The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 02-08-2014, 08:09 PM
raglafart's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696396
raglafart Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
Then you should have also read how many PSU's they sell. You are going to have some failures here and there. Also please keep in mind this is a support forum. All your going to see here are complaints of failures of every type and time frame. I know that sounds like the fan boy response, but it's the truth. Multiply that by 12 months and thats a hell of a lot of power supplies! But i completely understand where your coming from though. Somehow it just kind of burns when it happens to you. I know...thats what brought me here to these forums 3 years ago.

99% of the timme they will ship you a brand new unit, but still have the right to use refurnished if they have to. You should be fine with a new unit.,

In the rare event that yoiu would need another RMA, make sure you ask for a pre-paid label. They will cover shipping on second RMA's and products less than 30 days old.

LOL sorry for the typos...I'm trying to get used to a new KB. :)
Hi
I appreciate your thoughts and to a greater extent it's not so much the problem, but how the problem is fixed.
Here I'm pleased to say I'm now more confident. I used the Express RMA and I'm happy to say the replacement should be here according to the tracking note tomorrow afternoon. So in fairness, once having done the RMA my PC would only theoretically been down for 4-5 days and I think that is a very reasonable turnaround.

You also have to understand that as a customer when something goes wrong you are hardly likely to be overjoyed that you are one of the unlucky ones regardless of how many units are sold world wide or what the return percentages are.

I would note that if I'd found the forum here quicker it would have probably been much easier to find out how to go about the process of organising an RMA. This is the first time I've had to do it.

The manual in this case led me astray as it clearly states if you get a red light or no light on the self test to contact Corsair for help.
Well of course I tried contacting Corsair, now this is where Corsair let me down.
I didn't immediately do an RMA, I was told in the manual to ask for technical help!!!! I didn't know if there was some kind of re-set that could be done or if there was something I was going to be told that would get the PSU back up and running, so thought I'd have to wait until a technician told me to go the next step to the RMA
I lost 3-4 days waiting for a rely to my ticket that never came and still hasn't.
Yet as soon as I said enough is enough and did the RMA, it went through in hours!
That seems to me to be a problem with the on line assistance.
I even tried calling international, but to be told all technicians are currently unavailable, not unexpectedly I hung up.

The system (if my replacement arrives tomorrow) would seem to work, that's if you know how to use it.
Sadly It not made clear how to use it though and the promise of a 24 hour reply on the technical support side is certainly nothing short of out an out lie

These are my experiences, some of it good, once in the system proper. However, getting into the system has plenty of flaws at the Corsair end and promisses made that clearly aren't kept.

I'll probably feel a lot better about it once the replacement unit is here and the US $ 187 is back in my account.

Cheers John

Last edited by raglafart; 02-08-2014 at 08:15 PM.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:35 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696398
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by raglafart View Post
You also have to understand that as a customer when something goes wrong you are hardly likely to be overjoyed that you are one of the unlucky ones regardless of how many units are sold world wide or what the return percentages are.
your absolutely right as its the customer must bear the burden of the inconvenience
one reason ive stuck with corsair products is they understand this and have people that go beyond the call of duty to try and ease the hassle customers go thru,their quite dedicated and which is why their seen posting here all hours of the day and night.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:03 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696482
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
I understand. A faulty product is what brought me here to these forums three years ago. I wasn't exactly all that happy either. But on the other hand it's only after i found out my self how many products are actually sold that i started to look at things a bit different. I'm the sort of person that doesn't sweat things like that though. It's a manufactured item and they all have casualties. It just burns when it's you.

Quote:
The manual in this case led me astray as it clearly states if you get a red light or no light on the self test to contact Corsair for help.
Well of course I tried contacting Corsair, now this is where Corsair let me down.
I didn't immediately do an RMA, I was told in the manual to ask for technical help!!!! I didn't know if there was some kind of re-set that could be done or if there was something I was going to be told that would get the PSU back up and running, so thought I'd have to wait until a technician told me to go the next step to the RMA
I lost 3-4 days waiting for a rely to my ticket that never came and still hasn't.
Yet as soon as I said enough is enough and did the RMA, it went through in hours!
That seems to me to be a problem with the on line assistance.
I even tried calling international, but to be told all technicians are currently unavailable, not unexpectedly I hung up.
The self test can only be run without NO cables attached to the PSU. Otherwise you'll get a red light every time. Might want to double heck it if you had it still in your machine.

Last edited by peanutz94; 02-09-2014 at 03:05 PM.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:50 PM
raglafart's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696492
raglafart Reputation: 10

Quote:
The self test can only be run without NO cables attached to the PSU. Otherwise you'll get a red light every time. Might want to double heck it if you had it still in your machine.
I tested it with various power supply cables to eliminate even those and tested it out of my pc with none of the modular cabling attached, I wanted to check to see if there was any kind of reset button anywhere.
When it failed the self test in that state is when I raised the RMA

Cheers John

Old 02-20-2014, 08:13 PM
mintik's PC Specs

POST ID # = 698361
mintik Reputation: 10

Hello,

I recently bought a R9 280X DC2T graphics card from Asus and ever since I put the card in my system I'm experiencing stability issues.
The first 5 minutes ingame I started getting artifacts in Battlefield 4. I have read that the memory chips used in the card were not designed
to operate at higher clock speeds than 1500 Mhz with 1.5V. The default clock for the memory on this particular model was 1600 Mhz on 1.6V.
First I thought it was my video card but after half an hour playing on another map, I didn't get the artifacts anymore. Later on I did start getting them again.
After a while my PC would suddenly shut down with an error message "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit" and rebooted.
From then on this started to happen very frequently but totally random. Sometimes in idle state other times while gaming.
After the shutdown it can take up to 2 tries before the system successfully reboots. So I started troubleshooting in the following order:

1. Set memory clock speed of the graphics card on 1500 Mhz with MSI Afterburner (After I did this I got my first power surge, totally random so it seems afterwards..);
  2. Put off Anti-Surge protect via UEFI BIOS (I got several other pc shutdowns without the error message since I disabled the Anti-surge.);
  3. Put in my old Asus HD6950 graphics card (Same problems here);
  4. Unplugged everything from my AX860i PSU and did a self-test which was successful;
  5. Updated my motherboard BIOS to newest version (Getting desperate...);
  6. Put my power supply cable (6+2pin) into another PCI-E port of my PSU (Ran fine for an hour or 2 yesterday and today when I put my new graphics card back in,
    my pc shut down again after the first 5 minutes. At this very moment I'm typing this, there hasn't been a power surge for ~3 hours.)

My PC specs:
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
  • PSU: AX 860i
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (C2)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
  • CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9 LP
  • Graphics card: ASUS r9 280x DCII Top
  • HDD: WD Green 1TB
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB

As you can see, I already tried a few things but without any success for the moment. In a couple of days I will try to test my system with a different PSU from a friend
to see if it's my system or the PSU which is causing these problems. Note that every shutdown is random. It can happen every few minutes or every few hours. I will also add a logfile from my PSU.

I really hope someone can help me because I'm kind of stuck right now until I can get my buddy to test my system with his PSU. Thanks.

Kind regards.
Attached Files
File Type: zip logFile.zip (21.7 KB, 127 views)

Last edited by mintik; 02-20-2014 at 08:19 PM. Reason: Forgot to put an attachment.

Old 02-20-2014, 11:01 PM
bigfellla's PC Specs

POST ID # = 698375
bigfellla Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by mintik View Post
Hello,

I recently bought a R9 280X DC2T graphics card from Asus and ever since I put the card in my system I'm experiencing stability issues.
The first 5 minutes ingame I started getting artifacts in Battlefield 4. I have read that the memory chips used in the card were not designed
to operate at higher clock speeds than 1500 Mhz with 1.5V. The default clock for the memory on this particular model was 1600 Mhz on 1.6V.
First I thought it was my video card but after half an hour playing on another map, I didn't get the artifacts anymore. Later on I did start getting them again.
After a while my PC would suddenly shut down with an error message "Asus anti-surge was triggered to protect system from unstable power supply unit" and rebooted.
From then on this started to happen very frequently but totally random. Sometimes in idle state other times while gaming.
After the shutdown it can take up to 2 tries before the system successfully reboots. So I started troubleshooting in the following order:

1. Set memory clock speed of the graphics card on 1500 Mhz with MSI Afterburner (After I did this I got my first power surge, totally random so it seems afterwards..);
  2. Put off Anti-Surge protect via UEFI BIOS (I got several other pc shutdowns without the error message since I disabled the Anti-surge.);
  3. Put in my old Asus HD6950 graphics card (Same problems here);
  4. Unplugged everything from my AX860i PSU and did a self-test which was successful;
  5. Updated my motherboard BIOS to newest version (Getting desperate...);
  6. Put my power supply cable (6+2pin) into another PCI-E port of my PSU (Ran fine for an hour or 2 yesterday and today when I put my new graphics card back in,
    my pc shut down again after the first 5 minutes. At this very moment I'm typing this, there hasn't been a power surge for ~3 hours.)

My PC specs:
  • Case: Corsair Obsidian Series 750D
  • PSU: AX 860i
  • Motherboard: ASUS Maximus VI Formula (C2)
  • Processor: Intel Core i5 4670K
  • CPU cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H100i
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR3 1600 CL9 LP
  • Graphics card: ASUS r9 280x DCII Top
  • HDD: WD Green 1TB
  • SSD: Samsung 840 EVO Basic 250GB

As you can see, I already tried a few things but without any success for the moment. In a couple of days I will try to test my system with a different PSU from a friend
to see if it's my system or the PSU which is causing these problems. Note that every shutdown is random. It can happen every few minutes or every few hours. I will also add a logfile from my PSU.

I really hope someone can help me because I'm kind of stuck right now until I can get my buddy to test my system with his PSU. Thanks.

Kind regards.
Turn the GPU fan to 100% and remove any overclocks. See if this helps as it sounds like overheating to me.

Old 02-21-2014, 06:54 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 698412
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
Set memory clock speed of the graphics card on 1500 Mhz with MSI Afterburner (After I did this I got my first power surge, totally random so it seems afterwards..);
Put off Anti-Surge protect via UEFI BIOS (I got several other pc shutdowns without the error message since I disabled the Anti-surge.);
Put in my old Asus HD6950 graphics card (Same problems here);
Unplugged everything from my AX860i PSU and did a self-test which was successful;
Updated my motherboard BIOS to newest version (Getting desperate...);
Put my power supply cable (6+2pin) into another PCI-E port of my PSU (Ran fine for an hour or 2 yesterday and today when I put my new graphics card back in,
my pc shut down again after the first 5 minutes. At this very moment I'm typing this, there hasn't been a power surge for ~3 hours
.)

Or you just have a bad card. this isn't PSU related.

Old 02-21-2014, 03:17 PM
mintik's PC Specs

POST ID # = 698473
mintik Reputation: 10

Quote:
Or you just have a bad card. this isn't PSU related.
So I have 2 bad cards then? Since I have the same problems with my old graphics card HD6950.

EDIT: Ok so I have tested my power supply in the system of my buddy. Not 5 minutes have passed or his system started failing and rebooting.
This problem occured 2-3 times in a timeframe of 20 minutes. I think it is safe to say the problem lies with my PSU and not with my system?
Despite my PSU being faulty my videocard is also faulty because after the VRM's get too hot ~70°C, I'm starting to get artifacts.
Guess I should play the lottery right now. I haven't had that much bad luck in a while.

Last edited by mintik; 02-22-2014 at 05:22 PM.

Old 03-01-2014, 07:16 AM
Allapon's PC Specs

POST ID # = 699657
Allapon Reputation: 10
Default Similar Problem... But I live in Thailand now!!

I bought AX760i for 80 Plus Platinum and Corsair reputation since last August from Newegg.com in US. It works fine but I have to go back to my hometown in Thailand. I decided to ship the system back to Thailand via Ocean Freight.

When it arrive Thailand, symptom start to show up. First, I try to rearrange the cables to my MB, HD, SSD and Video card. However, the problem still be exist. The funniest thing is if I removed the side panel of my case and power on, it turns on fine without any issue!!

I don't know how to RMA in Thailand since I bought in US. Do Corsair have any information about this?

Thank you in Advance for your help

Old 07-07-2015, 01:30 PM
DarrenL's PC Specs

POST ID # = 788408
DarrenL Reputation: 10

I have just bought an HX850i and it constantly is shutting down. I got it to a point where it will go for 4-5 minutes. Now other problems are that the motherboard is not posting and it is my first build. Learning curve has been huge on this with this message coming after 3 weeks of searching for solutions and asking unsuccessfully for assistance.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:41 PM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 788456
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

You should start a new thread, then.

You know.. Instead of bumping a year and a half old one talking about a different PSU series.

Last edited by jonnyguru; 09-15-2015 at 12:25 PM.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:59 AM
4t0m1c4's PC Specs

POST ID # = 806792
4t0m1c4 Reputation: 10
Default Problem Solved (for me anyway)

I have just bought my second one of these PSU's, and had this problem for around 2 weeks before having time to spend on fixing it.

When I got around to grabbing my old PSU out of the old system, I noticed I had padded the top left mounting screw with fibre washers and it all came flooding back..

2 years ago I had the same problem, random resets without warning after hours of perfectly normal use (heavy or not), then repeated resets before BIOS Post. I found that I had used standard case screws to mount the PSU to the backplate of the case, and one of these had reached far enough in to touch the main PCB. On padding this screw out all the problems went away.

The mounting hole at fault is the top left hole, when seen from the rear, with the cooling fan port facing down. Hope this helps anyone else who might get this problem, and might shed light on different rated versions of this PSU.

After padding the screw I am able to run either machine (Asus maximus VI Impact + Corsair Graphite 360T mini-ITX case vs. Asus z87 pro + Coolermaster HAF XB mATX) with either PSU with no problems.

Old 12-24-2016, 09:40 AM
sideshow88's PC Specs

POST ID # = 883655
sideshow88 Reputation: 10
Default AX860i shutting down

I had this exact same issue on my new build a month or so ago.
To start of with I thought it was a ram issue as it did it a lot less after removing 2 of the 4 dimms.
In the end, as a last resort before I rma the ram and/or board, I plugged the PSU directly into a wall outlet and it instantly irradiated all the problems!

After doing some testing I came to the conclusion that it was either a voltage spike, or the under voltage protection was kicking in from either a faulty extension lead or other piece of hardware connected to said lead.

Is your PSU connected directly to an outlet?

Old 03-06-2017, 03:21 PM
bochi mode's PC Specs

POST ID # = 894145
bochi mode Reputation: 10
Default ax 860i suddenly shut down

Hi guys

I'm so sad, i think i have the same or similar problem. I bought it in last august, and one month ago started the issue. no matter what you do, playing or just few minutes the system was set up.., the ax860i psu shut down my pc. and after about 5sec the system swich on itself automatic and few secs after shut down again. and this continues indefinitely. this time i have to swich off the psu. when the issue happen, i can't use the machine until 15-30 minutes (it's do the same, swich on and reset aut.). i already removed everything from my system, there's just the board (lastest bios), cpu (intel: passed), memory (xmp off) and ssd. i use everything in 4K.

i changed the psu to a hx520w, and my pc is full stable. I thought i have memory problem because of xmp oc profil, but not.

now the ax860i is in my girlfriends machine. there's not repeat the problem. its an asus h110m-a m.2 with a pentium g4560, gtx 970, 2x4gb corsair 2133, fhd

i bought this expensive psu, because i wanted the most reliable solution :(.

Corsair. please give a solution...

Last edited by bochi mode; 03-06-2017 at 03:28 PM.

Old 03-15-2017, 03:23 PM
sblantipodi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 895321
sblantipodi Reputation: 10

there are thousands of people with AX series PSU that suffer from abrupt shutdown.
I had the same problem and there are hundred of threads of people having the same problem with the AX series.

this problem happen on AX series only, it can't be anything else than a design flaw.

Corsair admit it and recall our PSUs.