The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-05-2019, 02:17 PM
T4M3W0LF's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1003621
T4M3W0LF Reputation: 10
Default PSU Buzzing Issue

Hi all new to the forum, I have come here to seek some help out as having some issues with my new build.

I have the HX850i PSU its brand new only put in the pc a day ago but I have noticed when the pc is say playing a game or scrolling the net or loading a program I am noticing a buzzing sound coming from the PSU but not 100% sure whats causing it!.

At first I thought it might be a fan or the GPU but have ruled both of them out as have the PSU running outside the case (as of writing this), So if anyone here that might have a clue or some ideas please help me out as I have never come across this before.

Thanks

Old 06-19-2019, 01:06 AM

POST ID # = 1008459
Pocah Reputation: 10

I suspect that everything is fine just you have been unlucky and received a PSU with a noisy coil.
I have a PSU in an old PC here with the same issue. When the PC draws more power through the PSU it buzzes. I would expect that with an old PSU but not with a brand new one. You should send it back for replacement. Most shops will do that. I don't know how Corsair themselves consider noisy coils. If you can't replace it then consider changing the orientation of the PSU. High frequency noise is highly directional and easily absorbed. If you block the path to your ears with a carpet tile or even pointing the supply in another direction you can often solve the problem.

Last edited by Pocah; 06-19-2019 at 01:09 AM.

Old 06-19-2019, 11:29 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1008582
Vegan Reputation: 10

Usually with bottom mounted PSU type chassis, noise is compartmentalized to some extent.

Make sure the screws are tight but not overdone. Gromets can be used to add some isolation to some extent but that gets more tricky.

Corsair SPEC-01 chassis with the Corsair HX1000i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.