The Corsair User Forums  

Go Back   The Corsair User Forums > Corsair Product Discussion > Corsair Link

Notices

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-04-2020, 11:36 PM
Steve151's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1044566
Steve151 Reputation: 28

Really good question....I just swapped motherboard and cpu in my system. When I went back together with it, I swapped the ML Pro fans with ML pro RGB on my radiator. Only had 4 fans hooked up to the commander. Now, I have 5 ML Pro RGB fans, or should I say 4, now that the #1 port is dead. Worst part is, Corsair replaced it for the same thing 6 months ago, and now I'm 4-5 months out of my original warranty.

Think I'm going to go with Aquacomputer 6 lt controller this time. 2.5A per fan header, overcurrent protection and time out, and short circuit protection on fan headers. At least I don"t think I can blow it up.....

BTW 5 fans, one per header, ALL Corsair ML fans.

If a way to fix this exists, I'm all for it.

Old 05-15-2020, 08:30 PM
Steve151's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1046444
Steve151 Reputation: 28

For what it's worth, I fixed the dead fan port on the Commander pro. Turns out the driver transistor for port one was blown. Not sure what the original was rated for, but I bought the replacement driver rated to 1500ma. Hate surface mount work, took 45 minutes to replace on transistor and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but it works.
If anyone wants to give it a go, they're available from Mouser. P/N MMSS8550-H-TP

Old 05-16-2020, 02:30 AM
CORSAIR Beta Team
Zotty's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1046488
Zotty Reputation: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve151 View Post
For what it's worth, I fixed the dead fan port on the Commander pro. Turns out the driver transistor for port one was blown. Not sure what the original was rated for, but I bought the replacement driver rated to 1500ma. Hate surface mount work, took 45 minutes to replace on transistor and my eyes aren't what they used to be, but it works.
If anyone wants to give it a go, they're available from Mouser. P/N MMSS8550-H-TP
Well done buddy!!.. i do believe you are the first to bring one back from the other side :)

Old 05-16-2020, 07:23 AM
c-attack's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1046504
c-attack c-attack Reputation: 116

I don't know what the original is rated for either, but would like to see that beefed up for version 2. Nice job.

Old 05-29-2020, 06:09 AM
pk1209's PC Specs

POST ID # = 1048427
pk1209 Reputation: 10

I lost 4 fans ports in a week after all of them working flawlessly for 9 months! RMA underway. Only had 3 SP120 RGB fans plugged in, no splitters, so 0.9a.

Any idea why this happens?

Old 06-26-2020, 02:49 PM

POST ID # = 1051919
treck87 Reputation: 10
Default Power Dissipation Issue

Hi guys,

I'm new in the forum but I just want to confirm the issue with transistors. After replace my Commander Pro using RMA, the second one has same issue:

After a couple of days working fine, start to lose FAN Channels. I've lost 3 of them in my second device.

I've checked the device and transistors are burning. I cannot touch them so it's more than likely that power dissipation is the problem.

I've checked them with a polymeter and they are broken (Even you can see the SOT-23 Packet burned if you look close)

I've orderer new transistors to replace myself and I've added a heatsink to the PCB. The heatsink is quite hot too.

I will post with the result after replace the transistors but I think that heatsink is needed if you want to control 6 FANs of 3-Pins as I have.

I'm electronic engineer so I know a bit about that. This issue will be only when use 3-pin fans because the commander pro needs to regulate the voltage of each fan so BJT transitors dissipate much more power than in PWM where they are always ON.

I hope that this help other people. My fans are rated to a really low current ~ 0.15A.

Old 06-30-2020, 07:22 AM

POST ID # = 1052329
URL Reputation: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by treck87 View Post
Hi guys,

I've checked them with a polymeter and they are broken (Even you can see the SOT-23 Packet burned if you look close)

I've orderer new transistors to replace myself and I've added a heatsink to the PCB. The heatsink is quite hot too.
Hi

If you post a picture of the failed transistors I am sure that would help many people. If you don't, I will as I have two duff CP's here and will give it a go.

Did you use the same MMSS8550-H-TP as Steve?

Thanks

David

Old 07-02-2020, 02:34 AM

POST ID # = 1052542

Hi David,

I'm waiting parts to arrive from eBay. As soon as I rework the device, I will post a short tutorial.

The main issue with the device seems to be power dissipation in 3 pins fans. If you plan to use a 3 pins fan raiting > 0.2A, you need to ensure to run them at a min. RPM to avoid overheat these transistor.

I will post more details when I make a deeper analysis.

Regards

Old 07-02-2020, 05:51 AM

POST ID # = 1052551

Quote:
Hi David,

I'm waiting parts to arrive from eBay. As soon as I rework the device, I will post a short tutorial.

Regards
Hi

I ordered a couple a few days ago, and like you, waiting. Ordered them from a UK supplier and paid through the teeth for them - wanted them quickly... you know the story.

I will swap them out as soon as they come. I did wonder about using a TO92 packaged device - that was you can clip on a heatsink, plus the range of higher powered devices is much higher... that might have been a plan.

David

Old 07-02-2020, 06:04 AM

POST ID # = 1052553

If you can fit a TO92, it will provide better heat dissipation. The key is BJT is working as an amplifier in 3-pins mode. It means (rought aprox.) running FAN at 50% of RPM will drop 6V in transistor. If FAN is rating to 0.3A, it will be around (0.3/2)*6 = 900mW and these transistors are rating to 625mW so you will burn them.
It's just an approximation but it's a valid one.
Check your transistors with a lens and you will discover as they are burned

Old 07-02-2020, 06:22 AM

POST ID # = 1052555

Quote:
Check your transistors with a lens and you will discover as they are burned
Thanks - will do - I had another CP that I think I binned as it was not worth even looking at the repair (when new ones could be found for £40ish) and I did not see marks... but will this time have a very close look.

As you say, crap original design... and identifying a higher power replacement seems the priority!

David

Old 07-06-2020, 07:44 AM

POST ID # = 1053020
Default Commander Pro FAN Port Repair Tutorial

Hi guys,

I've received the transistors (MMSS8550 650mW) and replace all of them in CP (6 in total). See picture:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Ov6...ew?usp=sharing

Now all channels are working fine. In order to test my theory, I add a heatsink and one of the CP temp. sensor to the heatsink:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1Eu2...ew?usp=sharing

Running CP with my default set using 6 FANS of 3 Pins, the temp. increase really fast above 50ºC (It was running 30min. and temp still increasing)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1yxS...ew?usp=sharing

I set all FANS to 100% where transistors shall have a min. power dissipation and temp. quickly drop below 40ºC (After 5min. temp. still dropping)
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1bmq...ew?usp=sharing

As a conclusion, CP can come from the dark side replacing the transistors but you have to be really carefull when using 3 Pins FAN because of Power Dissipation. With this transistors (I'm not sure if factory one are 650mW or 350mW) you can run a 3 PIN FAN without constraint if Current Rating < 0.2 A.

If current raiting is > 0.2A you shall use high RMP to avoid thermal issues.

I hope that help people to fix their Commander Pro.

Old 07-06-2020, 08:52 AM

POST ID # = 1053031

Quote:
Hi guys,

I hope that help people to fix their Commander Pro.
Well done... and thanks for the photos - my transistors came this morning so will swap them tonight.

Really like your idea of using a thermistor to monitor the CP, will probably copy that if I can find a suitable heatsink as it looks a tricky size.

All good fun....and I am sure this will become the go to thread for the future!

David

Old 07-06-2020, 09:56 AM

POST ID # = 1053045

Thanks David,

As reference, I used an M.2 SSD heatsink that fit perfect in the gap bu I cannot put the front housing.

I will update in a few weeks if everything run fine or I have issues again.

Old 07-06-2020, 11:57 AM

POST ID # = 1053071

Quote:
Thanks David,

As reference, I used an M.2 SSD heatsink that fit perfect
Thanks - would not have thought about using one of these - that looks an ideal fit and covers the transistors and a couple of chips by the look of it too.