The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-25-2019, 10:26 AM
corsican corsican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 54
POST ID # = 995536
corsican Reputation: 10
Question @ Corsair engineers: is Corsair RMi fan triggered by load, temperature, or both?

question's in the title

since wattage is easier to measure reliably & accurately than temperature I reckon the trigger would be wattage-based (also the fan curve on user instruction on website page suggests it's load-based)

but then what if PSU overheats even on low load? (eg. in a small poorly cooled case or w/e) then a thermal trigger would also be useful

so which of the two is it? or is it both?
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 03-13-2019, 03:23 PM
Corsair Notepad Corsair Notepad is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Notepad's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: Fremont, CA
Posts: 265
POST ID # = 997596
Corsair Notepad Reputation: 10
Default

Based on a certain temperature threshold.
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 03-14-2019, 07:10 PM
corsican corsican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 54
POST ID # = 997758
corsican Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Notepad View Post
Based on a certain temperature threshold.
ok but in that case the user guide pdf should be edited cause they give the wrong info:

https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia...RMi_Manual.pdf

they say the fan curves depend on wattage (in fact it says the fan curve even depends on each model for instance in the RM850i it says it requires higher wattage for fan to trigger than in the RM750i)
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 04-08-2019, 06:58 PM
Corsair Kevin's Avatar
Corsair Kevin Corsair Kevin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 131
POST ID # = 1000816
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10
Default

Hi Corsican, as stated in the manual and as you pointed out, the fans are actuated with the load on the PSU. The reason it's higher on the RM850 is because the load at which the fan actuates is a percentage (40%) of the max power output.

RM1000i -> Fan actuates at 1000W*(0.4) = 400W
RM850i -> Fan actuates at 850W*(0.4) = 340W
RM750i -> Fan actuates at 750W*(0.4) = 300W

Last edited by Corsair Kevin; 04-08-2019 at 07:46 PM.
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 04-09-2019, 01:16 AM
Vegan Vegan is offline
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Posts: 186
POST ID # = 1000845
Vegan Reputation: 10
Default

i have a bottom mounted PSU so i doubt my AX860i gets all that warm
__________________

Corsair SPEC-01 chassis with the Corsair HX1000i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 04-09-2019, 02:34 AM
andrew84 andrew84 is offline
Registered User
andrew84's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Mar 2019
Posts: 3
POST ID # = 1000847
andrew84 Reputation: 10
Default

i guess no wonder my HX1000 all the time very hot to the touch, because my pc roughly i guess pulling around 360w more or less...didn't reach the 40% load of the PSU the fan never turn on before..
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:07 PM
Corsair Kevin's Avatar
Corsair Kevin Corsair Kevin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 131
POST ID # = 1000959
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew84 View Post
i guess no wonder my HX1000 all the time very hot to the touch, because my pc roughly i guess pulling around 360w more or less...didn't reach the 40% load of the PSU the fan never turn on before..
You may want to consider a lower wattage PSU for your needs. Peak efficiency is going to hover around 50% load or just under. The HX750 would probably be better unless you plan on adding another GPU in the very near future.

Please refer to the HX series manual for efficiency graphs here:
https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia.../HX_Manual.pdf
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 04-09-2019, 07:35 PM
corsican corsican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 54
POST ID # = 1000963
corsican Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Notepad View Post
Based on a certain temperature threshold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin View Post
the fans are actuated with the load on the PSU.
alrite now this is confusing

so to be really 100% sure this time is it load or temp or both?

(logic would say it would be both because, what if PSU somehow overheats despite a low load? or conversely what if PSU's on heavy load but the thermal sensor - which tends to be inherently less reliable than load sensor - does not trigger?)
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 04-10-2019, 12:22 PM
Corsair Kevin's Avatar
Corsair Kevin Corsair Kevin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 131
POST ID # = 1001053
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsican View Post
alrite now this is confusing

so to be really 100% sure this time is it load or temp or both?

(logic would say it would be both because, what if PSU somehow overheats despite a low load? or conversely what if PSU's on heavy load but the thermal sensor - which tends to be inherently less reliable than load sensor - does not trigger?)

Fan actuation is based on load.

Your concerns are definitely a reality, which is why the PSUs have over-temp protection -- essentially the PSU shutting down. I can't stress enough that buying a PSU isn't just something to take lightly, which is why we show both efficiency and fan curves in the manuals.

It's important to always calculate or even estimate minimum, maximum, and estimated average power draw BEFORE you build your system so you can accurately decide on a PSU. You'll notice that peak efficiency is around 50% load on our PSUs, with a little variance between models/series.

e.g. If you're only drawing 300W, it doesn't make sense to have a 1200W PSU.

As for temperature sensing being inaccurate, variance is relatively small on temperature sensors.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 04-10-2019, 04:22 PM
corsican corsican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 54
POST ID # = 1001082
corsican Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin View Post
Fan actuation is based on load.

Your concerns are definitely a reality, which is why the PSUs have over-temp protection -- essentially the PSU shutting down. I can't stress enough that buying a PSU isn't just something to take lightly, which is why we show both efficiency and fan curves in the manuals.

It's important to always calculate or even estimate minimum, maximum, and estimated average power draw BEFORE you build your system so you can accurately decide on a PSU. You'll notice that peak efficiency is around 50% load on our PSUs, with a little variance between models/series.

e.g. If you're only drawing 300W, it doesn't make sense to have a 1200W PSU.

As for temperature sensing being inaccurate, variance is relatively small on temperature sensors.
so basically fan is controlled by load only, however there's also a temperature sensor (for OTP)? good to hear

at what temp does OTP trigger?
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 04-11-2019, 03:53 PM
Corsair Kevin's Avatar
Corsair Kevin Corsair Kevin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 131
POST ID # = 1001168
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsican View Post
so basically fan is controlled by load only, however there's also a temperature sensor (for OTP)? good to hear

at what temp does OTP trigger?

Our PSUs have multiple thermistors located near critical components, and the PSUs are rated [and tested] up to 50C.

Some of the models, such as the RMi, also have a temperature trigger for the fan, but primary actuation is based on load.
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 04-11-2019, 04:00 PM
Corsair Kevin's Avatar
Corsair Kevin Corsair Kevin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 131
POST ID # = 1001169
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10
Default

I want to add to what I mentioned in that last reply. The temperature trigger, while it exists, is more of a contingency if there's a rapid spike in temperature. There's basically no fan curve, as the fan immediately ramps up to 100% as an attempt to rapidly cool any components that may be getting excessively hot. If this doesn't work, the OTP activates and the PSU powers down.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 04-11-2019, 05:19 PM
corsican corsican is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 54
POST ID # = 1001178
corsican Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corsair Kevin View Post
Some of the models, such as the RMi, also have a temperature trigger for the fan, but primary actuation is based on load.
wait so the RMi does have dual trigger (both load and temp based) for the fan?
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 04-11-2019, 07:35 PM
Corsair Kevin's Avatar
Corsair Kevin Corsair Kevin is offline
Corsair Employee
Corsair Kevin's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Aug 2018
Posts: 131
POST ID # = 1001187
Corsair Kevin Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by corsican View Post
wait so the RMi does have dual trigger (both load and temp based) for the fan?
Yes, but again, it's only when temperatures are at critical levels and should, in my personal opinion, only be considered a contingency trigger, not something most people would see under normal or even heavy use.
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.