think you are getting ahead of yourself. Odds are when you install the AX860i you will be happy with it. When I installed it in 2013 on my desktop it worked great along with the Corsair Link software. The only problem I had was that Corsair Link software did not work with the Asus monitoring software that came with my motherboard, so I did not use the Corsair Link software.

Now I am running the latest version of Windows 10 Pro and the Asus monitoring software is not available for my motherboard with this operating system so I went back to Corsair Link. Corsair Link shut down my system when I connected the USB plug from the power supply. I opened a ticket and Corsair was very fast in helping me try to track down the problem. They think it is the power supply and they provided an RMA. They received my power supply Saturday and Monday was a holiday so I expect they will send me a replacement before the end of the week.

I was happy with the product and their warranty and service is great. They even offered an express replacement service which I did not need. Of course it is always hard replacing a power supply and I will need to do it twice but I built my own system so it is just a matter of doing it.

The only thing I would have liked to see is the power supply self test button available on the outside of the case. After I pulled out the power supply the self test button did not turn green.

Old 06-01-2017, 02:19 PM
kcodyjr's PC Specs

POST ID # = 906429
kcodyjr Reputation: 10

That's a consumer's perspective - it ain't broke until it's broke - and there's nothing wrong with it.

I'm a software engineer and I.T. veteran. I don't like hoping problems don't manifest.

Old 06-10-2017, 08:13 PM
Breimeister's PC Specs

POST ID # = 907493

Just like to follow up that when I got the AX860i replacement, the self-test button produced a green light. I connected the AX860i and everything booted up perfectly. I started up the Corsair Link software and it found all my devices and did not shut down my system.

I am still wondering why Corsair Link found a problem with my power supply when I did not have any problem running my operating system. All I can think of is that I am not using all of the features/plugs/rails available on the AX860i.

I see Corsair Link allows me to configure the AX860i... time to read the manual again.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Trillock's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909068
Trillock Reputation: 10

Just to chime in....
I built my PC last April:
Phanteks Primo case.
Corsair AX860i PSU
Intel i7 6700K (stock) - BIOS now F21
Gigabyte Z170X Gaming G1.
Corsair LPX Vengeance 2 X 8GB modules.
EVGA GTX980Ti.
Samsung 950 M.2 Nvme 256GB X 2 modules.
Intel 750 400GB Nvme SSD
Samsung 850 250GB SSD
Plus a couple of WD HDD's for various things...

Now, the PSU went into the boot loop sequence after a couple of months, so removed it and installed my old HX620 and it ran just fine.
Then replaced that with a new RM550X and the PC again ran with no bother.

I RMA'd it back to Scan Computers, and received a new replacement about a month later.
Installed that, and it ran OK for a few months before the boot loop kicked in. So had to put the RM550X back in, and all was fine again.

This time I contacted jonnyGuru in his forum, and he arranged for another RMA back so that he could try to find out what was wrong.
Initially they found no problems, until the got the exact same motherboard as mine, and then it played up.

I received my 3rd replacement PSU a couple of months ago, and yesterday it booted to the desktop, froze, and had to shut down the PC using the power button, and then when it tried to reboot, I switched off the PSU.
Back in went the RM550X........again.

So far I have got through 3 PSU's, and a bit pointless in doing another RMA because I expect the 4th one would then get grumpy after a couple of months or so....

I like Corsair PSU's and in my 'old' 2009 PC I did have the initial HX1000 pack up after a couple of years, and got a HX1050 as a replacement, which is still going fine since then, and handy to use for the internet should I have any problems with this 'new' one.

I guess I will have to live with the RM550X (hopefully for quite some time) but may replace that with a slightly higher wattage PSU later on, as I prefer to have two separate power cables for my 980Ti rather than the one which is split into 2 x 6+2 connectors.

It seems that this PSU does not like Gigabyte motherboards, or especially mine in particular.

Old 06-22-2017, 11:09 AM

POST ID # = 909073
coolkwc Reputation: 10

Trust me, this AX860i is just a joke. I'm on my 3rd unit now after double RMA since bought on year 2014. 1st and 2nd unit had the exact same problem like what mentioned here. I will hope for miracle for this 3rd unit. 3 months now since RMA.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 06-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Trillock's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909082

Yep, my 3rd one failed, and I am not going to RMA for a fourth...

Old 06-27-2017, 01:43 AM

POST ID # = 909590
coolkwc Reputation: 10

There is no point they gave 7 years warranty. Consumer will auto give up after numerous RMA. Good work Corsair.

Old 06-27-2017, 06:24 AM
Trillock's PC Specs

POST ID # = 909603

Corsair great service as usual have offered me an HX850i as a replacement RMA PSU.
I have accepted and can't complain about that !
Although it is a cheaper model, I don't care about that, and hoping that this model by a different manufacturer will play nicely with my Gigabyte motherboard.

Great stuff Corsair.

Old 07-22-2017, 10:10 AM
Trillock's PC Specs

POST ID # = 912883

Update, the replacement HX850i PSU arrived yesterday, so out goes the RM550X (back into storage) and installed the new one.
All is fine so far....

However, one question:
With the cables is the USB cable to connect to the USB port on the PSU and then into a USB2 port on the motherboard for the Link software to monitor.

But, there is another slim cable where one end would connect to the digital port on the PSU, but I cannot find where the very small connector on the other end is fitted to ?
Would it be used to connect to the USB Dongle as supplied with the AX860i, which I don't have, and would (if I wanted to) I have to buy this separately to use this cable ?
Not sure why this cable is supplied if I don't have anything to plug it in to....

Unless I am missing something....

Old 07-22-2017, 10:27 AM
Banned
red-ray's PC Specs

POST ID # = 912886
red-ray Reputation: 81
Arrow It's used to connect the PSU to a CLCC

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trillock View Post
But, there is another slim cable where one end would connect to the digital port on the PSU, but I cannot find where the very small connector on the other end is fitted to ?
If you have a CLCC you can use this to connect the PSU to one of the C-Link ports.

You should only use one of the connectors, never both.

The cable would fit into a USB Dongle, but there is no point in doing this as the PSU has a USB port and I further suspect it would not work as the AXi control protocol is different to the HXi/RMi protocol.

1 members found this post helpful.