The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Power Supplies

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-30-2017, 10:59 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 928459
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

The OP has the Asus Maximus VI.

The Tom's Hardware link OP has a Maximus VIII.

What kind of board are you using?

Old 12-01-2017, 09:43 AM
Offen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 928585
Offen Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyguru View Post
The OP has the Asus Maximus VI.

The Tom's Hardware link OP has a Maximus VIII.

What kind of board are you using?
Gigabyte GA-X99-UD7 WIFI (rev. 1.0)

I tried changing to an older PSU yesterday, so far I haven't had any problems. Can turn my PC off an on without any loops or anything. So I don't know what can be causing this issue.

What I did notice tho while troubleshooting. If I disconnected Everything from the PSU(AX860i) the self test worked fine. But when I connected only the cables without anything on the other end of the cables, I noticed that the self test worked fine except when the 10pin plug that goes to the 24pin ATX was plugged in. http://www.corsair.com/~/media/corsa...i_psu_back.png
Top left one in the picture. (The one below the com-port)

Keep in mind I had nothing connected to the other end of the cable. Only the cables themself, so in theory there shouldn't be any issues there unless there is some sort of shortcut between the wires in the cables? But yeah, what I'm saying is that it could be some wrong with the cable? or the connection where the the plug goes in the PSU, a shortcut or something.

What you think?

What I wanna try before RMAing the entire PSU is get a new 24pin ATX cable. See if the problem persists. I was gonna take the cable with me to work and test it with a multimeter. Forgot the Cable at home :P I'll try on monday.

Which of the PINs goes to the POWER ON/OFF control?

Last edited by Offen; 12-01-2017 at 09:54 AM.

Old 12-01-2017, 10:36 AM
PSU GUY
jonnyguru's PC Specs

POST ID # = 928586
jonnyguru jonnyguru Reputation: 179
Send a message via ICQ to jonnyguru Send a message via MSN to jonnyguru Send a message via Yahoo to jonnyguru Send a message via Skype™ to jonnyguru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offen View Post
What I did notice tho while troubleshooting. If I disconnected Everything from the PSU(AX860i) the self test worked fine. But when I connected only the cables without anything on the other end of the cables, I noticed that the self test worked fine except when the 10pin plug that goes to the 24pin ATX was plugged in.
Yeah. That's how the self test works. Read your manual. It doesn't work if the 24-pin cables are plugged in.

Old 12-01-2017, 09:11 PM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 928653
Vegan Reputation: 10

if the 860i is not handling it, go get the AX1500i which has more than enough current to handle even the most extreme overclocking

Cooler Master HAF 932 chassis with the Corsair HX1000i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Old 12-20-2017, 08:48 AM

POST ID # = 931343
Erinon Reputation: 10

Update:

Well I've tried different memory in original PC with 860i and the issue goes away. ("Great", I thought must be the memory...)

I put the original memory in a different box with different PSU and its fine.

Put the 860i and original memory together in new box - no problem

Put them back in original box - reboots galore.

So I've now just swapped the 860i out, with original memory in my original PC and am using a different PSU. All fine.

Maybe there's something else incompatible in my build but with a different PSU my system is stable so I'm happy.

Thanks for your help.

Old 08-29-2018, 01:45 AM
jjga011's PC Specs

POST ID # = 970626
jjga011 Reputation: 10

It's definitely the PSU. Mine will sometimes shut itself off 2 seconds after I press the power button, where it will stay off or start to power cycle. It will power cycle if I try to wake the system from S3 sleep almost every time. The self test thing used to work but now it fails (without showing the red light that is supposed to tell you there is something wrong) instantly as if I'm pressing the power button in the case.

Which bugs me beyond imagination is that I can get the PSU to work normally just by wiggling the cables on the PSUs end.. Why it bugs my so damn much? because at first I though it had something to do with my overclock (which I revised a million times) or any of the hardware I've got installed (I checked every piece of hardware extensively).. I wasn't expecting such an expensive and flagship-series PSU to have issues.

I had it since December 2016 and didn't experienced any issues until about 3 months ago.

I doubt the issue is being caused by the power cables I'm using, but I will try changing them anyways just to be sure.

Customer support is yet to contact me on the ticket I've issued about a week ago.

Old 01-10-2019, 02:18 PM

POST ID # = 989146
joaocorreia Reputation: 10
Default Same thing here in Jan 2018

Hi,

I bought a new AX860i from Amazon (said Corsair) and in the box it said CERTIFIED REFURBISHED.

My computer runs for 20mins and then shutsdown and goes into very quick bootloops.

I think something is bad with this model and tech, I've seen many people reporting this bootloop issue.
Im buying an Assus PSU instead.

Old 01-12-2019, 06:29 AM

POST ID # = 989438
warnings Reputation: 10

Why change ?

Contact directly Corsair they have a very good after sale service.

Old 01-15-2019, 01:48 AM
Hardcore Games
Vegan's PC Specs

POST ID # = 989931
Vegan Reputation: 10

i have one of these and I have not had issues, mind you I have desktops a long time so I have experience with assembly and repair.

with a GTX 750 installed the AX860i is overkill but it's very efficient

Cooler Master HAF 932 chassis with the Corsair HX1000i PSU

Hardcore Games - Legendary of the Only Way to Play

I have been a vegan since 1969. I have experienced more prejudice than anyone could possibly ever imagine.

Old 06-17-2019, 02:45 PM

POST ID # = 1008318
Default Problem returns

Well I recently put my 860i back into my PC and after a few weeks of use the reboots returned. I see that other users are experiencing this as well.

Guess I'm going to go down the RMA route again.... <sigh>

Old 06-17-2019, 08:24 PM
Banned
Waukeen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1008364
Waukeen Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinon View Post
Well I recently put my 860i back into my PC and after a few weeks of use the reboots returned. I see that other users are experiencing this as well.

Guess I'm going to go down the RMA route again.... <sigh>
And I love seeing issues like this. Why? Not because I enjoy seeing others suffer but because I can inform them of their option.

That said depending on where you live (referring to USA here) they have lemon laws for items that aren't cars. Typically you can find them referred to as "Item Merchantability" and this is NY states law regarding it:

"
ยง 2-314. Implied Warranty: Merchantability; Usage of Trade.
(1) Unless excluded or modified (Section 2-316), a warranty that the goods shall be merchantable is implied in a contract for their sale if the seller is a merchant with respect to goods of that kind. Under this section the serving for value of food or drink to be consumed either on the premises or elsewhere is a sale.

(2) Goods to be merchantable must be at least such as

(a) pass without objection in the trade under the contract description; and
(b) in the case of fungible goods, are of fair average quality within the description; and
(c) are fit for the ordinary purposes for which such goods are used; and
(d) run, within the variations permitted by the agreement, of even kind, quality and quantity within each unit and among all units involved; and
(e) are adequately contained, packaged, and labeled as the agreement may require; and
(f) conform to the promise or affirmations of fact made on the container or label if any.
(3) Unless excluded or modified (Section 2-316) other implied warranties may arise from course of dealing or usage of trade.
"

Pretty sure all states have a version but the wording is different depending. TL;DR is this PSU has shipped with the wrong screws wrecking the boards (which johnnyguru should have been aware of as he was involved in finding that http://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?t=168396) which could have something to do with the refurbs. But he does an excellent job of trying to blame shift.

That said, take the gloves off if you want to get anywhere otherwise you are just going to keep getting run through the wringer until you have had it.

Hope this helps. Did me.

Old 06-18-2019, 08:31 AM

POST ID # = 1008405

I'm in the Uk. Hopefully they will accept its duff and give me new one with this issue fixed.

It really is pretty **** that someone like Corsair doesn't fess up and issue a recall.

Old 06-18-2019, 12:06 PM
Banned
Waukeen's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1008427
Waukeen Reputation: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erinon View Post
I'm in the Uk. Hopefully they will accept its duff and give me new one with this issue fixed.
If you're in the UK then you have something similar but from what I know it's better than what we here have in this regards. Don't know the name off the top of my head though.

My guess is that they may have fixed it but still have a bunch of dodgy units out there. But yeah, as much as you have been through you would have thought someone would have pressed pause with your case and taken a closer look at things since you have had the same problem several times.

Hope you get it resolved in a manner that actually solves the issue.

Cheers

Old 06-21-2019, 09:44 AM

POST ID # = 1008776
Default No Reply from Corsair Support to ticket raised 3 days ago.

This is not looking good. Raised a ticket 3 days ago - not had any response from Support. Ticket is showing as open.

Hopefully someone will see it soon and reply.. I'll keep you informed.

Old 06-26-2019, 01:33 PM

POST ID # = 1009390
Default Corsair support seem to have dissappeared

Still no response from Corsair to the ticket I raised 8 days ago.

Raised a second ticket - no reply other than the auto " we got your ticket".

Do they still read these forums?

Pretty poor customer service.

Tags
ax860i, restarting