The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 35 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 03-21-2013, 07:13 PM
froglegs's PC Specs

POST ID # = 642012
froglegs Reputation: 10

I'm having the exact same problem with my ax760i. I originally thought it was the surge protector I had the power supply plugged into. Unfortunately, the other day the random shutdowns came back (after I had removed the surge protector). Out of nowhere and without warning... ... *click*... the computer just shuts off. Sometimes I'm able to power the computer back on and sometimes I'm forced to unplug it before it will boot back up.

I'm glad corsair's customer service is easy to deal with. They're sending me a replacement so hopefully it's just a bad batch and not common to all the units.

Old 07-08-2013, 05:47 AM
wcndave's PC Specs

POST ID # = 663739
wcndave Reputation: 12

I am having this too now with AX860i. Supposed to be top of the line!

The C-link doesn't let me make any changes manually to fan or anything else...

Also c-link shows i am at 60% efficiency! pretty bad.

Old 10-31-2013, 09:55 PM
BetaQuasi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 680859
BetaQuasi Reputation: 10
Default Just had this issue as well..

My AX860i just started exhibiting this issue after 3 months of flawless behaviour. That ugly red LED is staring at me as we speak.

It's almost definitely a PSU issue as if I switch it out with a spare Seasonic X750, the system behaves fine. Guess it's time for a RMA for me as well.

Old 11-04-2013, 12:32 AM
BetaQuasi's PC Specs

POST ID # = 681232
BetaQuasi Reputation: 10

My unit is now on its way for RMA.. $60 AUD later (a fifth of the purchase price :/)

Expensive mistake, buying this unit.. only hope the RMA'ed unit holds up and doesn't have the same issues. Think I'll stick with Seasonic next purchase.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:36 AM
Poik's PC Specs

POST ID # = 692539
Poik Reputation: 10

I just had this happen to me tonight. It's back up and running again but not sure how long that will last. It would be nice to hear something from Corsair as there seem to be quite a few people with very similar issues. :)

Old 01-14-2014, 10:01 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 692579
peanutz94 Reputation: 84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poik View Post
I just had this happen to me tonight. It's back up and running again but not sure how long that will last. It would be nice to hear something from Corsair as there seem to be quite a few people with very similar issues. :)
Poik Corsair sells 150,000 PSU's a month x 12months and that is a $%^& load of PSU's.. Not to mention this is a support forum. Your going to see many others with the same complaints, but that doesn't mean there is an inherent problem with that PSU.

There is an acceptable percentage limit of RMA's. Unless the PSU exceeds that number your not going to hear anything from them.

If your having problems with your PSU , please use the link on the left to request an RMA and they would be happy to replace it for you.

Old 01-16-2014, 04:08 AM

POST ID # = 692865
Monkeyfeng Reputation: 10

Just bought this same PSU and have the same exact issue.. I need to do an RMA but the customer service phone line is a very long wait. I waited for 30minutes and they couldn't take my call. I tried to do an online ticket RMA but they only have accessories replacement RMA available...

I paid extra to get Corsair PSU expecting a good customer service experience.. It has been awful so far.

Old 01-30-2014, 02:11 AM
TRayT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695080
TRayT Reputation: 10

System was having boot up issues - seemed to be stuck in a loop, and taking at times 5 minutes to get into Windows.

Got around problem by not turning system off (just let it keep running, even at night). This worked for a while, then one morning came to system and it had shut down. Red light was on the AX860i. I attempted to start the computer a number of times without success. Each time a click sound was heard, system shut off abruptly and the red light appeared on the PSU. Finally managed to get system working, got into Windows, and a short while later it shut off with the red light appearing on the PSU again. This kept occurring a number of times until finally I got a warning upon trying to boot up stating that the motherboard had shut the system down due to a power surge from the PSU. At that point I figured it was not safe to keep trying and now I am dealing with the outlet I purchased it from trying to 'prove' to them the PSU is faulty. They did some simple test at the counter and told me it was fine, and that they would have to due more extensive testing to confirm it was faulty.

I called Corsair, and left two messages. That was last week. I have a feeling they will never call me back.

Last edited by TRayT; 01-30-2014 at 02:14 AM.

Old 01-30-2014, 08:45 AM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695099

Quote:
Got around problem by not turning system off (just let it keep running, even at night). This worked for a while, then one morning came to system and it had shut down. Red light was on the AX860i. I attempted to start the computer a number of times without success.
Did you try removing the PSU from your system and starting it with a paper clip? This is going to be the fastest way to figure out if the red light is a fault caused by the PSU or the MB.

Quote:
Each time a click sound was heard, system shut off abruptly and the red light appeared on the PSU
The "click" is normal,it's a relay switching on. It should be heard just a second or so after you hit the power button on your case. You may also hear it at shut down.

Quote:
I am dealing with the outlet I purchased it from trying to 'prove' to them the PSU is faulty. They did some simple test at the counter and told me it was fine, and that they would have to due more extensive testing to confirm it was faulty.
If they are unwilling to help you just use the link on the left to request an RMA. Corsair will replace it for you.

I would still test with a paper clicp first, or really if you have access to another PSU to test your system with would be the best way to go.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:05 AM
TRayT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695237

Techs called me today and said during testing the PSU did fine. The problem is intermittent so it may not show up right away. Whatever they determine - I do not think it prudent to risk using it and possibly causing damage to other components, not to mention it could be a safety risk as well.

Thanks for the tips peanutz94.

Old 01-31-2014, 06:54 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695325

Quote:
Techs called me today and said during testing the PSU did fine. The problem is intermittent so it may not show up right away. Whatever they determine - I do not think it prudent to risk using it and possibly causing damage to other components, not to mention it could be a safety risk as well.
From previous post:
Quote:
System was having boot up issues - seemed to be stuck in a loop, and taking at times 5 minutes to get into Windows.
Usually i question techs other than the Corsair team, just because many of them will just tell you it's good with out even testing it. But I was thinking this didn't sound like your typical power supply problem. I really don't think there is any safety risk or risk of damage to your components, at least not from your PSU. I would use it.

Old 02-04-2014, 10:32 PM
TRayT's PC Specs

POST ID # = 695879
Default Video of problem

I took the following video. You can see the fan twitching every 8 seconds and hear a faint ticking sound when it occurs. You need to really crack up to sound to hear it.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BzR...it?usp=sharing

Is this normal? Anyone have this happening with their PSU?

Thanks

Old 02-07-2014, 06:19 PM
raglafart's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696248
raglafart Reputation: 10

Wow!

I joined the forums here having been directed to them from another forum.

I'm utterly gob smacked, I've just had to RMA my 1 month old AX860i and simply cannot believe what I've read here.

I have to say I'm really concerned having just spent what I thought was top dollar for not just a top product but a platinum pluss product.
It lasted all of a month before I had the same issues with my unit. Initially just powering down unexpectedly but then refusing to boot and the red and no light and clicking syndrome.

What I'd really like to know is having gone to the express replacement solution, will the new unit give me trouble free running?
It cost me $70 to ship it back for the RMA and if it happens again it's going to be an economical disaster and none of it my fault.
Very disappointed indeed.

Old 02-08-2014, 12:23 PM
Support Assistant
peanutz94's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696338

Quote:
'm utterly gob smacked, I've just had to RMA my 1 month old AX860i and simply cannot believe what I've read here.

I have to say I'm really concerned having just spent what I thought was top dollar for not just a top product but a platinum pluss product.
It lasted all of a month before I had the same issues with my unit. Initially just powering down unexpectedly but then refusing to boot and the red and no light and clicking syndrome.
Then you should have also read how many PSU's they sell. You are going to have some failures here and there. Also please keep in mind this is a support forum. All your going to see here are complaints of failures of every type and time frame. I know that sounds like the fan boy response, but it's the truth. Multiply that by 12 months and thats a hell of a lot of power supplies! But i completely understand where your coming from though. Somehow it just kind of burns when it happens to you. I know...thats what brought me here to these forums 3 years ago.
Quote:
What I'd really like to know is having gone to the express replacement solution, will the new unit give me trouble free running?
It cost me $70 to ship it back for the RMA and if it happens again it's going to be an economical disaster and none of it my fault.
Very disappointed indeed.
99% of the timme they will ship you a brand new unit, but still have the right to use refurnished if they have to. You should be fine with a new unit.,

In the rare event that yoiu would need another RMA, make sure you ask for a pre-paid label. They will cover shipping on second RMA's and products less than 30 days old.

LOL sorry for the typos...I'm trying to get used to a new KB. :)

Last edited by peanutz94; 02-08-2014 at 12:27 PM.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:14 PM
`~~`
wytnyt's PC Specs

POST ID # = 696365
wytnyt wytnyt Reputation: 159
Send a message via ICQ to wytnyt Send a message via AIM to wytnyt Send a message via Yahoo to wytnyt Send a message via Skype™ to wytnyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peanutz94 View Post
Then you should have also read how many PSU's they sell. You are going to have some failures here and there. Also please keep in mind this is a support forum. All your going to see here are complaints of failures of every type and time frame. I know that sounds like the fan boy response, but it's the truth. Multiply that by 12 months and thats a hell of a lot of power supplies! But i completely understand where your coming from though. Somehow it just kind of burns when it happens to you. I know...thats what brought me here to these forums 3 years ago.

. :)
+1
of course im still looking for a product with a zero failure rate.
out of over 3 dozen items ive purchased of corsair products ive had one failure,,,well it still worked but just not to my expectations
sorry this has happened and not being rude or crude but it was just luck of the draw yours zonked out...