The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-18-2019, 11:25 PM
bsanders03's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018637
bsanders03 Reputation: 10
Default HX1000i PSU

Does the USB connection from the PSU have to be plugged into the commander pro in order to get the readouts thru iCue?

Or can I plug directly into motherboard USB 2.0?

Old 09-18-2019, 11:37 PM
CORSAIR Beta Team
DevBiker's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018641
DevBiker Reputation: 88

Same as the H150 - can be in any USB header.

This comment is provided "as-is", without warranty of any kind, express or implied, including, but not limited to, the sanity or mental fitness of the author. The author is not a Corsair employee, does not represent Corsair, and no comment should be construed as an official statement from Corsair.

Old 09-18-2019, 11:41 PM
bsanders03's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018642

So how is the system specs controlled without it going thru the commander pro if I just plug it into the motherboard?

Old 09-19-2019, 04:29 AM
Yemble's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018663
Yemble Reputation: 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsanders03 View Post
So how is the system specs controlled without it going thru the commander pro if I just plug it into the motherboard?
iCUE still sees it. The CoPro has nothing to do with the USB connection.

In fact, you only require iCUE to set up the fan profile, then you can ditch iCUE and use AIDA64 / HWinfo to monitor the PSU. Same concept applies to the AIOs.

Note that there seems to be a common misconception here that a CoPro is mandatory for connecting and monitoring Corsair PSUs, fans and AIOs. This is simply not true! Although, the CoPro might be seen as a convenient hub for such things, it could also be considered as a very expensive single point of failure (£50-£80), especially on mobos that have plenty of fan and RGB headers.

Last edited by Yemble; 09-19-2019 at 04:42 AM.

Old 09-19-2019, 04:32 AM
bsanders03's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018664

So iCue will recognize the HX1000i PSU when connected into the motherboard via the USB 2.0?

I just figured iCue was one place to see everything, such as the RGB of my fans, and memory, and RGB strips. Along with the fans

Is AIDA64 / HWinfo better to use for all of this?

Old 09-19-2019, 07:45 AM
Yemble's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018673

Quote:
So iCue will recognize the HX1000i PSU when connected into the motherboard via the USB 2.0?

I just figured iCue was one place to see everything, such as the RGB of my fans, and memory, and RGB strips. Along with the fans

Is AIDA64 / HWinfo better to use for all of this?
Yes and yes.

I actually use an internal USB splitter to connect both my HX850i and H115i devices to a single USB 2.0 mobo header (standard dual-port) .

My entire system is monitored with Aida64 and HWinfo. Although I do have iCue installed for the sole purpose of setting fan and coolant profiles, I do not load it during Windows 10 boot.

Last edited by Yemble; 09-19-2019 at 07:50 AM.

Old 09-19-2019, 11:12 AM
bsanders03's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018688

Nice. Do you have a link to the splitter you used by chance?

Old 09-20-2019, 01:02 AM
Yemble's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1018795
Thumbs up

Quote:
Nice. Do you have a link to the splitter you used by chance?
There are a number of ways to do this, of which I have successfully tried two...

1) Passive splitter
This...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Dual-USB-...0AAOSwipFdd5XV
...and this...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/prettyia-...MAAOSwRiFcc76d
Then connect to the Corsair devices with two standard short USB phone cables (note the two different plug sockets on the Corsair devices!). In my case (Fractal Define R6) this tucks away neatly behind/below the mobo. Search "20 pin usb splitter" in eBay.

2) Active splitter
This...
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PC-Case-I...UAAOSwMoVdMCW1
Then connect to the Corsair devices using the Corsair supplied internal USB cables. Again, in my case, this tucks away neatly behind/below the mobo. Search "internal usb splitter" in eBay.

I started with an active splitter, however, I managed to break it performing multiple power cycles when trying to repair a corrupted mobo BIOS Up to that point it had performed flawlessly!

I then switched to a passive splitter using some parts and cables that I had lying around from a previous build, which I had forgotten about! As this is an unbreakable solution, I have stuck with it

If I was doing it again, I'd probably consider this, as an alternative to the passive splitter plug... https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Kingwin-2...4AAOSwhZ5bj1W2

Last edited by Yemble; 09-20-2019 at 01:27 AM.

Old 09-24-2019, 04:20 PM
BlaiseP's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1019173
BlaiseP Reputation: 35

There are two other methods available:
  1. Use one of the rear I/O USB 2.0 ports via a USB 2.0 to micro-USB cable and route it back into the case for the PSU's USB LINK connection. Now you should have a free internal USB 2.0 header available for the CLC.
  2. I would only recommend this method if you are really squeezed for space in your case or are wanting to do things on the cheap and are comfortable with modifying cables.
    The motherboard header supports 2 x USB 2.0 connections and you have two devices (PSU & CLC) to hook up. If you look at the end of the USB cables for these devices, you'll see that only half of the pins being used. With a safety pin (or similar), you can extract the wired pins from the plug of one of the Corsair USB cables and then insert them into the second devices USB plug (in the spare spaces of the plug). The pin placement is exactly the same layout so use the existing wires as a template.

Old 10-12-2019, 09:02 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1021108
Vegan Reputation: 10

I have a pair of usb 2.0 4-way splitters to handle the range of peripherals i use

Cooler Master HAF 932 chassis with the Corsair HX1000i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.