The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Keyboards and Mice

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
  #1  
Old 05-17-2019, 12:12 PM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1004834
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Thumbs down K70 MK2 RAPID FIRE - LOW QUALITY - Corsair Read This

I am new to the brand and was told that Corsair is a beacon of quality in the PC market. I bought the K70 MK2 RAPID FIRE KEYBOARD expecting great things. The over all rigidity of the keyboard is great. Cherry MX Silver switches are awesome. What is not awesome is the fact that no matter what surface I put the keyboard on (i have the 3mm corsair keyboard and mouse matt), it makes a loud pinging noise. Best buy was good enough to me and allowed me to exchange the keyboard 3 times, and all of them have the same pinging noise.

I called Corsair support and I was given this answer:

- some keys may make this noise and some won't , and it all depends where you press on the keyboard (not a good sign of quality)
- There may be a break in period and the ping " may go away"
- You can RMA the unit , but it will cost for me to ship the unit to them
- I was also told that some batches of keyboards for this model have this and some don't - wth
- My friend bought the same keyboard in a different city also from bestbuy and his keyboard doesn't have the ping.

Another Issue is the stabilizers if you tap too fast on the keys that rely on a stabilizer it will wedge itself to the side where you hit with too much momentum.

Best buy as a courtesy ended up giving me a replacement plan for free just in case it gets worse. Corsair's response was to have me ship it away.

I guess the days of quality are over , really for a $170 product. I would expect red dragon to have this type of quality but not corsair.
Reply With Quote


  #2  
Old 05-18-2019, 05:11 PM
neamerjell neamerjell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 1004929
neamerjell Reputation: 10
Default Read the label before buying then...

I just bought one today and noticed the pinging you describe. It doesn't bother me that much because I read the box and knew what I was getting. On the box it plainly says:

MADE IN CHINA

Seriously, I wonder about some people...
Reply With Quote


  #3  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:06 PM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1004932
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

The choice of a plant where it was manufactured is one thing. Another is bad design. The back behind the metal plate and the board is hollow plastic. I just wish that a premium product like this would leave me speech less, not wanting to curse at it. So the bottom line is don't have quality **** made in chinese sweat houses. Have you see the cooler master case factory video , it's a joke how motivated these folks are to do their jobs.
Reply With Quote


  #4  
Old 05-18-2019, 07:08 PM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1004933
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by neamerjell View Post
I just bought one today and noticed the pinging you describe. It doesn't bother me that much because I read the box and knew what I was getting. On the box it plainly says:

MADE IN CHINA

Seriously, I wonder about some people...
+

So what you're telling me is to stay away from corsair product right ?
Reply With Quote


  #5  
Old 05-19-2019, 02:10 AM
neamerjell neamerjell is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 7
POST ID # = 1004965
neamerjell Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniek123 View Post
+

So what you're telling me is to stay away from corsair product right ?
Not at all. I assumed you were aware that the "Made in China" moniker has long been synonymous with dubious quality control or even just plain junk.

While I am aware that many products have defied this stereotype and many more continue to do so, all too often there are garbage products which reinforce it. (SuperMicro recently made headlines regarding chips, made in China, with compromised security on their motherboards.)

So far I am satisfied with my K70 MK2, although I have noticed a slight reduction in quality from the K70 LUX it replaced due to a spill.
Reply With Quote


  #6  
Old 05-19-2019, 05:54 AM
c-attack c-attack is offline
Registered User
c-attack's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 9,218
POST ID # = 1004980
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 107
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniek123 View Post
+

So what you're telling me is to stay away from corsair product right ?

No, he is in attempting to reinforce a 35 year old political slogan/slander while simultaneously conceding it is not entirely accurate and he does not follow it in principle. Good thing, most every object within 20 ft of you right now has components manufactured in China. Things are either carefully constructed or they are not, but childish geo-political bumper sticker phrases don’t help people make decisions.

I won’t defend the series of responses you received. The K70 and K95 series keyboards have aluminum frames. You are striking a key and transmitting energy into that environment. No dampener is 100% effective with total energy absorption. Some of that is going to become sound and may end up with a ping-like tone. I have 4 of this series in different flavors. None of them sound like a musical triangle, but clearly are mechanical keyboards. I don’t get the ping. There are some examples that do.

Other options: Take a look at the Strafe version. This eliminates the metal frame in favor of plastic. It likely has a different sound to it. Functionally, it is the same, just less expensive plastic vs aluminum. Best Buy probably has one on the floor to mash around on. There also is a “silent key” version. I have not tried it, but if you are transitioning from a membrane to mechanical, that might make the jump easier. There is also a K70 Mk.2 Low Profile model. This is attacking the issue from the other side. Less force and shorter key travel distance should reduce the amount of energy transmitted into the metal frame and internal space. Obviously you can keep swapping K70s or try a different brand, but you may not find competing models to be as pleasing. Most Best Buys have a keyboard demo station so you can get your hands on them.

Last edited by c-attack; 05-19-2019 at 08:11 AM.
Reply With Quote


  #7  
Old 05-19-2019, 07:29 AM
Apophis3 Apophis3 is offline
Registered User
Apophis3's PC Specs
 
Join Date: Feb 2018
Posts: 608
POST ID # = 1004989
Apophis3 Reputation: 12
Default

You may also consider an o-ring mod to the switches to dampen impact noise.
Reply With Quote


  #8  
Old 05-20-2019, 09:44 PM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1005172
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

I have conditioned myself to type softer but going between work and home computer for typing, membrane to mechanical it makes it hard. I just wish that corsair would put on the box - " don't buy , keyboard has an annoying ***** ping". I don't want to have the o rings cause it kills the tactile feel of the keyboard. I guess if this is the new trend that the mechanical metal plated keyboards are going then we're all screwed as far as the quietness goes. The razer piece of garbage huntsman has the same noise. I know razer has been known for their dubious quality, but never expected it from corsair. I wish corsair would take a more proactive approach towards customer satisfaction.
Reply With Quote


  #9  
Old 05-20-2019, 10:00 PM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1005174
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by c-attack View Post
No, he is in attempting to reinforce a 35 year old political slogan/slander while simultaneously conceding it is not entirely accurate and he does not follow it in principle. Good thing, most every object within 20 ft of you right now has components manufactured in China. Things are either carefully constructed or they are not, but childish geo-political bumper sticker phrases don’t help people make decisions.

I won’t defend the series of responses you received. The K70 and K95 series keyboards have aluminum frames. You are striking a key and transmitting energy into that environment. No dampener is 100% effective with total energy absorption. Some of that is going to become sound and may end up with a ping-like tone. I have 4 of this series in different flavors. None of them sound like a musical triangle, but clearly are mechanical keyboards. I don’t get the ping. There are some examples that do.

Other options: Take a look at the Strafe version. This eliminates the metal frame in favor of plastic. It likely has a different sound to it. Functionally, it is the same, just less expensive plastic vs aluminum. Best Buy probably has one on the floor to mash around on. There also is a “silent key” version. I have not tried it, but if you are transitioning from a membrane to mechanical, that might make the jump easier. There is also a K70 Mk.2 Low Profile model. This is attacking the issue from the other side. Less force and shorter key travel distance should reduce the amount of energy transmitted into the metal frame and internal space. Obviously you can keep swapping K70s or try a different brand, but you may not find competing models to be as pleasing. Most Best Buys have a keyboard demo station so you can get your hands on them.
The funny thins is that i have some friends that say that it's awesome that it ping and some that say it's annoying as hell. I have called Corsair support and was pretty much told that some units may have the ping and some may not . While it's not a loud ping that i will hear while at a normal typing distance. If i bottom out it will ping. I have tried even putting it on top of a 3" rubber keyboard and mouse matt, same thing. I have found that depending on what thickness of desk it's on makes a difference. Also I have noticed that when you flip the feet of the keyboard between the different positions it makes the same noise. The bottom of the case is hollow and that's what makes the resonance sound . I would hate to take the keyboard apart and add craft foam. Like i said it saddens me that Corsair is blowing this off. Such a beatifully designed keyboard, all it would take is some padding for the resonance to be absorbed, and the keyboard is a master piece.
Reply With Quote


  #10  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:53 AM
gtstarwars's Avatar
gtstarwars gtstarwars is offline
CS:GO Addict
gtstarwars's PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 32
POST ID # = 1005206
gtstarwars Reputation: 10
Default

I have a k70 rgb mk2 se and its a beautiful aluminum frame. i dont get a pinging sound and its sturdy as hell since its aluminum. the sound i get would be the keys bottoming out if i push to hard and its just normal mechanical keyboard click. you cant really compare a mech kb to a membrane OP. theres so many things different lol.
Reply With Quote


  #11  
Old 05-21-2019, 02:56 AM
gtstarwars's Avatar
gtstarwars gtstarwars is offline
CS:GO Addict
gtstarwars's PC Specs
 
Join Date: May 2019
Posts: 32
POST ID # = 1005207
gtstarwars Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniek123 View Post
I am new to the brand and was told that Corsair is a beacon of quality in the PC market. I bought the K70 MK2 RAPID FIRE KEYBOARD expecting great things. The over all rigidity of the keyboard is great. Cherry MX Silver switches are awesome. What is not awesome is the fact that no matter what surface I put the keyboard on (i have the 3mm corsair keyboard and mouse matt), it makes a loud pinging noise. Best buy was good enough to me and allowed me to exchange the keyboard 3 times, and all of them have the same pinging noise.

I called Corsair support and I was given this answer:

- some keys may make this noise and some won't , and it all depends where you press on the keyboard (not a good sign of quality)
- There may be a break in period and the ping " may go away"
- You can RMA the unit , but it will cost for me to ship the unit to them
- I was also told that some batches of keyboards for this model have this and some don't - wth
- My friend bought the same keyboard in a different city also from bestbuy and his keyboard doesn't have the ping.

Another Issue is the stabilizers if you tap too fast on the keys that rely on a stabilizer it will wedge itself to the side where you hit with too much momentum.

Best buy as a courtesy ended up giving me a replacement plan for free just in case it gets worse. Corsair's response was to have me ship it away.

I guess the days of quality are over , really for a $170 product. I would expect red dragon to have this type of quality but not corsair.
judging based off that, it seems it may be your batch/lot as well since you mentioned your friend had that issue. You can always ask for an advanced RMA if you need a KB to use in meantime. Since it is your first mech keyboard, you gotta adjust to it a bit from a membrane kb
Reply With Quote


  #12  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:09 AM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1005231
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

the clickity clack is fine . it's the metal ping that drives me f'n nuts.
Reply With Quote


  #13  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:10 AM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1005232
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

on top of it i used the prop ft for the first time to see if the noise is in fact noisier in the elevated position and confirmed that it is . I have found that one of the feet was broken out of the factory . No more corsair for me.
Reply With Quote


  #14  
Old 05-21-2019, 07:11 AM
maniek123 maniek123 is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 21
POST ID # = 1005233
maniek123 Reputation: 10
Default

You guys notice that nobody steps in and wants to assist , but if i was to go on best buy and voice my disconcern they would be all over me.
Reply With Quote


  #15  
Old 05-21-2019, 09:33 AM
StrangeGeek StrangeGeek is offline
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Location: On Earth along with 7.5B people
Posts: 91
POST ID # = 1005241
StrangeGeek Reputation: 10
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by maniek123 View Post
You guys notice that nobody steps in and wants to assist , but if i was to go on best buy and voice my disconcern they would be all over me.
There's not much that anyone can do other than tell you to get a refund or RMA the keyboard and wait for the replacement.

The metal ping is perfectly normal for a metal keyboard, I assume this is your first mech keyboard, as most have a metal backplate that, in most cases, will cause ping, just various amounts of it. This could be annoying and undesirable to previous rubber dome users.

For example, I bought a family member a K95 Platinum a few years ago that I won't name for privacy reasons, and another for myself a few weeks ago. Both have 'ping', but mine is a bit less audible compared to the other. This is probably because a different revision as there are some differences between the 2017 K95P and the 2019 K95P, at least in my experience.

A Strafe RGB that another family member owns also exhibits signs of the metal 'ping', but again a bit less than the Platinum keyboards seem to have.

I should also stress, if you are not hitting the keys hard, and cannot hear the ping when typing normally (not hitting the keys with the force of a black hole) than its fine. if you can hear quite a lot, even under normal use, with headphones on etc, than it's worth considering going through the RMA process. Corsair's RMA team have been reliable and helpful in my experience and should be of same assistance to you.
Reply With Quote


Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:30 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.