Corsair Community

H100i (1st Gen) with RGB Fans

Salsiccia

Hi guys,

I currently have a 1st Gen H100i running perfectly with the stock (non RGB) fans that came with it.

I now want to amp things up a bit and have on order 3 ML-120 RGB fans (and the Lightning Node Pro pack that they come with [NoPro]). What I've been hoping to do was to swap the fans over and set the RGB colour according to the temp of the coolant, but I think I've just realised this may not be straightforward.

Here's my thinking: The radiator fans should really be controlled by the cooler rather than by another device such as the mobo, or Commander Pro [CoPro] (which I don't currently have, but am considering getting). This way fan speed is controlled by the coolant temp which is what I want.

The problem I think I have with that is that I can't control the new fans' colour from the cooler because its the old 1st Gen one - if I had the new Platinum one then I believe I could). If I use the NoPro to control the fan RGB is there any way I can drive that from the coolant temp? Cooler is connected to mobo header so sends the data there I assume so that the software can report it. NoPro will also be connected to mobo via its USB cable so potentially can read the coolant temp and make RGB decisions based on that? That's a question, not a statement !!!

A second option that has occured to me is to also pick up a CoPro and feeed the USB connection from the cooler into the CoPro instead of the mobo and then not use the NoPro at all and then the CoPro can do what I want? Plus I will also be able to utilise the temp sensors from the CoPro.

Apologies if this seems dumb, but while I wait for my new toys to arrive at my local store I am trying to plan ahead so I don't waste time once I get them.

Thanks in advance !

Sal

Hmmm ... if iCue can "see" the temp of the H100i (and I'm not sure if that cooler is supported), you would actually be able to set the temps by the coolant temperature. This doesn't require the Platinum cooler at all - just that iCUE can read the temperature. If iCue doesn't read the fan, Link should also be able to do that for you. The NoPro won't be able to read any temps - that USB connection is for Link/iCUE to control the colors. That's what'll read any temps and set colors appropriately.

The fan speeds are standard PWM so they'd connect exactly where your current fans are connected.

Thanks DevBiker - Prompt and accurate as usual !!!

Currently I'm running just LINK, not iCUE and it is reporting coolant temp (I think, but I'll have to double check now).

I'll try to install iCUE later tonight and see what that gives me.

OK, so iCUE doesn't recognise my H100i cooler - too old (I assume) - like me !!

Reinstalling the latest LINK (4.9.9.3) is failing with the helpful Windows error of 0x80070643 which as DevBiker has pointed out in other threads is Windows' way of saying "something went wrong with the install!!" Event viewer points to privilege issues creating directories and suggests rerunning as Administrator, which I've done (after cleaning the directories it complained about manually), but no difference !

I appreciate that LINK is old news these days so I am seriously contemplating upgrading my cooler to a more modern one that iCUE will happily chat to - but the IT perfectionist in me really wants to solve the LINK problem - WITHOUT having to reinstall Windows - it was working perfectly an hour ago before I started this - lol !!!!

Salsiccia - there are posts and posts out there dating back over the last close to 2 years now about this recognition issue with Link and the H100I cooler. I have been having major issues with this cooler over the last few weeks so have been doing research and keep coming across articles with it mentioned.

Apparently anything newer than Link 4.7.something that was put out way back in 5/2017 isn't any good. The 4.7 version actually installs multiple things with it that you need, one of which being a universal bus controller of some sort that allows Link to recognize that the H100I is actually plugged in and there.

Hope that helps turn you in the right direction at least. Last few times I have plugged mine in before I found these posts, I couldn't get my H100I to be found at all.

Hi Timmy,

Thanks very much for your thoughts - I think you have helped reinforce the direction I started to head down last night.

It does seem that this cooler is a bit outdated now and if I want to progress down this path then I think I do need to bite the bullet and upgrade. Its kind of a shame because the cooler itself I have found to be very good - it cools very well and "just works". But if I want the "bling" then its time to move on.

I have decided to change my order and instead of getting the 3 x fan pack with Lighting Node Pro I am going with the newer H100i RGB Platinum and a Commander Pro. This way I figure I can forget about LINK, install iCue which should see everything and then just get on with my life !!

I will hang on to the current cooler for a future build that just needs reliable cooling without the bling.

Thanks to all for advice - very helpful as always.

Maybe its time to bling up my RAM now .......

Sal