The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Cases

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 17 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-22-2014, 08:58 AM

POST ID # = 698599
Northwoods Reputation: 10
Default Questions regarding the 900D hard drive cages and sleds

As the title says, I have two questions regarding the hard drive cages and sleds for the Corsair 900D.

(Worth mentioning that aside from the following I am very pleased with the case as a whole!)

Question number one is this:
On the cages, there is a hole that lines up with a hole on a sled. There's just the one hole, and just on one side. See picture, where the mystery holes in question are encircled in red:

I'm curious and a bit stumped as to what that hole is for. As far as I've been able to see, there are no threads for any of the supplied screws to screw into. Does it have a purpose or is it just there?

And, question number two (which is a bit of an opinion as well):
I'm more than a little saddened by the quality of the sleds themselves. I don't think I've ever come across such a cheap feeling plastic in a computer before. Additionally, the (seemingly) mandatory screwless design is causing all sorts of vibration and resonance noise problems. The hard drives (which unfortunately lack AAM settings (Seagate + WD)) are easily the loudest things in my case, and their vibration can be felt on anything near the computer when running (floor, desk, etc).
On previous cases I've owned you could pop out the little rubber vibration-dampening things and use good old fashioned screws. On these, no such luck. The sleds are just too wide for it to really work without seriously bending and breaking the plastic.
Additionally, there's really nothing to prevent the sleds from vibrating all over the cages, which in turn causes more vibrations further in the case as a whole.

Now, the real question number two is this: Has anyone had any success in reducing noise and vibrations from the hard drives in any way? I can't even begin to imagine what it must sound like if you were to use two or three cages at once!
Have I perhaps missed some sort of non-screwless mounting kit that came with the case?

Tags
900d, hard drive, noise, vibration