The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Systems > Bulldog and Lapdog

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-10-2016, 02:18 AM
Xiltyn's PC Specs

POST ID # = 846480
Xiltyn Reputation: 10

Now the engineering of this wouldn't be easy and still have a structurally sound product but might I suggest looking at some adjustability of the lapdog? To be able to accommodate your various keyboards as well as the varying size of people's laps? The first certainly you can do and the later would have to be as best as you can do understandably.

That is really my only concern from looking at it and I'm interested in it but if the keyboard I just ordered won't sit well on it then it is little use to me.

Slim to be able to slide under a couch is a nice consideration but I'd NEVER put my keyboard under my couch anyways (have you seen the size of dust bunnies under a couch? :P )

Wireless again would be nice for quite a few people I'm sure but you are right that as a gamer I don't use wireless anything anymore. I even have a Vengence headset and don't use it because that battery inevitably needs recharged at the wrong times. Not corsair's fault at all :p So wireless option or not for me doesn't matter but if you can work it in I think it would be a good OPTION for it's use as far as expanding the market for it and that helps to keep the product going for even those of us that wouldn't use the wireless option.

Mouse pad size is important and I'd add could you look at a hard mouse pad option? Something that could be easily replaced for at most $15 USD? or even two options one cloth one hard? In each case an easily replaced component for a competitive price to normal pads. I know some of the hard pads go for $50 or more (I've used them) but instead of trying to have it be one that is going to last for 3 years of heavy use look at 1 year and easily replaceable because eventually it is going to have to be replaced and I would expect that like myself most people are not going to be happy if they have to replace the whole lapdog simply because of wearing down the center of the mouse pad some.

Really about all of the criticism for the product it's self that I could see looking at it. A product I'm definitely watching.

Now as far as the marketing images you have out for it already. Maybe I've just not seen one but some shots with people using the lapdog with their feet up instead of flat on the floor in front of them would be a good idea. The suggestion of some palm rest made me think about this: Will I even need a palm rest with how I plan on using it? Chilled back on a futon with my legs up already so my arms aren't even going to be at that 90 degree angle and the lapdog isn't going to be below my chest so much? Be nice to see how it plays in being used like that both with and without any additional sort of palm rest.

Old 05-25-2016, 04:29 PM

POST ID # = 854519
chadamus Reputation: 10

Why isn't there a left-handed version?

Old 05-25-2016, 05:09 PM
yerfdog79's PC Specs

POST ID # = 854527
yerfdog79 Reputation: 10

Will my Strafe RGB fit the lapdog?

Old 05-29-2016, 02:43 PM

POST ID # = 855342
dhale Reputation: 10

What is the length of the cord, is it just one USB cable to the PC? and can a USB extension cable be used as my PC is 20 ft away? Wireless would be better.

Old 10-22-2016, 05:51 AM
CaptainMike47's PC Specs

POST ID # = 876413
CaptainMike47 Reputation: 10

Sorry Corsair, this won't be a good review of the Lapdog, but it needs said.

I really wanted this product to work, especially since the layout of my room changes frequently with need and I like to use my PCs from a reclined position and in theory the Bulldog should have pulled this off. The product's overall build quality is excellent and sturdy and I can see it lasting a good while, and the way the keyboard fits just feels right. Also works great with mice that use a wireless dongle since it can plug in internally. The addition of USB ports on the side was pure brilliance for things like headphone dongles or USB drives not to mention charging devices (like said wireless mouse). And personally I think with the K70 Lux installed it looks excellent!

However, unfortunately, the good ends here because the Lapdog has some serious design flaws that made the device unusable and I ended up returning mine. First, the mouse-pad is slippery with every kind of mouse I tried making it guaranteed to fall off if at any sort of angle (and if you are using the Lapdog, it's not likely to be level all the time). Secondly, the entire lapdog falls off the memory foam component making the concept fall apart (literally), there isn't much point if the device falls on the floor. Lastly, the lack of any sort of wrist wrest or cushioning was a very bad move. The lack of wrist cushioning exposes you to very sharp edges which even if they were not sharp are extremely uncomfortable (and can even result in pushing the Lapdog off the memory foam, again). Taking a wooden board and having your keyboard and mouse sit on it is a better solution (not an exaggeration, actually is, but don't forget to use a maximum control style mousepad with it).

EDIT: I neglected to mention I got some painful marks on my wrists from just a few minutes of use of this product, I could see a serious injury (such as slit wrists) caused by this flaw.

I know this was a bit hard on Corsair, but this is since I expect quality products from them and this seriously fell short. This feels extremely first generation and a bit experimental overall. To make it worse, none of these issues should have made it past quality control or any sort of basic pre-production testing.

I really want to see a second gen of this where these issues would be resolved. I would be first in line for one that addresses these issues! However, I'm sad to say that nobody should buy this product as it currently is. I would say I am the target audience for this, and I've wanted a solution for this for years. Did Corsair need this product so soon for Computex they rushed it through and ended up with a flawed production model? I wonder. Please make a fixed one Corsair, they will sell, believe me.

Last edited by CaptainMike47; 10-22-2016 at 06:55 AM. Reason: Added comment to cons paragraph

Old 11-16-2016, 09:22 AM

POST ID # = 879168
Bennewitz Reputation: 10
Default RGB-series Keyboard Wristrest workaround (as replacementpart available for 13 Euro)

Some suggestions (excuse my aggressive style, just take the good hints and forget about the rest) :

K-series CUE "black rainbow" has an unholylooking impure white backlightingilllumination instead of the old blue-phoshor-white, deflected from a toppanel that went from reflective delorean style gunpowder silver to an absorbent substractive dead black toppanel , almost every longer review on the internet does lament the former.

Anyways, this is Cherrys not Corsairs fault

Also, for those wanting to use the K65 spacer as Mousepad-area, beware :There are no less than 3 or 4 versions of the compact k65 keyboard with varying Switchcolours and usb-passthrough Hubs, which also could be consolidated to a "K-Series standard usbportlayout"(see my bottom Ascii-Art-essay on usb-c keyboards).

This is why Corsair lapdog sales suffer :(current Keyboard-Usb-powersupply and rgb-CUE powerhungers fault)

As long as your left lower Arm has full Angle-stiff contact (meaning more than 1 contactpoint/ restaxis) , you will not need a Wristrest and comfort is on par with the rather narrow "rococo couch", but this is only possible in parrallel leg position which will get uncomfortable in time. Any deviation from perfect posture will make typing a nuisance and herein lies the problem because this is not actual comfort.

1. A makeshift solution with wristrest:

So here is the advice for the customers owning the normal current lapdog (though the solution is lackluster ergonomically):

The current kleyboards wristrests` primary interface with the plain standard Corsair keyboards needs to be cut off to do this Mod. The modular concept will never be Mass-compatible, just a "Bricolage"for Amateurs.

As the lapdog left lower corner metal L-Frame panel is not removable as the screws suggested and is not easily replaced by a custom Aluminium sheet Wristrest, here is a possible answer (ESSENTIAL : please click the coloured textrows one after another for the linked pictures):

The endresult should look like this:

Since the 2mm deep Thread in Aluminiumsheet will not hold for long,

You should probably use Skrews for Plasticthreads

or even better go buy a blind Rivet clamp

for a fixed solution

These will hold without having to buy a Threadcutter

You will have to remove these leaf-spring-like supports on the wristress` bottom

The wristrests are available as replacementpart for 13 Euro at Corsair Homepage

- just cut off the surplus profile length with a saw

The ergonomic frontal wedge-edge of the current keyboards and the frontal edge of the Lapdog would need a common shape and Angle for a standard modular solution, therefore a change from clip-in leafsprings to "screwed" or "clicked" or still better, telescopic profile with click would still be an amelioration in pre-usb-c times but time has run out on usb1/2/3.
Also, an wristrest intergral to the L-shaped toppanel in the lapdogs lower left corner would not look straight and break the line of the design.

2. ergonomic Redesign:

Using a horizontal slit in the backside beneath the mousepad running its width instead of the old Lapdog prototype articulated vertical Mousecableholder design with the cable stowed beneath the mousepad, the K-series standard corsairkeyboards would just need an own cablechannel in the keyboardunderside and shifting the keyboardlayoutposition up the natural lapboard wristrest would be saved. On a sidenote, a double usb passthrough hub (one middle back and another side top ) to switch master and slave is not feasible with usb1,2,3,c and can be counted out.

Last edited by Bennewitz; 11-26-2016 at 01:06 AM.

Old 12-06-2016, 12:27 AM

POST ID # = 881441
nbmnbm Reputation: 10
Default First Impressions

I was really excited about this product as I absolutely love love love my K70s, and needed something for working in the living room. I have to say, using it the previous couple of evenings has been tough. The sharp machined edges are digging into my wrists and are really quite painful -- have you at Corsair actually used this thing? What do you do to prevent this? I'm trying to figure out a solution to this -- I've thought of running a couple of layers of masking tape over it. I wistfully flip the Lapdog around and rest my wrists on the cable storage area -- ahhh. But, alas, I can't insert the K70 that way, and I'm a righty. There's got to be a reason there's no wrist rest. Am I doing it wrong? Is there another product I can buy? I see there are some gloves out there that might work.