Corsair Community

Extremly Bad Performance with MP510 NVME under Ubuntu

So i bought two 1.92 TB NVME 510 drives, excited that i finally can replace my lower smaller NVME drives with bigger faster drives.

The drives are formated with ext4 file System. When i try to copy on them a 160gb 86k files Folder, the Performance starts at 450 mb/s, after aprox 60 gb written Drops under 400, and by the time it has to write the last 30 40 gb, the Speed Drops to under 100 mb per second.

The second one of them, sometimes the Performance Drops so hard it goes to Sub 50 mb/s.

I also see how the drive hangs during the copy process, where the Transfer rate kinda freezes, then resumes, and when it resumes, then it gets hammered.

I mean, what gives ? If sequential Speed is so bad, what can i expect from the other kinds of random writes ?

Any suggestions, or should i return the drives, cause im thinking seriously to return them. Even my Intel 1tb QLC nvme drive performs better.

Something is defiently off. And i cant identify the Problem.

Also, after a Long copy session like that, i Need to restart Linux, because the drive is so "weared off" it Needs a clean restart to recover.

Do i have bad drives ? Bad Firmware, Or maybe is the write Cache in ubuntu ....

What Performance should i be seeing when copying from a 950 pro NVME SSD 512gb, a 160 gb Folder with 85.000+ files to the SSD ?

As it is, im better of getting sata SSDs....

• 4 months later...